Disconnecting due to idleness

Started by Dar, December 28, 2014, 02:47:25 PM

Heya, folks.

Thought to ask this at ask the staff section, but in reality anyone can answer this.
Does Arm disconnect you if you're idlying for too long? Let's say 30 minutes, or thereabouts? I'm using gmud and I notice that I lose connection if I dont input anything for some while. It doesnt tell me this. I just stop receiving output at some point, then if I try to put in a command of my own, it tells me I'm disconnected from the server.

Is this something that happens to others as well, or is my client all wonky and has a grudge on me? I've literally sat at aspots for an hour (usually at work, so jumping windows), waiting for someone to arrive and not realizing that I've been long disconnected from the server and there is actually a shit load of people there, I'm just not getting any output.

December 28, 2014, 02:55:22 PM #1 Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:16:36 PM by Lizzie
It happens to me once in awhile but I've never tried to figure out where the disconnect was happening (client side or game side). I know I don't have autologin/out toggled on, but I have a really old version of mushclient (4.73), so who knows what it's doing.

Edited: I don't have autologin/out toggled on, not off. I do have it toggled off.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Happens to me too. The key isn't sending a command but either sending or receiving data.

trick I use is to make the mud ping me with various echoes.

Sitting in the Gaj you will rarely be disconnected for example, because room echoes refresh your client.

Having at least a little hunger helps. This is also IC for some PCs I play.

Contacting someone and holding it or keeping a barrier up will keep me connected because of the "suffer from use of the way" message.

Do having stuff happening around you will keep you connected. The most reliable trick is to send any command, even hitting enter,every 5-10 minutes.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Never had this happen before and I've had a couple times that I've thought I logged and went to bed. Came back the next day with my character practically starving to death and was able to go around get food and rest up till they were healthy again. I'm using Mudlet though.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Mine does it sometimes, other times it doesn't. No idea what effects this, but changing clients seems to matter.

You can set your client to ping also put it on a timer. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Unless something's changed, the game won't automatically disconnect you from the game side.

I use Mushclient myself, and I'm not sure if it actually disconnects me if I idle for a while, but it does have this strange behaviour where it essentially lags me out if I'm idle too long, and I need to reconnect anyway.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse