Help with the map.

Started by Jihelu, February 04, 2015, 05:50:26 PM

I've looked at the map.
I've tried measuring distance based on the lines on it.
Tried walking from point a to point b.
And I can't make rhyme or reason out of it, no matter how hard I try...
Can anyone like, help me figure out HOW MUCH one block is on the map, or how to get to certain places? I can't do it for the life of me...

The maps aren't meant to correlate perfectly.  You should learn to navigate like you do in (pre-GPS) real life: by landmarks and street intersections.

However, if you get well and truly lost in your character's home city, there's the ">directions" command: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Directions

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 04, 2015, 05:54:18 PM
The maps aren't meant to correlate perfectly.  You should learn to navigate like you do in (pre-GPS) real life: by landmarks and street intersections.

However, if you get well and truly lost in your character's home city, there's the ">directions" command: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Directions
Have been using that to get to major areas, other than that, I've been going around just looking for places to buy things from.
Had the idea.
"Why don't shops have signs"
Then I remembered people couldn't read and almost cried.

In Tuluk the city is separated into regions. The main roadways create a outline of these 'regions' and serve as one size of room when you're mapping. The Red Suns Commons, for instance, counts as a region and has different sized tiles so will need to be put on a different map. It took me about 2 hours to map out a new map when the shink-ray came to Tuluk, with this in mind, you should be able to make one in similar time.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Some shops will have a room description that gives you a hint, i.e.
"A stand selling weapons."

A lot of the time it just takes trial and error to occasionally notes to yourself to remember "Where IS that sucker who buys flowers?"

Otherwise, trial and error and repetition are your best ways to learn the lay of the land.

February 04, 2015, 06:36:22 PM #5 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:12:18 PM by Nyr
Never understood why the helpfile maps, especially for the cities, weren't 1 to 1. If a player wants to apply for a character that knows the city like the back of their hand, they should be able to. Just another one of those OOC things that separates veterans from newbies.

February 04, 2015, 07:15:56 PM #6 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:13:06 PM by Nyr
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 04, 2015, 06:36:22 PM
Never understood why the helpfile maps, especially for the cities, weren't 1 to 1. If a player wants to apply for a character that knows the city like the back of their hand, they should be able to. Just another one of those OOC things that separates veterans from newbies.
I want to do the whole 'discover things'.
But my character has never left the city...and should be able to, like you say, know it like the back of his hand. Maybe we should be able to ask specific npcs for even 'more' directions. To specific local stores.
"Where can I get some armor?"
"Oh go on by that hut to the west a few blocks".
Idk.
Also, if I were to make a map, what would I make it with?

February 04, 2015, 08:10:25 PM #7 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:13:19 PM by Nyr
Quote from: Jihelu on February 04, 2015, 07:15:56 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 04, 2015, 06:36:22 PM
I want to do the whole 'discover things'.
But my character has never left the city...and should be able to, like you say, know it like the back of his hand. Maybe we should be able to ask specific npcs for even 'more' directions. To specific local stores.
"Where can I get some armor?"
"Oh go on by that hut to the west a few blocks".
Idk.
Also, if I were to make a map, what would I make it with?

As far as I can tell, not knowing where things are in the marketplace is one of those mud artifacts that we keep around because its retro and cool, like LOOK echos.  I've been with veterans who have spent ages with my PC wandering from shop to shop to find item X.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

One way to rationalize not knowing your way around your home town is this:

The locations you can find in Directions (big taverns, stables, banks, etc) tend to be fixed structures that have been in their locations for very long times.

Many of the smaller shops in the game are in tents, stalls, or smaller buildings. They can be assumed to be of a more transitory nature.

So your character might know where the Bazaar is, or where Freil's Rest Marketplace is, but not know what's available and where at any given time.

Sure, over time everyone learns where everything is because it's largely static (though there are some wandering merchants in the game), but I doubt anyone will give you grief if you ask for directions in game or don't seem to know your way around. The cities of Zalanthas are very big, with a lot of virtual space that isn't actually represented in game. So our characters could grow up with all the traders and amenities they needed, and still not really know their way around the larger city.

Edited a few posts.  Even if you do not understand why there is not a 1:1 map in-game or in helpfiles, it would be better to ask that question than to direct someone to something clearly not authorized.

Something that would help out would be the directions command if you are not familiar with it!  Just type "directions" by itself and it will point you to general locations in the city that you are in.  In Allanak, it will send you to the Bazaar.  In Tuluk, it will send you to the Market.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

February 04, 2015, 08:39:46 PM #10 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:52:40 PM by RogueGunslinger
edit: pointlessly argumentative

To make a map?
I use pencil and graph paper a lot of the time. For areas, I find it helpful just to sketch
a map of landmarks. It helps to find myself when I get lost.

Get a cheap copy of excel or something like that, and get in game, and start from your tavern. Put a T in your excel sheet, then leave the tavern. Put a M for market in the next square, or R for road, or what I find also helps is going with numbers when it's not just a generic room with nothing in it. So I could have a 1 for the weapon shop, which I'd note down on word pad, so I don't get mixed up in case M is market in the city, and Mountain outside. So have a excel spreadsheet open to map, and notepad to correspond your letters/numbers. But, as someone said, you might need to map the quarters, as they might not all fit together in a perfect square. Check your rumour boards, maybe there's a name you could contact, and see if they could show you around the city for a few coins? Tha'ts a little jarring if your meant to know the city like the back of your hand, but if your new, it's okay really. Pretend your drunk and your a bit lost? There's always RP around it.

Good luck!
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Open Office is free - and comes with an excel clone. That's what I used - though I started with graph paper.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

LibreOffice too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Jihelu on February 05, 2015, 05:17:01 PM
Quote from: Barsook on February 05, 2015, 01:07:43 PM
LibreOffice too.
Is Libre office user friendly?
Also, whats the 'excel' clone in it? The file type.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 05, 2015, 06:11:13 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on February 05, 2015, 05:17:01 PM
Quote from: Barsook on February 05, 2015, 01:07:43 PM
LibreOffice too.
Is Libre office user friendly?
Also, whats the 'excel' clone in it? The file type.
In Open Office it's Open Calc. It's likely similar in Libre, as I think they're by the same company.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"