Dwarves and foci...again

Started by Sphynx, July 17, 2014, 01:06:21 AM

I've spent a bit of time perusing the docs, and the forum, and I have a question that hasn't fully been answered so far. Dwarves are never without a focus, as per the docs. Are dwarves simply born with this focus involved, is it something that clicks at a certain age, is it something that takes a catalyst in their life to develop, how does one include a viable focus into a background if 'dwarves are never without a focus'. I would also submit a humble request that if the answer exists, a link to the post/doc be provided, and if nothing does, perhaps a modification to the docs? I'm not looking to roll one immediately, but it is one of my future RP goals to play a dwarf, thanks in advance for your answers.

I think an infant dwarf's focus is finding one, even though they don't know it. A focus is an innate part of a dwarf. An infant is bound to have very fleeting focuses that can change from minute to minute once they are accomplished.

Think of it like this:
I want to sit up like Pa does.
I want to stand like Pa does.
I want to walk like Pa does.
I want to Run like Pa does.
I want to run faster than Pa does.
I want to run faster than anyone in my building does.
I want to run faster than anyone in my city does.
I want to run faster than anyone in the world does.
I want to run faster than an inix does.

Focuses just happen, and they often (but certainly not always) evolve naturally from whatever the first focus is.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The way I imagine it, as soon as a dwarf has enough sense of self to remember things from day to day, they'll have a focus.  At first, they're probably really simple focuses, like 7DV suggests.  But then as they start going into childhood... you know how elementary school kids can get fixated on a single idea/superhero/whatever and play that they are that profession/character/whatever for months at a time?  When your dwarf kid has found a fixation that is very difficult or perhaps impossible to obtain, BAM, that's the focus that drives the rest of their life from that point on.  Either that or it'll be "mom I want a pony beetle" on high-strung repeat until mom either gets the kid the f'ing beetle to shut it up so she can work on her own focus, or kills it.  Then the kid gets a new focus.

However, I don't think there's any requirement that the new focus be related to the previous focus.  Maybe that's how most people roleplay it, but it's never gone down that way in my head.  The dwarven roleplay file simply says "more difficult than the last."  So the way I picture it, the new focus is something intimately related to whatever is happening to the dwarf at the moment that the previous focus is completed.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Oh, there are no hard rules about focuses at all - but it is suggested that the next focus can be birthed from the first, and I used that as my example to illustrate how a young dwarf might come about whatever his next focus is. But certainly, there's no need to follow a progression pattern anything resembling that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870