Serious mutations.

Started by Piotrhabera, October 04, 2014, 04:56:16 AM

Hi!
I am very well interested in creating an character with an third arm protunding from his right shoulder.
HOW DO I MAKE THIZ POZZIBLE?

To help with that i will give rough cons and pros of 3rd arm mutation.

PROS:You are able to triple-wield weapons our use an two-handed weapon with an shield or an one handed weapon THE POSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESSS!

CONS: This arm owerwrites your left or right shoulder in this fiashion: <right shoulder>: an muscular arm protrunding from the shoulder.

October 04, 2014, 05:09:20 AM #2 Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:11:56 AM by Piotrhabera
ANOTHER PROS: The third arm will have these slots:
third arm
third hand
And for weapons: tetriary hand

October 04, 2014, 08:32:29 AM #3 Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:37:25 AM by Barsook
From the help file:

Mutant Roles
(Characters)

Mutations available to players should never exceed a certain threshold. Mutations should be more about making a character sub-human, rather than super-human.

If a mutation will affect you so strongly that your base race is no longer discernible, it is not acceptable for play as a character. Your base race must be READILY apparent in both your short description and your main description. Mutant is no longer acceptable as a short description keyword.

If a mutation might otherwise be deadly towards you (translucent skin), or give your character a severe power increase (laser beams from your eyes), it is also not acceptable.

Being a mutant may dramatically change your social standing, but it in no way changes the culture for your race. Mutant dwarves still operate like normal dwarves, and mutant halflings still eat you.

While mutations are more prevalent in some areas, they are by no means the majority of any civilized population. Minor cosmetic mutations (extra finger, mismatched eyes, mottled skin) may be applied for in any standard application. If a mutation would have a noticeable effect on a character's lifestyle (claws instead of fingers for instance), forcing them to adapt differently to mundane activities like eating, holding weapons, etc, the concept must be applied for with a special application.

Mutations that give an advantage (armor plating, stat boost, infravision) may be allowed through a special application, though each will be closely examined for potential imbalance and abuse. Beneficial adjustments will only be accepted if they are coupled with appropriate disabilities, such as armor plating without the ability to wear normal armor.
See Also:
special application

Anyways, based on what you are suggesting, I think the staff will say no to this since it requires more coding than say, a mutation with a stat boost.

Edit to add: We also have player helpers that can help you via the helper chat.  The link is on the front page of the game site.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Oh, Well then WHAT advantage mutations is acceptable?
Gomme me some examples and i might think...

First thing: I noticed you placed your character's name in a post in the ask the staff section. Don't do that next time.

Second thing:
the helpfile Barsook posted for you answers your question. I'll say that it is far more likely that staff would spend the time to give you a race altering mutation, which is what you seem to be seeking, later in your playing career. What you'd probably want to stick with right now, if you absolutely must play a mutant, are small things like scales, chitin growths, small claws, and other things that you can play with without expecting any coded ailment or advantage.

Right now, if you really wanted to get a secure foothold on your perception of the game, my main advice for you would be to maybe not worry about mutations and templars and such things, and just play a normal guy who survives for a while. This is the best way to really get to understanding the world, so that later on, you can make some of these choices on your own with more authority and knowledge at your beck and call.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

October 04, 2014, 02:40:00 PM #6 Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:43:17 PM by Barsook
7DV is right on the fact that you should play a normal person (read: any race, but still based on racial roleplay help files) who survives for a while the reason that he states.  Along with understanding the game world, playing a normal person will also allow your PC (player character) to accepted better than a mutant.  I would suggest you to play a human in either major city (Allanak or Tuluk) and start with a guild that allows your PC to be hired.  I would suggest a merchant, hunter, or a warrior as they are allowed, IC, to say out loud what they do for a living without getting trouble.  Plus there is always a clan or even a PC that can hire your PC.  Do this for as many PC's until you are nearly to fully understanding how the game world works, then you can start playing around with ideas for special app'd PCs, including mutants.

