Finding RP?

Started by OmegaAleph, August 14, 2014, 07:32:04 PM

Hi!

So I'm looking into Armageddon and thinking it looks cool. I'm curious how often RP happens and how easy it is to get a newbie character into RP.

On another note, are there more RP intensive roles/classes/organisations/whatever?

Thanks! :)

Welcome to Armageddon!

Armageddon is a roleplay-enforced game, and thus RP happens all of the time, in every role/area/organization/etc, since everyone is doing it. That being said, it is relatively easy for a newbie to get into RP, since you can dive right in and start roleplaying with other people.

Perhaps only condition to RP is that you familiarize yourself with the documentation on the website so that you're up to speed with the game's setting, although it is very extensive and you may want to go over the basics before you play, then read more as you're playing.

-insert obligatory 'join the Byn' advice here-
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

It is very easy to find RP.  I'd suggest hanging out in your local tavern to get started.  And then maybe looking for work.  I find it's usually easiest to get tossed right in to whatever cool stuff is going on if you are in a clan or hunting group of some sort.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: OmegaAleph on August 14, 2014, 07:32:04 PM
Hi!

Hi there! Welcome!

Hi!

So I'm looking into Armageddon and thinking it looks cool.

It's not. It's hot, and harsh, and hot, and sandy, and did I mention it's really hot? But it is by far the best MUD on the net, bar none. Our community is friendly, mostly, and many have been around for over a decade now! Our Staff are amazing, and always working to improve the world, and support the players.

Hi!

I'm curious how often RP happens and how easy it is to get a newbie character into RP.

I'll break this bit in two, as both are similarly related, but miles apart.

Armageddon is a Roleplay Intensive MUD, or RPI. Meaning, we expect people, new or old, to act In Character from the moment they step into the world, to the moment they meet their grisly end. Usually, it's a violent one. So RP happens all the time, it's constant, and expected. This sounds daunting at first, sure, but honestly, it's not as hard as it sounds.

As for the second point, I'd say fairly easy. Players are usually quick to spot a newbie (It's a steep learning curve, after all!) and seeing as, at one point or other, we've all been there, people will almost always treat you one of two ways. They'll take you under their wing, and help you find your feet, or point you to someone who can. Or they'll just kill you for your phat lootz.

On another note, are there more RP intensive roles/classes/organisations/whatever?

I believe this is the point where I direct you to the T'zai Byn, a mercenary group IG, and unofficially, the Armageddon newbie training corps. It's usually filled with new and old players alike, and is a great way to learn the way the game works, as well as have a group you can guarantee will almost always have someone about to RP with.

The starting Races are Human, dwarf, half-elf, and elf. It's recommended that new players pick Human to begin with, as the other races have several underlying factors of RP that require a little fore-knowledge to RP, racism in Zalanthas is a common, and accepted practice.

As for a starting Guild (or Class, if you will) I'd advise Ranger or Warrior, as these two classes give you the best chance to survive long enough to find your feet, and get an idea of what the world entails. Ranger also lets you quit outside the cities in non-quit safe rooms, whereas other guilds need to find a safe room to quit in, and these are few and far between outside of any walls.

Also, there's a Helper Chat, with players who have extensive knowledge of the game world, available through the main website, and if one can't answer your questions, they'll be able to direct you to someone who can! You can tell who these guys are, as they have 'Helper' jus under their Board names. And without a doubt, you'll see one or two replay right here!

Once again, welcome! And I look forward to killing maiming torturing Meeting you In the game!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

On the rare occasion it's more difficult. Maybe people are rping and they are not making an effort to include others and that can be intimidating. For the most part this is situational. Maybe their pc is of a higher station in life and your pc is not the sort they can socialize with. Or maybe they are in the middle of a scene that would command their pc's complete attention. This is not the norm. But if it happens do not be discouraged. Someone will come along shortly, in a position to extend themselves more.

Welcome.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."