On Distance, Room Size, and Travel

Started by RogueGunslinger, August 12, 2014, 01:09:05 AM

August 12, 2014, 01:09:05 AM Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:12:57 AM by RogueGunslinger
Soo measurements are driving me a little bonkers. Mostly because I'm terrible at math... Not sure if this has always been the case ,but this is in the documentation:

QuoteLonger distances use units called cords, which are 15 inches long. Such
units as miles and leagues are also commonly used, descended from the
Bendune conventions of the nomadic tribesmen, a mile being 5,333 cords, and
a league equalling three miles.

5,333 cords? So a Zalanthan mile is not equal to an earth mile? If an earth mile is 5280 ft at 12 inches long, shouldn't a Zalanthan mile, at 15 inches per cord be like. 6666.25 cords?

Or is this me being horrible at math? 5,333 seems like such a weird number to go with.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 12, 2014, 01:09:05 AM
Soo measurements are driving me a little bonkers. Mostly because I'm terrible at math... Not sure if this has always been the case ,but this is in the documentation:

QuoteLonger distances use units called cords, which are 15 inches long. Such
units as miles and leagues are also commonly used, descended from the
Bendune conventions of the nomadic tribesmen, a mile being 5,333 cords, and
a league equalling three miles.

5,333 cords? So a Zalanthan mile is not equal to an Earth mile? If an earth mile is 5280 ft at 12 inches long, shouldn't a Zalanthan mile, at 15 inches per cord be like. 6666.25 cords?

Or is this me being horrible at math? 5,333 seems like such a weird number to go with.

How did you calculate that?

I'm completely unfamiliar with Imperial measurements here but from my quick search on the internet: 1 Earth mile = 63360 inches.

63360 / 12 = 5280 feet

63360 / 15 = 4224 cords

Where does the 6666.25 cords come from? 6666.25 x 15 = 99993.75 inches!

If inches are equal between Earth and Zalanthas then miles in Zalanthas are longer. There are 79995 inches in a Zalanthan mile (5333 x 15)

I've always thought there is a small variance though in all measurements. Inches/Cords/Miles/Leagues are just English translations of the Sirihish words.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I thought it should be more, not less, interesting. As how I got 6666.25... It's embarrassing of course but lets see. I took 5,333(Which is now obviously part my mistake, shouldn't be working with that number at all) and divided by 12, then multiplied by 15.

I did it the opposite way as well and got 4266.4 but that didn't seem right, but is also closer to your number.

Maybe Zalanthan inches are equivalent to Earth feet, and even dwarves are gigantic to Earthlings.  Who knows?  I wouldn't get too caught up in it.

When in doubt ...  wizards.

Quote from: Kismetic on August 12, 2014, 04:29:59 AM
Maybe Zalanthan inches are equivalent to Earth feet.

The third time I read this it sort of blew my mind. Good point.

RAT: Clans seem to be doing really well lately? Lots of long lived characters are staying long lived. Most of them seem to be in clans.

You smear sticky golden sap all over the arrow making a delicious yet deadly instrument.

Shoot rugged south

One down, eleven to go .

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 12, 2014, 01:46:53 PM
You smear sticky golden sap all over the arrow making a delicious yet deadly instrument.

say (peering southwards, with a smirk) A bittersweet fate, indeed.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Kismetic on August 12, 2014, 04:29:59 AM
Maybe Zalanthan inches are equivalent to Earth feet, and even dwarves are gigantic to Earthlings.  Who knows?

It says right in the help file:

QuoteShort distances are measured in inches (which bear a strong resemblance to the English inch in real life). An inch was considered to be the length of the Emperor's thumb, but was long since normalised to mean a single unit of distance.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Also the subject of measurement can't be mentioned without a public service announcement that a league is not a room. There is no such thing as a 3-league bow. There is no grid marking out the desert into squares of 1 league by 1 league. There just isn't. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on August 12, 2014, 04:23:16 PM
Also the subject of measurement can't be mentioned without a public service announcement that a league is not a room. There is no such thing as a 3-league bow. There is no grid marking out the desert into squares of 1 league by 1 league. There just isn't. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Tell that to Leaguewalker the dwarf, may she rest in peace.

It's just been buried over the years.

Preach it.

300 cords, now, that I could see... you gotta pick and choose when to apply believable distances to desert rooms, heh.

The surface of Zalanthas is loose elastic over a fluid-filled interior, like a waterbed. Outside of the cities, rooms change their sizes and their relations to each other based on pressure being applied to that room, or adjacent rooms, or whichever.

City and other settlement rooms remain in fixed distance to each other because the weight of the structures weighs down the "room," preventing them from moving.

When you encounter a room that's too full to drop anything, that's because you've reached the maximum weight that that room can support without rupturing the Waterworldbed.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 12, 2014, 05:40:20 PM
The surface of Zalanthas is loose elastic over a fluid-filled interior, like a waterbed. Outside of the cities, rooms change their sizes and their relations to each other based on pressure being applied to that room, or adjacent rooms, or whichever.

City and other settlement rooms remain in fixed distance to each other because the weight of the structures weighs down the "room," preventing them from moving.

