Graceful exit

Started by Drone, November 16, 2014, 01:28:39 PM

I'm wondering what are some socially-acceptable ways of signalling IC that you, the player, need to make an exit ASAP due to real life? I'd like to avoid using ooc chat whereever possible unless the building's on fire, but emoting how tired I am or saying "welp, I've got to hit the hay" when it's the middle of the day in-game is getting a bit stale.

There are wide variety of options.

"Got some chores to catch up"

"Ugh theres my <vnpc> mate/child in my head again reminding me I have to do something."

"Ooop.  Gotta shit."

folks understand.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

'Gonna go take a walk'

'I have to go run some errands, I'll see you next week'

'Friend/Family Member is shooting me a Way, I gotta go'

'I have to go take care of something'

===

Basically any excuse followed by 'I'll see you next week' will give people the hint
Part-Time Internets Lady

I always found it perfectly acceptable to say I have to go rest. If you're a soldier you have wall duty.... But going to rest in the middle of the day is quite understandable, considering you could have been up hunting/grebbing/talking/having sex/crafting/whatever it be for the last 3 days straight. Also, I figured if IRL there are people that are night owls and sleep in the day there should be people like that IC as well.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Gotta drown the kids in the pool.

Wow, that spicy pepper did a number on my insides.

Must... poop... if I'm not back in three days... give my belongings to Derpina.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Clan specific ones:

"I've got gate duty."

"Sergeant's calling me."

Or the tried and true:

"Gonna take some rest."

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Make it interesting once in a while for fun.

"Krath damn!  Did you see that?"  (runs out and has something interesting to talk about another time)

"Look at the (gender specific feature) on that one!"  (bolts)

say (grabbing ^me head) Oh shit!

Quote from: Culinary Critic on November 23, 2014, 08:07:59 PM

"Krath damn!  Did you see that?"  (runs out and has something interesting to talk about another time)

These made me laugh, thank you.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Nobody ever questions it if you say you've got to go take a dump.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I've never had anyone question any of the following:

"I need to go rest."
"[Chosen] Lord/Lady need me"
"I have guard duty."
"Going to spend some alone time with the mate."

Quote from: Fathi on November 24, 2014, 02:46:16 AM
Nobody ever questions it if you say you've got to go take a dump.

Yup. This is often my excuse, especially when I'm in the Byn.
"I gotta go replenish the shit we just scraped. Ugh."
"What did he put in the Byn stew this week? It's making my stomach burp."

Etc. Etc.

Now everyone will know who our characters are!!  Drat.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

>e (backing out of the room while giving the occupants both fingers)

>quit

Quote from: BadSkeelz on November 24, 2014, 01:30:37 PM
>e (backing out of the room while giving the occupants both fingers)

>quit

sap amos

quit ooc flooding in my kitchen

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

quit ooc avoiding IC complications :P
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

quit ooc bear at the door
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I don't think most people are quite as uptight over ooc as some fear.  If someone needs to convey something ooc, I'd rather they just say it and get back to rp, than spend 10 or 15 minutes trying to subtly hint at it IC - which I've seen.  Its just a question of appropriate form of delivery.  A message of "my character thinks yours is sexy, lets kank!" is a good example of "should be handled IC" however long it takes to get it across.  When the message is "hey - I need to stop rp'ing and leave for work" then just ooc is and make a flimsy excuse and go... instead of (as I've seen a couple of times) hinting at it, glancing at the door, checking the time of day, yawning and looking sleepy, etc. which might indicate wanting to leave (among several other interpretations) but don't say you have to go in RL.  I think most people will be understanding about prioritizing RL over game, and personally I'd rather someone I was in RP with spend more time on the rp and then make an abrupt exit, than take several minutes making a long and flowery withdrawal.

My normal one is...........

Bye.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

These can be funny once in a while, but I'd be careful about using them too much. I remember digging through a clan forum once (I want to say Borsail) and seeing a post from the imms reprimanding people from getting too nuts with it. Apparently it had become an OOC game among clannies to make up the craziest / funniest excuse possible. "I've got to go teach the Recruits how to spot Lover's Bleed -before- they stick it in." Etc.

But every once in a while, DEFINITELY go for it. Come back with a made up story of what happened too, for the bonus. (Our characters do live virtual lives, when we're not logged in, after all.

That being said, most times you can just say "I'm going to go rest." Or any ordinary thing. Everybody knows what's up. You can usually make a plausible IC excuse that everyone will recognize right away. No need to OOC unless you're in an exceptional situation - the middle of a Byn contract or something.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I had to ooc one time, because the person wasn't getting it.  Usually though people get it.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Say I should go.

e;e;e;s;e;quit

"I'll be in my bunk."
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."