Should drunk-falling code be removed?

No, I'm a masochist.
18 (34.6%)
BURN IT TO THE GROUND.
27 (51.9%)
Maybe, because...
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Maybe it could use a revamp. But alcohol barely has enough negatives as is. I want it all redone to make it more realistic. I don't want it simply removed.

I thought this was going to be about how fucking stupid it is that you can lead a huge group of people off a cliff. Like lemmings. When obviously, after the first few go falling, those in the back of the group should wise up and go uh uh. I ain't disappearing down that ridge with the rest of those idiots. That needs to stop.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Sure, make drunk code better. Start with getting rid of falling down. Or maybe relegating it to when you're nearing blackout-drunk instead of tripping every 5 rooms when you're "semi-intoxicated".

March 07, 2015, 07:52:49 AM #3 Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:55:05 AM by Harmless
what's so bad about falling down? Just stop moving around so much and wait it off like a proper gentleman.

If you're not going to fall, then I demand that you piss yourself every 5 minutes and make them pants and boots smelly like they ought to be, you drunk bastards.

(edited to add: my posts at this point are not serious. I know staff is perfectly capable of revamping alcohol code to be a lot more realistic and such without the GDB's help, so there isn't much more to discuss here is there? Unless they WANT our ideas. I am assuming alcohol is as it is because there are higher priority things to do)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Ashes, ashes, we all BURN IT TO THE GROUND.

I'd just like to see it changed a little. Keep the falling-down code. But adjust the frequency of falling so that at lower rates of drunkenness, there's less chance of frequency. Then, add a *random* chance of "whisper self" things you were codedly trying to "think" once you get to the point of actual "intoxicated." Reasoning: Makes sense that the drunker you are, the lower your inhibitions and the more likely you are to say what you're thinking. The code would need to obliviate anything you include in the "emoting" part of your thinks - just simply bypass it when converting think to whisp self.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I had one character a year or more ago that got drunk once and he was stumbling and falling every step, yet he got up and rode his huge inix without falling once. That should be changes. If one can't even walk one shouldn't be able to ride without consequences.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 07, 2015, 10:54:11 AM
I had one character a year or more ago that got drunk once and he was stumbling and falling every step, yet he got up and rode his huge inix without falling once. That should be changes. If one can't even walk one shouldn't be able to ride without consequences.

Maybe attach the "tremendous sandstorm" situation. That way, you won't fall off - since the mount isn't the one that's drunk - you are. But you steer it in random directions.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I imagine the real-world experience of the teenagers that originally wrote and coded Armageddon colored their implementation of the intoxication code a little bit.

It probably should just be a feeling echo (and maybe drop in stun), allowing players to RP out the rest.  Falling down is one of the least interesting effects of the booze!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: manonfire on March 07, 2015, 10:58:58 AM
I imagine the real-world experience of the teenagers that originally wrote and coded Armageddon colored their implementation of the intoxication code a little bit.

The "falling down" drunk part of the code was written waaaaaaaaaaaay after the original code, like after 2000 for sure.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

The falling down drunk code is redunkulus.  Axe it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on March 07, 2015, 01:11:03 PM
The falling down drunk code is redunkulus.  Axe it.

The only thing I could think of.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

It's also one of the coded aspect of the game that I completely ignore without feeling bad about it.

Sure, I'll roleplay it once when it happens but I'm not going to start acting like I'm a one-legged zombie stumbling aimlessly around for brains just because I've had 3 shots of whiskey.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 07, 2015, 07:47:18 AM
Sure, make drunk code better. Start with getting rid of falling down. Or maybe relegating it to when you're nearing blackout-drunk instead of tripping every 5 rooms when you're "semi-intoxicated".

This, please.

Agreed, falling down should be, at most, the very upper end of intoxication effects.  Wouldn't mind seeing it go entirely, though, in favor of better effects.

I'd rather see things like stat penalties, language skill penalties, echos to the player, involuntary hemotes/emotes, etc.

Also the effects should be delayed rather than imposed immediately upon drinking.

Really really hate this code.  Really.  It is unduly annoying and not at all realistic.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

If anything, it makes getting drunk 'not worth it' I suppose.

I voted "No, I'm a masochist."

I think its funny, I've only done it accidentally a few times.

Sometimes on purpose.

I think it's fine when you realize what the levels actually are.

light-headed: Buzzed, where I USUALLY stop drinking irl.
Semi-intoxicated: Bad time to drive. I never reach this stage around my children irl.
Intoxicated: You're drunk and smell like a drunk and people notice you're drunk cause you're fucking drunk. No longer able to feign sobriety.
Extremely intoxicated: You're now the guy nobody wants at the party, good job asshole.
Totally plastered: Well into blacking out, maybe see a doctor, nobody is returning your ways the next day. Weird.

Treating the levels in the game accordingly yields more realistic results.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I've been drunk enough to pass out but normally I reach the "super buzzed" level that comes just after buzzed that you often reach when you're drinking with friends. That's an awesome place to be.

Also I despise the drunk code.

Quote from: Majikal on March 12, 2015, 06:48:43 AM
I think it's fine when you realize what the levels actually are.

light-headed: Buzzed, where I USUALLY stop drinking irl.
Semi-intoxicated: Bad time to drive. I never reach this stage around my children irl.
Intoxicated: You're drunk and smell like a drunk and people notice you're drunk cause you're fucking drunk. No longer able to feign sobriety.
Extremely intoxicated: You're now the guy nobody wants at the party, good job asshole.
Totally plastered: Well into blacking out, maybe see a doctor, nobody is returning your ways the next day. Weird.

Treating the levels in the game accordingly yields more realistic results.

Except I've never fallen down while "intoxicated" (by your definition) in real life. Maybe once or twice when "Totally plastered" but I think I actually just slipped on ice a couple times.

I really really really think it would be cool if there were a list of super clever feels that the game blasted at you while you were drunk, and then you could RP appropriate (maybe coupled with like a hit to stun or something and a slow-down in speed so that there is some coded effect that I take it the fall-down is supposed to emulate - it's dumb to think you can drunkenly spam-run away from an encounter.)

So!  For instance:

You suddenly feel like sharing about your sex life.

You suddenly feel like hugging a dwarf.

You suddenly feel the overwhelming urge to cry.

You suddenly feel extremely insulted.

You suddenly feel really sexy.

You suddenly feel like flexing that left bicep, and, hell, why not, kissing it.

You suddenly feel like you cannot get an erection.

You suddenly feel totally pregnant.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on March 12, 2015, 01:19:56 PM
I really really really think it would be cool if there were a list of super clever feels that the game blasted at you while you were drunk, and then you could RP appropriate (maybe coupled with like a hit to stun or something and a slow-down in speed so that there is some coded effect that I take it the fall-down is supposed to emulate - it's dumb to think you can drunkenly spam-run away from an encounter.)

So!  For instance:

You suddenly feel like sharing about your sex life.

You suddenly feel like hugging a dwarf.

You suddenly feel the overwhelming urge to cry.

You suddenly feel extremely insulted.

You suddenly feel really sexy.

You suddenly feel like flexing that left bicep, and, hell, why not, kissing it.

You suddenly feel like waying your ex-lover and begging to be taken back.

You suddenly fell like waying your ex-lover to insult them.

You suddenly feel like waying you boss some totally inappropriate remarks.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Suddenly?

I bet you were imagining both men and women getting this echo.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"