Cliffs, Sinkholes etc.

Started by Darmon, March 07, 2015, 03:29:50 PM

Just curious if this has ever been discussed. When your character is newly exploring an area there is a chance he falls into a sinkhole or off a cliff. The few times I have fallen into something recently I was scouting carefully and looking in every direction. A couple times there was no real description or warning that there was a cliff or hole. IRL, you would clearly see such a danger. Exploring in this game you can fall into something with no warning when in reality you would see the danger.

I can see if your trying something like climbing, but can't do anything just moving into an area.

Also, some rooms will describe the dangers in their day-time descriptions but not their night-time descriptions.  Don't know if that applies to your case or not.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Yeah I use exits. Every location I look every direction and do 'ex'. Just seems like the only way players wont succumb to these pitfalls is if they are using prior experience from that past characters mistakes.

You still fall even with prior experience unless you are some super savant - I'm sure veterans have funny stories about falling all the time.  You should check room descs and if an exit even HINTS at something bad, you'll want to not even bother, unless you want to risk it.  I do agree that it is jarring to try to figure out how your PC, who sat there at the cliff's edge, looked at things, looked at the exit, spent time thinking about it, then went north and OOPs would do that, but I just make something up post hoc to justify it - I got distracted or the mount got jittery or whatever.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

If there is no indication that a hole was there, in either the room description or through >look (direction) , please >typo the room that you fell from.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Prioritize con and play dwarf. Then group killing holes becomes a minor inconvenience.

I liked a feature that Atonement had where exits that lead to a major drop would be marked in red text, as a big, readily-visibly warning.

I do think that the number of deaths to very large obvious holes in armageddon is a little over the top.

I haven't died from one in ages. Usually a yawning chasm has a hint in the room description you're in, during the day, that says "I AM A GIANT YAWNING CHASM TO THE NORTH" - but when you're spamwalking in the desert you tend to miss those things... or when you're not paying any attention. Or skimming.

It is a bit jarring when you hear IC that 20 people fell down a hole all at once and died. You should not automatically follow people down a hole when you just saw them plummet down an abyss.

Quote from: Beethoven on March 13, 2015, 09:00:33 PM
It is a bit jarring when you hear IC that 20 people fell down a hole all at once and died. You should not automatically follow people down a hole when you just saw them plummet down an abyss.

Ugh, I always feel so bad for the followers. I mean the leader maybe deserved it, but all the guys who were codedly forced off the cliff before they had a chance to do anything to save themselves.

Bleah.

I don't know, I like that there are stories of the dangers out there that trickle in.  I do agree the code is a bit clumbsy about it, however.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

There's a bit of difference between stories of danger trickling in and a lemmings-style retelling of how Lieutenant Hardass and his platoon of soldiers are dead because not a single one of them realized mid-step that they were flinging themselves off a cliff.

alias fm follow me

This is one of the first things I do when setting up a new character. If you're playing someone who is observant look where your leader is going and be ready to stop following when you see a hole! Also toss out an up or the opposite direction
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I followed someone off a cliff once. Good times.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

I survived falling off a cliff once.

I didn't survive what was at the bottom of it.

Good times.

When exploring an area, it's good to read the room description first before anything else.  Once you've looked it over and know what you should expect, generally you don't need to read them again unless you have some deep RP going on.

I look in all directions, check exits, and look for in room hidden objects/storage items by issuing a "key .".  You'd be surprised what you find in some rooms.  When in doubt, don't enter a room if you think it's will cause your death.  I can't say how many times I've stupidly walked into a room that later I was like, damn... why didn't I check the exits from the previous room.
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

I don't care what anyone says. Vets survive sinkholes, poison fruit, dangerous animals, and other traps by using what they learned from previous characters. If your a ranger or venture out in the scrubs often, impossible any other way.

Vets also fuck up and fall in sinkholes.

This is the biggest beef I have with chasms, this, a million times.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

It still sucks but I wouldn't look at it as they all just walked off the cliff or edge, but that edge or cliff gave way and they plummeted to their deaths.

I did it a few characters ago. I was on my own tho, tired, playing late,  just wandering about and my heart stopped when I hit w and then caught sight of the room description I was leaving... ugh. I cant type stop that fast.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

that's actually a better explanation for it, but that still shouldn't claim everyone.

Anyway, the shoddy, unrealistic climb code completely excuses people who walk around with climbing gear at all times, in my opinion. Such as the famed climbing spikes. You fight fire with fire; silly chasm/follow code, take silly equipment bonuses to climb. That's the status quo.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Centurion on March 18, 2015, 05:18:31 PM
It still sucks but I wouldn't look at it as they all just walked off the cliff or edge, but that edge or cliff gave way and they plummeted to their deaths.

This seems to be the best IC response, and was just what I was thinking.

In real life, large groups of people are routinely associated with tragic falls.  It's for this reason that military personnel break stride when they cross bridges (to keep from destroying it with resonant feedback).  If you're crossing a frozen body of water with a large group, you're well advised to spread out.  Et cetera...

Zalanthas is a crumbling wasteland... leaders worried about this sort of thing might be well advised to figure out some kind of protocol IC to keep it from happening.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on March 18, 2015, 06:07:34 PM
Quote from: Centurion on March 18, 2015, 05:18:31 PM

In real life, large groups of people are routinely associated with tragic falls.  It's for this reason that military personnel break stride when they cross bridges (to keep from destroying it with resonant feedback).  If you're crossing a frozen body of water with a large group, you're well advised to spread out.  Et cetera...

Tragic falls are one thing, marching off a cliff like a bunch of lemmings is quite another.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone except the group leader should have been granted a resurrection. Shit has been broken since forever.

Marching forward with everyone else, the young man says, in sirihish,
     "Guys, where are we going?"

With a sly smile, the elderly man says, in sirihish,
     "To our deaths, son. The leader has walked off the cliff, so we must follow."

Stopping dead, the young man says, in sirihish,
     "I uh... I don't feel like it."

The young man stops following.

Everyone else falls.

Is it possible to make drops like these "no follow" zones like certain gates where tolls are necessary?

QuoteYou watch as the person in front of disappears from view and decide to rethink your steps.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on March 19, 2015, 01:59:20 PM
Is it possible to make drops like these "no follow" zones like certain gates where tolls are necessary?

QuoteYou watch as the person in front of disappears from view and decide to rethink your steps.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 19, 2015, 02:06:12 PM

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

But only if it is a clear weather day. I can imagine following behind someone in a heavy sandstorm is pretty much just staying as close to them as you can with extremely limited visibility.

I like the idea if there is no storm.

If there is a storm, "I can't see Leader Amos five feet in front of me anymore, but, I was already barely able to see him to begin with....oh crap I'm falling!".
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

You would hear him scream.

Also, I imagine a good ranger would actually tie everyone together with a rope to get through a blinding sandstorm.

The tall, muscular Sergeant was in front of you just a moment ago, but now he isn't.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 19, 2015, 07:30:57 PM
The tall, muscular Sergeant was in front of you just a moment ago, but now he isn't.

>Scan
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on March 19, 2015, 10:00:16 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on March 19, 2015, 07:30:57 PM

>Scan

You look around the room intently.
You notice you are standing in the air above a hazardous cliff.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 19, 2015, 05:20:47 PM
You would hear him scream.

Also, I imagine a good ranger would actually tie everyone together with a rope to get through a blinding sandstorm.
A rope with hooks item that hitches you to whoever you follow if they're wearing one.

The tall, muscular Sergeant tries to walk north, but falls.
You feel a sharp tug on your rope from the north, then a crisp *snap* relieves you of the tension.

I don't know if this is feasible.  However, I got tons of ideas for labyrinthine traps for large groups for future RPTs from this, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Leave it to staff t come into a thread about preventing terrible death-falls and say "Hey, guys, thanks for giving me ideas for more death-falls and other shit!"

Well done guys, well done!

How about a wisdom or dexterity check for everyone following?
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Quote from: WithSprinkles on March 20, 2015, 04:22:57 PM
How about a wisdom or dexterity check for everyone following?

The problem is mostly 'Byn specific. The 'Byn incurs an automatic wisdom decrease, regardless of starting stats. Further penalties are applied depending on your rank.

I don't think it'd help.   ;D

Perhaps as mentioned in another thread, or here....memory's bad and I'm pretty sure I'm still drunk from last night, a nosave climb toggle option could be added?
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."