Skill General Crafting

Started by FantasyWriter, August 01, 2014, 06:50:14 PM

Anyone ever find it annoying that you have can't make simple things with any PC?

Tying a string around a tooth from the first raptor you killed as a trophy to wear around your neck.
Sharpening the end of a stick to make a crude spear or digging stick.
Cutting three holes in 'a large bag' to make a Doby-style tunic after loosing all your shit at cards or or being raided/passing out drunk (granted most "cloth" can be worn about the body).

Thoughts, comments, hellnoes, other things you think anyone should be able to make?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think this is an interesting idea. People should have the ability to make makeshift stuff. Of course its chance of lasting or working and the limitations of what they can make should be clearly defined. The examples you provided do make sense as long as the people have the right equipment to make the stuff. I like this idea.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I dig this but shoudn't be skill makeshift crafting?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

August 01, 2014, 07:07:05 PM #3 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:09:30 PM by FantasyWriter
Having given it a little more though, I'd like to see the skill advance very slowly (similar to combat skills) making it very difficult to use it for profit, and maybe set everything made with the skill a value of 1 coin.  THis would also reflect how slow you would advance in a "skill" that covers such a broad area of disciplines.

It seems realistic to me.  If you try enough times, anyone can whittle out a spear or momento without any hopes of every becoming a Da Vinci.

Another similar idea would be to make all "beginner" crafts craftable by anyone with a very low chance of success similar to the way climbing without the climb skill works.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Also, "crude" or a similar descriptor would be a required sdesc word.

a crudly-carved spear
a crude raptor-toothed charm
a sackcloth tunic of crude design

I'm picturing rinthers walking around with fist-sized lumps of stone to beat people's brains out with or an old hermit in need of a new walking stick or a hollowed out gith skull to cook his stew in.  role-play props galore.
Grebber - One who grebs.

As long as it's limited to your wisdom score.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

That.  Yes.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Reiloth on August 01, 2014, 07:54:40 PM
As long as it's limited to your wisdom score.

Wisdom doesn't limit any other skills in this game, I don't really see that being changed for new ones.

That said, how would new items be added to the database? Could ancient characters that have managed to get their "make useless crap' skill up to master submit mastercrafts?

How could/would an idiot figure out how to make a makeshift spear?

While I agree with the sentiment of the OP, this isn't a balanced game. People shouldn't be able to do everything.

If you want to make general crafts, maybe pick the general crafter sub guild?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Could ancient characters that have managed to get their "make useless crap' skill up to master submit mastercrafts?

They didn't allow rangers to have their direction sense skill boosted when the skill was added and rangervision done away with, so I doubt it.

Totally misunderstood your question.  facepalm
Grebber - One who grebs.

hey I didn't say that, you just made me feel crazy!

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 01, 2014, 08:08:49 PM
Could ancient characters that have managed to get their "make useless crap' skill up to master submit mastercrafts?

They didn't allow rangers to have their direction sense skill boosted when the skill was added and rangervision done away with, so I doubt it.

Totally misunderstood your question.  facepalm

I was more suggesting it as a source of steady streams of new crappy items that the imms wouldn't have to design themselves. I literally had no other motivation to suggest that people should be able to mastercraft junk.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 01, 2014, 08:20:02 PM
hey I didn't say that, you just made me feel crazy!

Reiloth: WTF? I have no idea how that happened.

Narf: I always like the idea of being able to have players submitting items. ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

Easy way to resolve the "no mastery allowed" thing:

Make everyone start out at novice, make all craftables that fall into this category craftable at novice, and cap everyone at novice. Problem solved.

And agreed on value - make all craftables that fall under this craft category valued at no more than 1 coin. And - don't make any of them secret components. NONE of them!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

August 01, 2014, 11:52:34 PM #14 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:57:49 PM by X-D
You know, there are general crafts right?

I mean, not many, 10-15 I can think of off hand...but they exist, they are crappy and anybody can make them.

My bet is, if you can make a case for more, and ask staff they would be willing to put a few more in.

At least 4 of them right now are based on the salvage command...good place to start if you do not know them or wish to get more added.

QuoteSalvage

(Trade)

This command allows your character to attempt to salvage an object, creating raw materials useful for a variety of tasks. The salvaged object is always destroyed, similar to how the junk command behaves, but the process is more time-consuming than merely destroying an object. The amount of salvaged material produced varies based on several factors. Objects that are too small or of poor quality may provide nothing useable.

As of now, not all objects can be salvaged. You will not lose your object when attempting to salvage an object of an unsupported material.

Syntax:
salvage (item)

Example(s):
>salvage cloak
You begin salvaging.
You tear apart a red sandcloth cloak and produce a useful piece.

Notes:
Due to their poor quality, salvaged materials can only be crafted into very crude items. However, they are also useful for repairing armor and other tasks.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job