Author Topic: Terrorism Survey (Doing a Research Paper)  (Read 1609 times)

James de Monet

Terrorism Survey (Doing a Research Paper)
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:10 PM »
Hey all,

I'm writing a research paper about the evolution of terrorism, and I decided to write about societal understanding of the word "terrorist", and need some feedback to do so!

If you're feeling kind and have 2 minutes, please post or PM me with your answers for the questions in the image below (you probably need to click on it).  You can give just a single answer to each question, or put the possible answers in order of preference, if you want.  THERE ARE NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS.  There are some questions that might seem touchy, but this survey isn't about education or prejudice, or anyone being correct or incorrect; it is simply about how you, as a part of society, understand the ideas, so your first instinct is probably going to be the most accurate answer for my purposes.  You can also skip answers if you are stumped.  There are a couple of demographic questions at the end to help me identify patterns in the answers, but I am going to collate all the answers together, so you won't be personally identified in the final result in any way.

Thanks much for your help!

I probably should have included a question about whether you have spent any time in the military, but oh well.  You can write that in if you like.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:49:28 PM by James de Monet »
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Aruven

Re: Terrorism Survey (Doing a Research Paper)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:58:31 AM »
Just a couple observations, maybe consider putting a picture of blackwater (academy) mercenaries into the first question, as well as a corporate executive, or maybe even the people who enforced the sanctions in Iraq when millions of children died, shit, or a picture of a NATO or US service member.
Also, if this is just a simple poll to pass a class, cool, got you. Otherwise, i'd make a comment that it struck me as put together by someone who has a very negative opinion of 'one type' of terrorist and the answers expected to be picked kind of stand out compared to the other option ; not an objective poll.

2. Insurgent (Because USA media uses these terms interchangeably) *Look up a video game called 'Insurgency' for instance.

3. Religion (because the answer 'Centuries of ignorance, prejudice, and misunderstanding have culminated into frustration and violence was not an option I could pick)

4. Mixture of A/B - Keep it simple ; B.

5. B/D are almost one and the same to me because other than 9/11 generally a 'hijacking' is to take a significant amount of hostages instead of one, and it seems to me hostages would be the best way to try and leverage media and political change. B.

6. H. -> Anywhere the quality of life has deteriorated to the point where 'terrorists' feel the need to take action.

7. A (Just give you the answer probably desired here, even though generally i'm pretty sure everyone knows 'terrorists' use everything from planes to guns)

8. C

9. A (Again these questions seem invariably set up to make you immediately think of stereotypes)

10. B

11. B

Just for fun here is my estimate about (not people on this board) what you should expect to get most often form people in general ;

1. 1/7/8/10
2. C
3. C
4. C
5. C
6. C/E
7. A
8. B
9. A
10. A/B
11. A - E.

James de Monet

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Aruven, I appreciate your comments!  I'll respond to some of them in a few days, but I can't do it now without risking skewing the answers of further responders.

There are no right or wrong answers, however. I only want your answers to be what you really think (within the unfortunately limited scope of the choices available).

Thanks to all who have replied so far!
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Aruven

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
Aruven, I appreciate your comments!  I'll respond to some of them in a few days, but I can't do it now without risking skewing the answers of further responders.

There are no right or wrong answers, however. I only want your answers to be what you really think (within the unfortunately limited scope of the choices available).

Thanks to all who have replied so far!

:P You want me to delete all the extra shit in an edit until your poll is over haha?

James de Monet

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
No, it's cool.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
So I would have taken this if I didn't hate and feel the need to nitpick the questions/answers to death. When given 4 answers that I don't really relate to it feels like I'm being forced to pick something that doesn't represent me. I feel like it's forcing simple answers to very complicated problems down my throat and making me answer with them.

James de Monet

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:08:34 PM »
So I would have taken this if I didn't hate and feel the need to nitpick the questions/answers to death. When given 4 answers that I don't really relate to it feels like I'm being forced to pick something that doesn't represent me. I feel like it's forcing simple answers to very complicated problems down my throat and making me answer with them.

Quote from: The note on the survey itself
Also, feel free to write in an answer to any question other than #1 if you do not see an answer that suits you.

I agree that multiple choice is not the best forum to fully represent the complexity of the issue of terrorism, however, it is terrifically difficult to collate and graph essay responses.

Whether that makes it more approachable for you or not, I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Case

• Helper
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:47:16 PM »
1. All pictures... terrorists don't look like anything. (looks are irrelevant when identifying a terrorist, although styles/weapons/equipment may indicate allegiance or be evocative symbology relevant to a movement).

2. Activist (Terrorism is violence/threat for political purposes and is a form of activism)

3. Politics. Definition of a terrorist. Politics may be inclusive of race/religion depending on cultural and social realities.

4. B

5. Depends on the goals and environment. They are arguably most likely to be guilty of 'terrorism' and it will depend often on jurisdiction and activities.

6. In terms of likelihood - and per capita - areas with weaker centralised governments.

7. Threat of harm

8. Depends on goals, but these days, arguably anything with a large media impact. Individuals and things/places of sentimental or historical value.

9. Unsure how this could be quantified. Depends on crimes committed. Historically, there's been a mix of ABCD, from lone wolf hostage taking, to opportunistic murders over many years in the names of causes, to shooting sprees, to groups like the KNLA.

10. D

11. B

James de Monet

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »
I wonder if the responses I would get if I reissued this survey today would be vastly different from those I got in 2015.

That kind of ties into the premise of the paper, but I might be surprised.

Kyviantre

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 10:25:43 PM »
Did not notice the date on the first post, but recognised the name and was all "Oh, I remember this guy, I should help out...", and then spotted it was a necro-thread.  Well I can't help you now  :P
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

williamson

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »
Are you requesting more answers?
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

James de Monet

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 12:10:54 AM »
Did not notice the date on the first post, but recognised the name and was all "Oh, I remember this guy, I should help out...", and then spotted it was a necro-thread.  Well I can't help you now  :P

Heh, not with my paper, no.

Are you requesting more answers?

I mean...I don’t need them as a favor anymore, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about how the past 5 years have shaped new responses!  :D

rinthrat

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 08:35:36 AM »
I wonder if the responses I would get if I reissued this survey today would be vastly different from those I got in 2015.

That kind of ties into the premise of the paper, but I might be surprised.

You might get vastly different answers if the survey was anonymous and not tied to our gdb accounts, too. 

triste

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »
I just want to know what dumbass decided to found a modern terrorist group and call it a dumbassed 55 IQ name like the "Proud Boys."

Oh right, the same sort of guy who tells his followers to "choke a trannie" while simultaneously squeezing massive [redacteds] out of his backside.

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1303414445306126336?s=20 nsfw idiocy

Oh my god in this video he says among saying the n-word 50 times, "I notice Puerto Ricans are so fucking verbose," LOL yes, and more eloquent than you ya dumbass proud boy.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Halasturd

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
I'd suggest using https://www.surveymonkey.com/

it's free

Kyviantre

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 10:15:48 PM »

Heh, not with my paper, no.

Sounds like you need help with other 'things'...   >.>
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

James de Monet

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »
Sounds like you need help with other 'things'...   >.>

Me needing help is probably generically true enough to be almost axiomatic, but I was referring to my curiosity.   8)

I'd suggest using https://www.surveymonkey.com/

it's free

Yeah, that’s a better idea.  I wonder if I didn’t originally because it wouldn’t let me set up the questions the way I needed to (pictures, multiple answers allowed, etc.)