Death waits for me outside

Started by BeyondCreation, September 03, 2014, 09:44:14 PM

Quote from: Reiloth on September 06, 2014, 04:34:05 AM
I as the Player full on knew that Giants can subdue you, and then engage in combat, which used to lead to almost infant fatalities. I think this may have been changed since this time, but it was definitely the case for a while. So OOCly, I knew I was potentially walking into a death trap. But ICly, my PC was too stubborn, prideful, and also naive and stupid to think she was in any danger.

And this is why Zalanthan life expectancy is so low. It's the half-giants going around squeezing babies to death. TO DEATH. (Note: Not really a problem if they're doing it mostly to half-elves or elves.)

Just to actually contribute a little, I pretty much agree with Reiloth's point. I very frequently put my PC into situations where, yes, they could be quickly and easily killed by another PC, but my PC doesn't think that's going to happen. So it's IC to go along with whatever the scene is. In general, I have found the playerbase to be pretty trustworthy in this regard.

When my PCs have died, it's either been because reasons or to critters. I'm certain none of my PCs have died just because some other player had an OOC desire to PK.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'm certain none of my PCs have died just because some other player had an OOC desire to PK.
[/quote]

What about an IC desire to kill?  Confronted with an easy target, I imagine there's many characters that its all IC for them to grin and hack you to pieces for their own profit, training and/or reputation.  And on my side of it, not even having armoring nor a weapon let alone equipped one or learned to use it...  I think its completely IC to run from a dangerous-appearing situation, if I don't (ICly) think I can simply walk away from it safely.  I can't really say more without relating events.  All I was trying to say was I think I could improve on posing a reaction before or as I run away.  My choice of reaction was quite appropriate and IC.

Quote from: icewindsong on September 08, 2014, 01:46:37 AM
What about an IC desire to kill?  Confronted with an easy target, I imagine there's many characters that its all IC for them to grin and hack you to pieces for their own profit, training and/or reputation.  And on my side of it, not even having armoring nor a weapon let alone equipped one or learned to use it...  I think its completely IC to run from a dangerous-appearing situation, if I don't (ICly) think I can simply walk away from it safely.  I can't really say more without relating events.  All I was trying to say was I think I could improve on posing a reaction before or as I run away.  My choice of reaction was quite appropriate and IC.

Well, I get that, and I understand your feeling. I think after a while you will come to OOCly trust the playerbase somewhat, and then you will find that your fears calm down some. I feel pretty certain that there are not that many PCs who are interested in trying to kill every "easy target" they see. Yes, it is Zalanthas, and it's a very harsh world, but newbie boots aren't worth all that much compared to the stuff most PCs spend their time doing.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah...This isn't a PVP server on an MMO. There are consequences for murder, depending on where you are and who you are. While it happens every day, it is under the right circumstances.

Most PC's would know that traveling outside of the gates of any city will mean your chances for dying rise exponentially. Depending on who you are, and where you are in that city, those chances might be just as high.

There aren't many 'grief-ers' around here. Some, but not many.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I don't think anyone is saying that running away from something/someone scary isn't an appropriate IC action if it's what your character would do. If you happen to be facing another player, though, it makes a more interesting scene if you emote fleeing in terror first, or cry out for help, or interact in some way, rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

In the case of mean beasties like mekillots and bahamets, of course, just GTFO as quick as you can. NPCs are twinks and don't emote. :(
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

such twinks
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

If you really want to explore the wilderness aspect of the game and not die, you might consider playing a warrior rather than one of the other guilds.  Warriors can, out of the box, at least deal with some of the nasties you'll encounter.  Other guilds, not much.  Particularly avoid going outside if you're playing say, a city elf pickpocket or assassin.  ;-)

Quote from: jcortrig on September 09, 2014, 04:27:55 AM
If you really want to explore the wilderness aspect of the game and not die, you might consider playing a warrior rather than one of the other guilds.  Warriors can, out of the box, at least deal with some of the nasties you'll encounter.  Other guilds, not much.  Particularly avoid going outside if you're playing say, a city elf pickpocket or assassin.  ;-)

Rangers can rock some wildlife too.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Rahnevyn on September 08, 2014, 01:04:47 PM
... rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

run is a command?  Okay...  I guess I really just walked away from danger..   Good to learn this now before I have a bahamet or other big nasty on me.  :)

Hi new player...

I don't think anyone is saying that running away from something/someone scary isn't an appropriate IC action if it's what your character would do. If you happen to be facing another player, though, it makes a more interesting scene if you emote fleeing in terror first, or cry out for help, or interact in some way, rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

Couple random bits of advice in this same vein:

1. One way you can get away with being a not-so-fast typist (or familiar with the game) is to rely on your client or aliases.  Here's an easy one:

alias flee flee (with a growing expression of fear and panic)

Every time you flee, even in an attempt to escape subdue, it will contain this detail.  You don't lose any functionality, and now you have an emote cocked and ready to go - prepping you for an RPT or a trip through raider-infested sands or whatever.  I'd also encourage you to change the alias after it's been used once or twice to avoid being repetitious (once you're out of danger).

2. If you only somewhat suspect a player of plotting your demise, don't forget about the 'watch' command.  This could buy you some time if you're lucky.

3. Avoid alleys and long strolls by yourself at night - just as you might in real life in an unfamiliar and dangerous city.

In the case of mean beasties like mekillots and bahamets, of course, just GTFO as quick as you can. NPCs are twinks and don't emote. :(

Also, n.b., not all NPCs are as stupid as you might think.  Some will try to rendezvous with you even once you feel you're safe... :(
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Run is a status, so if you type 'run', you will speed up to a fast run. Don't make the mistake of 'run south'. It's just a state. So Run sets you to run, walk to walk, sneak to sneak (if you can).

~Jack Vance~

Fleeing also makes you run, so make sure you hit "walk" once you're safe, or else you're going to sprint all your stamina away and suddenly find yourself without any moves left.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

My characters often find themselves in dangerous situations.  They are worried they will die but it's their duty or they can't appear weak. It's fine to be afraid unless dwarf. In that case enter spider nest to see if spiders can detect hidden, drop light so people can see what is in there, escape and calmy report your findings.

Quote from: icewindsong on September 09, 2014, 04:39:21 AM
... rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

run is a command?  Okay...  I guess I really just walked away from danger..   Good to learn this now before I have a bahamet or other big nasty on me.  :)

If you're on foot in bahamet territory I think running is the least of your concerns, one of the highest likely being "why did my mount abandon me" followed by "what am I doing out here!?"

:D

Staying inside really is no safer than going outside to an extent, because death waits for you inside too.

up up down down west east west east space return
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword