Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

Quote from: roobee on December 27, 2015, 10:45:00 AM
i've read in some posts that you can bribe NPCs. Do staff need to animate these for it to work, or will some NPCs allow it automatically?

Staff would need to animate for that.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 27, 2015, 11:16:42 AM
i've read in some posts that you can bribe NPCs. Do staff need to animate these for it to work, or will some NPCs allow it automatically?

Staff would need to animate for that.

You can also bribe an NPC and then give a character report to say when and why you bribed an NPC.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Staff would need to animate an NPC for you to bribe them, yes. The WISH ALL command (and HELP WISH) should shed more light on that.

Wish
(Staff Communication)
This command enables you to communicate with the game's staff members for an audience. Using the wish command is to be used for questions that cannot be otherwise answered in the game, be it through help files or in character questions. As all online staff members can hear wishes (if they so choose), use the command sparingly, and make wishes direct and to the point. Wishing to a staff member (i.e., one who is visible via the who command) will allow only that person to hear the wish.

Wishes can also be used to alert staff when you are about to do something that the virtual populace might notice and react to, such as attacking someone in a crowded tavern or walking into town with visible magic effects going. Please remember that staff can't be everywhere, all the time, but we will try and help interact. Also don't take the fact that staff haven't responded as permission to do whatever you are about to do. Be conscious of the virtual world and how it would react. If you don't get a response from a wish, please submit a Character Report so that staff can respond.

When situations arise that may result in your character killing another player character, staff ask that you take the time to wish up. A quick wish along the lines of 'About to kill Amos' is all that is needed. This gives staff the ability to observe the situation. We understand that there may be times where wishing up prior just isn't possible.

As mentioned above, wishes should be TO THE POINT. Do not wish things such as, 'Is anyone around?' or 'Is Kelvik on?' or 'Is my clan staff around?' or 'I have a bug.' If you have a bug, then use the bug command to say what it is, don't just wish that you have found a bug. If it requires a wish at all, wish up to tell us what you need, not that you need us.

If you are wishing up requesting something to do with where you are standing, please wait at least a couple of minutes before walking away. It's frustrating to staff members to have to chase your character along the streets.

Syntax:
wish all <message>
wish <staff member name> <message>
Example(s):
> wish nessalin I'd like to talk to this templar NPC, please, in order
to get a merchant's license.
(This is assuming that Nessalin is visible in 'who', and that there is an
NPC templar in the same location as your character, with whom you wish
your character to converse with, in character, about something.)
Notes:
The request tool is to be used for many issues that previously were handled with the wish command. Things such as description changes, reimbursements and having your character stored should be handled through this tool. (See help requests) There is now a reroll command, do not wish up asking for one. (See help reroll) Please do not wish on the behalf of players who have been no-wished. If no staff members are online, no one will hear the wish. Only Administrators and above can respond directly to wishes, so please do not assume no one is on and spam wish hoping to catch someone. Please be patient as well; wish once and then put the wish in your objective. If the wish involves interaction with an NPC, please stick by the NPC for at least a little while. If you have been no-wished, you can still communicate with the staff but you must use the Request Tool.
See Also:
bug, bulletin boards, idea, pc, npc, Requests, Reports, reroll, typo, who

December 27, 2015, 05:43:51 PM #253 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:49:36 PM by Terbama
Hey guys, its me again.  I have a million questions, so I should probably just grow this thread rather than fill up the board.

Ok, IC references to time.

When Im talking to somebody ig, sometimes they'll say something like,  'I'll be busy for the next 4 weeks'.  'it took me 12 years to get promoted'.  etc, are they refering to the IG time cycle?  or out of game?  I assume people are being IC and using the game time?

They'd be talking about the IG time cycle.