When you encounter a room that's too full to drop anything, that's because you've reached the maximum weight that that room can support without rupturing the Waterworldbed.

I'm Rahnevyn and I endorse this explanation.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Ah, it's right there in the docs, but I think I had good intentions, i.e., don't get caught up in the reality-to-fantasy meta.  Speaking of which ...

Heheheh.  Well, you see, an ox can travel 100 rooms in ten minutes, so that's 100 leagues, or 533, 300 cords, or 126 miles per hour, a.k.a., the ground speed velocity of an unladen plains ox.

I wish that room sizes were normalized to be constant, and either affect moving speed, or have the number of rooms in the world changed to make things consistent. For instance, the fact that you can walk around Allanak in less time than it takes to get from the Templar's Gate to the Merchant's Quarter is annoying to me.

I also wish that instead of @ $ north, you say individualized, room specific exit messages. For instance, @ $ north into the street, or @ walks down the stairs, or @ $ up the mountainside.

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 12, 2014, 09:23:51 PM
I wish that room sizes were normalized to be constant, and either affect moving speed, or have the number of rooms in the world changed to make things consistent. For instance, the fact that you can walk around Allanak in less time than it takes to get from the Templar's Gate to the Merchant's Quarter is annoying to me.

I also wish that instead of @ $ north, you say individualized, room specific exit messages. For instance, @ $ north into the street, or @ walks down the stairs, or @ $ up the mountainside.

Along those same lines, I'd like to see cities -minorly- shrunken down (like they have done with Tuluk various times), but have the wilderness -greatly- expanded.  I don't mean adding new content, I mean making the existing content more spread out.  Add clone rooms, make it so that going -deep- into the wilderness is truly possible.  Then, keep sandstorms about the same size (I know this is hard), so that you can actually skirt around them without the whole zone-barrier.  I think people should be able to enter actual isolation in the wilderness.  As is, most of the deep wild is actually pretty close to a transit/hunting route.  With some exceptions.  Make deep wilderness raiding groups viable.  Make solitude achievable.  Make exile...crazy.  So on and so forth.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I wish the new codebase they were working on would get implemented.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 12, 2014, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 12, 2014, 09:23:51 PM

Along those same lines, I'd like to see cities -minorly- shrunken down (like they have done with Tuluk various times), but have the wilderness -greatly- expanded.  I don't mean adding new content, I mean making the existing content more spread out.  Add clone rooms, make it so that going -deep- into the wilderness is truly possible.  Then, keep sandstorms about the same size (I know this is hard), so that you can actually skirt around them without the whole zone-barrier.  I think people should be able to enter actual isolation in the wilderness.  As is, most of the deep wild is actually pretty close to a transit/hunting route.  With some exceptions.  Make deep wilderness raiding groups viable.  Make solitude achievable.  Make exile...crazy.  So on and so forth.

Would all that be achievable by just ramping up movement penalties in the desert?  Or would that just make it unpleasantly hard for players to get from Tuluk to Allanak?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Not really. It would make life easier for rangerarrows maybe.

I'm all for making the outside world seem bigger. Riding a mount from one city to the other without rest is a little lame, imo.

I don't think that you can really ride from one city to the next without rest any more, but it's close, and you can certainly make the trip in less than one IC day. Ideally, to make it seem realistic for two large civilizations to exist in the same land, that would be more of a two or three day trip, and Luir's would be your waypoint. For the sake of playability, making it a two day ride would mean a three RL hour play session. I think that's more than fair to both OOC considerations, and IC separation and distance concerns.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

August 13, 2014, 01:14:23 AM #23 Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:21:49 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 13, 2014, 01:10:57 AM
I don't think that you can really ride from one city to the next without rest any more, but it's close, and you can certainly make the trip in less than one IC day. Ideally, to make it seem realistic for two large civilizations to exist in the same land, that would be more of a two or three day trip, and Luir's would be your waypoint. For the sake of playability, making it a two day ride would mean a three RL hour play session. I think that's more than fair to both OOC considerations, and IC separation and distance concerns.

You can if you're using the most abundant mount in the games existence. As for taking 3RL hours to travel... That might be a bit much. That's WAY longer than it currently takes. I'd settle for even just 1 hour.

I honestly feel icky whenever I hint at how long it actually takes to travel from one city to the other... It's very surprising when you're new to figure out how small the world really is. Don't get me wrong, we're big in comparison to Muds in general due to room numbers, but it still just feels way short when traveling. I think adding rooms is a much better option than slowing movement or upping movement costs. But I know that would be a pain in the ass for staff.

I'd also note that this feeling isn't really static. Play a city-elf  in allanak/tulukl and Luirs could be on the moon for as far away as you feel it is.

On increasing time from point A to point B:

It's only a 1/2 hour trip if you're going alone, don't encounter anything, stable and unstable your mount in Luir's. As soon as you add more people to the trip, the trip time increases. So increasing the time it takes to get from A to B does nothing more than - make it take longer. The result is - less time players have available to do whatever they planned on doing when they get to the destination.

If that happened I think you'll see fewer PCs in clans that have rides out of their cities/outposts on a regular basis, and more independents who aren't burdened by the wait-time involved in a trip that already lasts an hour without having to wait for everyone to group up and prepare.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.