Roleplay in Outside City Walls

Started by Darmon, February 06, 2015, 07:05:07 AM

In recently going outside the city walls with others, I at first found myself difficult to keep up. I was trying to use emotes and such like I would any other time. It seemed like the other players did not use so much. With being outside the city walls you have to make it to the next point before dark etc. So my question is, I am assuming it is acceptable to use little to no emotes outside of the city walls when you are traveling/fighting on account of safety and time?

You can still throw in a couple of emotes when you're riding outside of the city. Emotes are good, but just don't pressure yourself with it. There's times when stuff gets too intensive, like during combat, or when you're in an RPT and there's just too much spam. No one will tell you off for not emoting sometimes. Emoting just brings the life into your character.
I ruin immershunz.

It's perfectly acceptable, yes. Especially when you're rather new out there and trying to keep up and juggling with your weapons and re-mounting and gathering all the materials and dismounting and so on and so forth. There's a ton of spam involves with that sort of stuff. Even if you're not even doing that much... take a look at everything you have to get right, all without emotes added in for flavor, and all for just one simple task:

A large, insecticoid scrab arrives from the south
>es shield
>dismount
>kill scrab
COMBAT INTENSIFIES
Scrab falls to the ground
>kill scrab
ANNOYING COMBAT DELAY
Showing Mercy you withhold the killing blow
>mercy off
YOU WILL SHOW NO MERCY
>kill scrab
*beep*
>sheath sword
>draw knife
>skin scrab
>get firm
>get firm
>get head
>get meat
YOU CANT CARRY THAT MUCH!
>put all.bag
>get meat
>get shell
>put all.bag
>pack bag
>mount
>sheath knife
>draw sword
>remove shield
>nod leader

I mean.. I even forgot almost forgot some stuff and I've done this shit thousands of times. There's a ton of stuff to remember

Just relax, eventually you'll be able to do all of that and throw in an emote here and there too. Also, not every trip is going to be frantic like that, it's common, but not an always thing. Mostly this happens when there's multiple people you're riding out with, and the leader needs to keep a lot of things in mind, so they probably aren't emoting or talking a ton either.

ALSO, very important, don't take anything personally. We've all be there, falling off our mounts, going in wrong directions, and generally fucking up simple missions for our leaders. It can be frustrating, but I promise, anyone who's playing for a while should be used to it. Any leader who doesn't take into account the added time it takes to get newbies/unskilled people across the desert is going to find themselves very irritated.

Quote from: Darmon on February 06, 2015, 07:05:07 AM
In recently going outside the city walls with others, I at first found myself difficult to keep up. I was trying to use emotes and such like I would any other time. It seemed like the other players did not use so much. With being outside the city walls you have to make it to the next point before dark etc. So my question is, I am assuming it is acceptable to use little to no emotes outside of the city walls when you are traveling/fighting on account of safety and time?

I think it is perfectly fine not to RP outside especially till you get confidence in commands, outside environment
Also, even Veteran players kill via spam spells/kills/bashes/charges and chose to emote later on, etc.
Also, i think emoting is not = roleplaying.

Thank you. Interesting. I suspected as much just wanted to make sure. Can you elaborate on emotes does not = roleplay?

Emotes do = roleplay. What he's saying is emoting isn't the only way to roleplay. You have thinks, feels, and just simply using the code to do actions that your character would. Basically just because you aren't emoting doesn't mean you aren't roleplaying.

February 06, 2015, 12:59:25 PM #7 Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:01:43 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: Delirium on February 06, 2015, 12:54:03 PM
roleplay = cake meat & potatoes
emotes = icing gravy

ftfy

icing is gross
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I do wish there were some way to do non-coded RP outside the city more, but it is -really- really hard, because of at least:

a) time constraints - you can emote all you want at the Gaj or at a dinner party and just pretend you haven't been having a conversation for two days straight without sleep; not possible outside the gates.

b) code / combat constraints - you have to be ready for IT (whatever it is) and if IT gets you while you are mid-emote, well, you are fuxq0red.

c) group dynamics - I'm pretty sure my leaders hate my talkative PCs on missions where the status quo is (for good reason) to nod and grunt, otherwise STFU.  (Good reasons being: the leader has a lot on his/her plate, and if that wezer arriving from the west goes unnoticed, well, oops.)

That said, I do think people take things too seriously outside the gates.  I mean, most of the time the "hunt" is fruitless, with just a scrab or a few raptors unless you screw up or staff gets involved.  Some of my best RP experiences have been campfire RP or goofing off in tents (and by goofing off, I mean what you think I mean).  (I've twice had the romance disturbed by an errant scrab who decided to attack the tent.  Nothing like being a buff naked ranger in such situations.)  What can I say, I'm a sucker for a harsh desert planet, krath's pink fingertips gliding through the salt flats at dawn setting them on fire, salt worms dancing on the horizon, and the purple mountains rising up out of the singing grasses, and all that: so romantic.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 06, 2015, 12:49:10 PM
... just simply using the code to do actions that your character would. Basically just because you aren't emoting doesn't mean you aren't roleplaying.

That.

A bit off topic but I also remember one staff member who almost never used emoted talking. I loved it. (Perhaps it was Halaster?)
I also loved Baeden Kadius, he used to make several chests in a row without emoting, Yet played the character nicely with creating plots for hunters & crafters.
Many other examples...

Pretty sure one of Nyr's best quotes was:

"fleeing is roleplaying"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

RP while the c-elves are kanking in the tent. It's the perfect excuse, although all anyone ever does is complain about how you won't ride and threaten to knock you out and drag you there because OMFG we should be able to travel in the blink of an eye.

EDIT: Could easily be fixed if the silly ban on spice in Allanak were lifted.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword