Your first choice of location to play a PC

Started by Incognito, December 03, 2014, 01:33:26 PM

What's your first choice of location to play a PC in?

Allanak
45 (51.7%)
Tuluk
13 (14.9%)
Luirs
7 (8%)
Red Storm Village
4 (4.6%)
Tribal
8 (9.2%)
Labyrinth
6 (6.9%)
Undertuluk (if it existed)
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Quote from: jstorrie on December 10, 2014, 04:36:04 AM
I picked Tuluk but I actually hate Tuluk and don't know I roll all of my PCs there. grasslands are just too comfy I guess.

Pfft.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Labyrinth is where I got my first kudos. I love it and I'm gonna play the shit out of it, especially now that they've put some makeup on the old whore.

I don't mind Tuluk, that being said I don't think I've really played there for ... eight years?

Prior I played in Tuluk when I wanted to play crafters. Pretty much in it for the coded resources.
21sters Unite!

I like Tuluk, but I like Allanak better.  Ive had a few characters that went back and forth between the two enough to have both accents.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I love Tuluk and have since I started playing, but I still switch things up every so often so I can see the other areas of the game

(and distance myself from the people my last character knew)

December 21, 2014, 01:45:56 PM #55 Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:47:32 PM by Harmless
Tuluk is great. Its area is beautiful and really adds a lot to the game world. Tuluk is simultaneously an area of hope for the future of mankind on Zalanthas and a place with a power structure that both crushes that hope and maintains it. It's complex and it's important.

I don't think Tuluk needs to be an area open for playing at all times. At several points during long lulls I wished that IC events had truly closed Tuluk "off" to players, at least for a little while. Then it could come back.

At points in its history it was destroyed, or nearly so, then rebuilt; it has been invaded and controlled by Allanak for periods of time, during which Allanak was ICly dominant. I think that similar plots should continue to happen, because the fact is that interest in it wanes over time and then it comes back again.

I think a huge mistake is keeping it open at all times and always trying to keep it populated enough to make it feel alive. I think what makes more sense is letting IC events have their way with it, then using staff power to push it BACK into popularity. I don't think OOC recruitment drives are the best way to do this, just one way to do it. But there's no best way to do anything, especially when it concerns Tuluk, which has always been an ancillary theme to Zalanthas, where Allanak has always been dominant (fact). It's just whatever staff (and to some degree, players) agree would work, and the key is avoiding stagnation. Sometimes an attempt at rejuvenation can feel more like continued stagnation.

Sorry for a rant, but people are talking about it here right now.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The idea of closing Tuluk has been suggested time and again for the past several years. There are a couple of major reasons why it is unlikely to happen via an OOC, staff-triggered decision, even temporarily.

- Tuluk gives a major alternative location to start a character in, should a player wish to avoid an area for a time (for example, after a character death). If the only playable city was Allanak, RP would be centered around Allanak constantly, and stagnate as players continue to play with the same groups of people.
- Tuluk is a foil to Allanak in the setting. Each city antagonizes the other. This gives the game an avenue for world-spanning, PC-versus-PC conflict, as opposed to the PC-versus-staff world conflict that would be left over with only one city (or no world conflict at all, or world conflict between disproportionate entities with a clear winner, e.g. Allanak versus a tribe). In other words, world-spanning plots would either become non-existent or have a pre-determined ending, which is not really conducive to the player-driven plots.

That being said, I don't think anything is "ancillary" about Tuluk at all. Tuluk and Allanak are meant to be equivalent but opposing forces, in the grand scheme of things. Just because this is not always represented by PC numbers doesn't make this any less true.

Also, there is no recruitment drive, and there never will be one. All that was ever posted was a suggestion/reminder that Tuluk is an option for people and playing in Tuluk will help both sides of the world have more fun, and that playing in different areas helps round out your skills as a roleplayer in Armageddon. It's just a reminder that, if you're clamoring for another type of conflict or another side of a conflict, there are options. The last thing we want as staff is for players to feel bored, or stuck. We are doing our best, and many player ideas are discussed staff-side to see how they might be applicable to improving the game's overall "fun factor".

The suggestion worked, because Tuluk be bumpin'.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Nergalor world conflict between disproportionate entities with a clear winner, e.g. Allanak versus a tribe

u wot m8
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I play where the character concept fits.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

With the re-re worked Gulg data that came out a few years (like.. maybe 10) Tuluk is more like Gulg now rather than when Dark Sun was fresh. I mean, I like the idea of a Moon Queen, but eh.. It's loopy enough up there.

Again I don't know what it is currently as I haven't been to Tuluk, but I think in my prime of really playing Armageddon some of the best times I've had in Tuluk was when there was lots of traffic from everywhere. I'd imagine with whats going on in game that isn't a thing currently ...

But I think the major conflict story line really needs to get sorted out somehow.
21sters Unite!

Tried to finish that, because I think it's beneficial for the game to have options and travel and mingling.
21sters Unite!

December 22, 2014, 01:24:41 AM #63 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:29:54 AM by Kismetic
Expected this thread to be from 2002, was disappointed.  Almost got me when the OP had an ICQ link in their profile.

Edit:  Oh, I picked Luir's, because there was no setting for nomadic that isn't tribal, but I've probably played the most in Tuluk.