Time                                                            (Measurement)

Time is measured very differently on Zalanthas, having much more to do
with the motion of the sun and the collective movements of the sun and two
moons.
   Each day is divided into nine equal hours: before dawn, dawn, early
morning, late morning, high sun, early afternoon, late afternoon, dusk, and
late at night. Note that there are only two hours of sundown for every
seven hours of sunup. One hour of Zalanthan time is equivalent to 10
minutes of real time.
   Days are also grouped into weeks of eleven days: Ocandra, Terrin, Abid,
Cingel, Nekrete, Waleuk, Yochem, Huegel, Dzeda, Barani, and Detal. Not much
is known as to why eleven days were chosen to comprise a week, but the
current superstition amongst the common folk is that each day was named
after a member of the Old Council of Kings, but nobody is absolutely certain
of this.
   Days are further grouped into sets of two hundred thirty-one. This
interval marks the third time the sun and two moons converge in each phase
of the sun. Thus, in a 231-day phase (or month), the sun and moons will all
occupy the same place in the sky, which happens to occur at midnight,
exactly three times. The third time this happens, the sun is said to have
moved into another phase and a new month begins.
   There are three such phases or months in a Zalanthan year, which thus
consists of 693 days. The sun returns to its original arc in the sky at the
end of each year; the three primary arcs being the Arc of Descension, the
Low Arc, and the Arc of Ascension.
   Years are measured on a 77-year cycle called a King's Age. Each year in
the cycle has its own name.

A summary of the organization of Zalanthan time might be as follows:

Days of the Week (11)         Hours in the Day (9)
              Ocandra                       before dawn
              Terrin                        dawn
              Abid                          early morning
              Cingel                        late morning
              Nekrete                       high sun
              Waleuk                        early afternoon
              Yochem                        late afternoon
              Huegel                        dusk
              Dzeda                         late at night
              Barani
              Detal

Months in the Year (3)
              Descending Sun
              Low Sun
              Ascending Sun

There are 21 weeks (231 days) per month, three months (63 weeks or
693 days) per year, and 77 years per King's Age.

Syntax:
   time

Notes:
             Real Time -> Zalanthan Time
          10 RL mins      = 1 ZT hour
          1 RL day        = 16 ZT days
          1 RL week       = ~0.5 ZT month
          1 RL month      = ~2 ZT months
          1 RL year       = ~8.5 ZT years

Zalanthan Time -> Real Time
          1 ZT hour       = 10 RL mins
          1 ZT day        = 90 RL mins
          1 ZT week       = 16.5 RL hours
          1 ZT month      = ~2 RL weeks
          1 ZT year       = ~43 RL days

See also:
   Armageddon, Geography, Moon, Weather, Years

Quote from: Terbama on December 27, 2015, 05:43:51 PM
Hey guys, its me again.  I have a million questions, so I should probably just grow this thread rather than fill up the board.

Ok, IC references to time.

When Im talking to somebody ig, sometimes they'll say something like,  'I'll be busy for the next 4 weeks'.  'it took me 12 years to get promoted'.  etc, are they refering to the IG time cycle?  or out of game?  I assume people are being IC and using the game time?

Mostly they're talking about in game times. However when people say 1 week in-game it is usually code for 1 RL Day even though 1 RL day is longer than an IC week.

See you in 4 weeks will usually mean see you in 4 RL days.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

excellent, thank you for the prompt reply.  Yeah i was a little daunted by the prospect of waiting weeks for important things to happen for my character

Is it possible to craft something if I dont have the skill for it?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on December 29, 2015, 09:44:17 PM
Is it possible to craft something if I dont have the skill for it?

No, it's not. It's possible, if you pick certain guilds/subguilds, that you will gain a crafting skill or some crafting skills that you didn't start out with, after time.

But even if you have a skill, it's no guarantee that you'll be able to craft everything that comes with that skill. There are levels of proficiency and master-quality skills can only be made by master-quality crafters. If your guild/subguild comes with the capacity to become a master crafter in a skill, then yes you can attain that mastery and ultimately be able to make that item.

Basically if you want your character to have certain skills, you need to pair up appropriate guilds and subguilds.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

my first character is pretty gimped, halp!  I had no idea what I was doing.  My guild, subguild, and stats dont really compliment each other.  Should I just wander off into the desert?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on December 30, 2015, 12:53:45 AM
my first character is pretty gimped, halp!  I had no idea what I was doing.  My guild, subguild, and stats dont really compliment each other.  Should I just wander off into the desert?

Might be something the helpers can talk you through?
http://armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

December 30, 2015, 02:14:17 AM #261 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:19:27 AM by RogueGunslinger
my first character is pretty gimped, halp!  I had no idea what I was doing.  My guild, subguild, and stats dont really compliment each other.  Should I just wander off into the desert?

A lot of people will tell you to just play through with it, or whatever... They are dumb people.

Store your character with the Request tool on Armageddon.org. It shouldn't take more than a day. And you can come up with your stat allocation and guild choices in the meantime.

Suicide is frowned upon, becuase it's an OOC motivation... But your character suddenly getting stupid, deadly ideas can be made IC I suppose. God knows I've done it when I was way too impatient to even wait a couple days to get started again.

Edit: I don't suggest just wandering off into the desert. You'll probably not get far, and then have to wait to slowly dehydrate or starve to death becuase you didn't run into anything deadly... I've also had that happen.

Did a search but couldn't find a straight answer that wasn't old.

Does changing your ldesc while hidden break your successful hide?
You say, out of character:
     "Ouch, that's harsh."

Someone says, out of character:
     "Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Tainted Love on December 30, 2015, 02:16:30 AM
Did a search but couldn't find a straight answer that wasn't old.

Does changing your ldesc while hidden break your successful hide?

Oooo, I can answer this!

No, it doesn't, and in fact it's often a good idea to change your ldesc quite a bit when hiding, to let people know where you are (those that spot you, that is).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 30, 2015, 02:14:17 AM
my first character is pretty gimped, halp!  I had no idea what I was doing.  My guild, subguild, and stats dont really compliment each other.  Should I just wander off into the desert?

A lot of people will tell you to just play through with it, or whatever... They are dumb people.

Store your character with the Request tool on Armageddon.org. It shouldn't take more than a day. And you can come up with your stat allocation and guild choices in the meantime.

Suicide is frowned upon, becuase it's an OOC motivation... But your character suddenly getting stupid, deadly ideas can be made IC I suppose. God knows I've done it when I was way too impatient to even wait a couple days to get started again.

Edit: I don't suggest just wandering off into the desert. You'll probably not get far, and then have to wait to slowly dehydrate or starve to death becuase you didn't run into anything deadly... I've also had that happen.

Don't listen to him.....oh all right do, he may be right.  ;)
But I won't. My early characters probably had silly builds code wise, but I played those people as they were, and still had fun. The unfun was them dying because of my silliness in other aspects of the game.
Play through it and whatever!

Use the character you currently have to learn the ropes of the game itself. Take risks that you KNOW are risks. Talk to people you might not normally talk to.

A lot of the players that are still around, are more focused on the RP than the coded benefit of having you around. Especially since we all play secret magicker subguild rangers that are unkillable.

Even the halfgiants. Secret magickers. All of us.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

what does MCB mean?

what does RPT mean?

what other acronyms should I be aware of?
-Kim Stanley Robinson

MCB = Murder, Corruption, Betrayal (Armageddon's tagline)

RPT = Recommended Playing Time (Usually a time centered around some sort of special event in a certain area. Similarly, an HRPT (Highly Recommended Playing Time) is a rare event that typically has worldwide ramifications)

thanks Nergal!

client disconnecting.  So it seems like if I don't enter a command every like 5 minutes or so, my client will disconnect.  this can be frustrating when it's late at night and Im just sitting in the tavern by myself, etc.  Is there a way to increase the lagout time for MUSHclient?
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I used to have that problem, but over time it fixed itself. No idea what happened. However, you can set up a trigger to send a . or "stat" or something every 5-10 minutes or so to help combat that... Can't quite remember how to do that either. But it's straightforward.

Find the "timer" option in your client, and set a timer for every 4 or 5 minutes to send "Save.

WARNING: THIS WILL PREVENT THE AUTO DISCONNECT FROM GOING LINKDEAD IF YOU LEAVE YOUR PC FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD ON ACCIDENT!

Quote from: Saellyn on January 15, 2016, 08:01:42 PM
WARNING: THIS WILL PREVENT THE AUTO DISCONNECT FROM GOING LINKDEAD IF YOU LEAVE YOUR PC FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD ON ACCIDENT!
lol what auto disconnect? How long is the timer, do you know?
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

I dont know where to find that seting
-Kim Stanley Robinson

hey, one quick question

is stabbing using piercing skill too?

Yes, as I recall. Some weapons give an echo of stabbing but are coded piercing.

The best way to find out is to "assess -v" the item. It will tell you the basic skill. If there is no skill, that means the weapon uses a weapon skill you don't know.