As for your REQUESTS question on Ask the Staff forums, this UPDATES page can give a feel for how long certain types of requests are resolved.  Also, as Talia said, you should think about asking here and asking HELPERS but I would recommend that you first read the FAQ's and the other HELP before you ask.  Most of your questions are indeed easily answered in the help files.  You just need to explore and read them.

Don't ask why I used all caps and bolded the links. Sorry if that annoys someone or isn't allowed.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I changed "lists" to "states", as it makes more sense.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Piotrhabera on October 04, 2014, 10:34:37 AM
Oh, Well then WHAT advantage mutations is acceptable?
Gomme me some examples and i might think...

This is included at the bottom of the helpfile.

QuoteMutations that give an advantage (armor plating, stat boost, infravision) may be allowed through a special application, though each will be closely examined for potential imbalance and abuse. Beneficial adjustments will only be accepted if they are coupled with appropriate disabilities, such as armor plating without the ability to wear normal armor.

Note that we won't really be able to tell you what will get approved--in large part, this is because this is a process in which you, the player, show to staff what you plan to do.  Depending on what you present, your overall ideas for the role, and your understanding of the limitations and intention of mutation as it exists as playable in Zalanthas, you will see a response that fits it.

However, the amount of approved codedly beneficial mutations is so low that I can count it on one hand.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

This gave me some ideas for small mutations. Like say claws: Hand-to-hand would involve the 'so and so claws at you' echo you normally see from some animals when they attack, plus the slight damage boost they get. Can't wear gloves, can't wield weapons.

This would be considered a major nerf to a combat character, but adds just enough flavor and an interesting coded bit to go with it(that would hopefully not be hard to implement, using stuff that's already coded).

Another idea would be chitin skin that give + to armor, but you can't fit real armor over it, and get a negative multiplier to agility to account for moving with chitin plated skin. That would be cool too, and doesn't seem very complicated.

This is the sort of thing I'd expect staff MIGHT accept, when it come to actual coded alterations. Staff got any comment on those sorts of ideas and their viability, or am I going to get "We can't tell you until you app it."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 06, 2014, 08:00:29 PM
This is the sort of thing I'd expect staff MIGHT accept, when it come to actual coded alterations. Staff got any comment on those sorts of ideas and their viability, or am I going to get "We can't tell you until you app it."

Drink.  Less.  Coffee.  (and read up one post)

Quote from: Nyr on October 05, 2014, 10:02:18 AM
This is included at the bottom of the helpfile.

QuoteMutations that give an advantage (armor plating, stat boost, infravision) may be allowed through a special application, though each will be closely examined for potential imbalance and abuse. Beneficial adjustments will only be accepted if they are coupled with appropriate disabilities, such as armor plating without the ability to wear normal armor.

Note that we won't really be able to tell you what will get approved--in large part, this is because this is a process in which you, the player, show to staff what you plan to do.  Depending on what you present, your overall ideas for the role, and your understanding of the limitations and intention of mutation as it exists as playable in Zalanthas, you will see a response that fits it.

However, the amount of approved codedly beneficial mutations is so low that I can count it on one hand.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

My bad, I guess I wasn't being very clear.

It's not the concepts that matter to me, it's how willing staff is to add things coded to characters, regardless of whether that have a shitty app or not. I guess my question would be; If all other aspects of an application are good(background, how it fits the setting, how it could possibly create plots) how far is staff willing to go code-wise to help that application come into being.

Telling someone it's a case-by-case basis doesn't do a very good job of establishing what is normally accepted or not. And probably leaves people a bit miffed when they try to app and are told "no." OR just leaves them unwilling to ever try to App becuase they figure nothign will go through. For instance a newbie has no idea the coded limitations of the game. For all they know adding a third arm is easy as pie, where as us vets know for sure something like that will never see the light of day, Gobudolulk[sp] the cleaner be damned.

A list of examples of past coded alterations due to mutations would be nice to be added to mutations docs, for instance. Whether they're positive mutations or negative. I'm assuming the coded additions that Nyr can count on his hand that were only positive were so long ago as to be bad examples. But just by saying that you leave people open to "So you're saying there's a chance!" type of mentality.

Actually, that's a fair point. A guideline of 'accepted mutations' in the past for special applications might provide a good guide for people to follow, and not be definitive.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Those are in the helpfile, though.  Armor plating, stat boost, infravision.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Oh, well than should be all we need.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Nyr on October 09, 2014, 02:06:24 PM
Those are in the helpfile, though.  Armor plating, stat boost, infravision.

Huh, you're right, it's right there. My bad, that's neat. I want a character with infravision now.

I hope you like reduced visual capabilities during the daytime.

Quote from: Saellyn on October 09, 2014, 03:46:42 PM
I hope you like reduced visual capabilities during the daytime.

What was the point of this speculative comment?  Just curious...  You trying to discourage the player from playing a mutant or something?

It's not speculative. You have to have some sort of crippling effect to have a mutation. Lesser sight during the daytime. I'm suggesting the trade-off to infravision.

Quote from: Saellyn on October 09, 2014, 04:44:18 PM
It's not speculative. You have to have some sort of crippling effect to have a mutation. Lesser sight during the daytime. I'm suggesting the trade-off to infravision.

Not necessarily crippling, just an appropriate disability.

I make plenty of mutants without a special app. I carefully plan my stat order, guild and subguild and age choices such that everything lines up to create the "code" behind the character concept I have in mind. I have had great success with this simple method, and great enjoyment too.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Okay. Not -violently- crippling, but something potentially mildly crippling in a way. If you get infravision, you need some kind of disability. You can't just have infravision (maybe if you spec app it hardcore and beg?) and nothing disabling like poor dayvision, or you're given a character that's way too strong.

Quote from: Saellyn on October 09, 2014, 09:19:11 PM
Okay. Not -violently- crippling, but something potentially mildly crippling in a way. If you get infravision, you need some kind of disability. You can't just have infravision (maybe if you spec app it hardcore and beg?) and nothing disabling like poor dayvision, or you're given a character that's way too strong.

I think we can let the staff worry about balance and what not.  I'm more interested on whether or not some freaky mutant with bulging red-eyes that can see in the dark would add something cool to the game, and I think maybe it could if there was a good player behind it. 

Oh dude if some mutant fucker was talking to me in the dark I'd be freaked out and too scared to do a damn thing but listen to whatever they had to say. That's the epitome of -terrifying-. Anytime I'm in the dark, and someone talks -dierctly- to me, my butt clenches a bit.

Be the change.  Be a mutant.

The athletic, red-eyed male stands here.

<face> A pair of darkly framed sunslits

Eyes closed as he slowly removes his pair of darkly stained sunslits, the athletic, red-eyed male says, in mutant accented sirihish, 'You should start running....'

A beam of scarlet flames spring from The athletic, red-eyes male's eyes hitting your torso!

The athletic, red-eyed males beam hits your torso, doing horrendous damage!

Welcome to Armageddon!

I believe I have my next Krathi app...
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on October 10, 2014, 01:06:59 PM
The athletic, red-eyed male stands here.

<face> A pair of darkly framed sunslits

Eyes closed as he slowly removes his pair of darkly stained sunslits, the athletic, red-eyed male says, in mutant accented sirihish, 'You should start running....'

A beam of scarlet flames spring from The athletic, red-eyes male's eyes hitting your torso!

The athletic, red-eyed males beam hits your torso, doing horrendous damage!

Welcome to Armageddon!

I believe I have my next Krathi app...

Dibs on Storm! Who would live in Red Storm, and be an Elk/Whiran hybred
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I like the idea of a mutation that triggers the attack magics of magickers when they or the mutant walk in on each other?