App

Started by Skeeter, July 01, 2014, 05:12:22 AM

Hi I'm a new player and I submitted an app a bit over 24 hours ago, I was just wondering if it's possible I did something wrong?

The character is showing up on the list so does this mean the imms have read it/haven't accepted or just haven't read it?
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Having a good time reading through all the documentation in the mean time, looks great :)

Hope I can offer some good RP situations for the other players and fit in.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Welcome, especially if you are an offpeaker!  :D  I'm sure you will be able to fit in, and don't forget to use help chat if you get stuck. One piece of advice, use Quit rooms to quit before exiting the game. A lot of new players, including myself back in the day, don't.
Sorry I can't help with your problem, I forget between PC's many of the details of character apps.

That's alright, thank you for the welcome!

I actually work from home so my hours of playing are very wide-spread. Some nights I may be on all night - or all day.

I've played other RPIs so it shouldn't be too hard getting grips with ARM, though it does seem like the kind of game I want to play - harsh yet just.

Totally digging the whole RP > CODE thing to, had a lot of issues in other muds where people would out-right refuse to RP during conflict and just wanted to go to code every time :(
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

have you gotten in-game yet?

One hint, your character can't get approved by staff if you're currently logged in.

If you supplied an email for your account when you made it, you will get an email when your character is approved.

While waiting for a character to be approved (or rejected, in which case you'll have a chance to resubmit), you should be completely logged out of the mud. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the GDB, the website, and keep an eye on your email. Or, check in the mud by logging in quickly every three or so hours.

That's my advice. I'm not staff so maybe one of them can weigh in soon.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Hi Skeeter,

I don't normally check the app queue during my work day, but I peeked in and saw you were online. Unfortunately staff members cannot review your app while you're connected to the mud. If you log out, that should make the process go quicker.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

slight derail, but would it be cool if staff just force-disconnected someone who would be approved were it not for being logged in?

Quote from: Harmless on July 01, 2014, 11:26:13 AM
slight derail, but would it be cool if staff just force-disconnected someone who would be approved were it not for being logged in?
It would.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Haha, I'm a complete moron, I've been keeping my mud constantly online just to keep checking :P

Sorry guys, I'm offline now. Will just check my email from now on hehe.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

I will admit it's a bit interesting of a system to not allow for that kind of work-around, but it's still my fault for being overly anxious to get in and not notice any messages warning me :P

But yeah, I think cause the game's so dated - the way the player files are setup are to avoid tampering/bugs etc, so they've done it as a fail-safe to prevent any mishaps with PFILES, which is understandable but can still be sorted out - maybe someone should get in touch with some staff and discuss it at length.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

There is a warning when you submit your app.
Fredd-

That's what I mean, I was being a bit over eager and tunnel visioned on getting in game :P Didn't notice the notice, so to speak.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Patience, sandhopper. You'll be freed of your boots soon enough.  ;)

Already IG and having some cracking good RP.

I'M A HAPPY CAMPER!
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

W00t!  Dibs on his boots!!!
Fredd-

Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Quote from: Skeeter on July 01, 2014, 11:59:44 AM
Haha, I'm a complete moron, I've been keeping my mud constantly online just to keep checking :P

Sorry guys, I'm offline now. Will just check my email from now on hehe.

Better solution: open email, F5 F5 F5 F5 F5  ::)  For your next dude.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Just an update for any that are curious: things are going splendid and I've not had so much RP fun in years. I only hope my standards are good enough to eventually be considered for karma to make some pretty awesome concepts I have brewing in my mind - though I'm in no rush.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Being a good roleplayer and sticking around for a while is enough to get you your first couple Karma. Just make sure you're sending in character reports so they have an idea who you are and what you're doing. Otherwise you might slip through the cracks.

I would also suggest sending your first one after your PC is accepted to explain more in depth what are the goals and how you will do them.
Fredd-

My character already has so much going on.. Would the imms be okay with me covering a lot in a single report?
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

They would.  Some of us do submit long ones.  But keep in mind, it's weekly reports.
Fredd-

What I would suggest for highly detailed situations is to write biography entries and then summarize them for the report.

That way you can give staff a heads up on what's going on, and point them to a biography entry for more detail.

It can be tough to keep up with bios, but it's very worth it when you manage to do so!

Quote from: Delirium on July 03, 2014, 09:32:23 AM
What I would suggest for highly detailed situations is to write biography entries and then summarize them for the report.

That way you can give staff a heads up on what's going on, and point them to a biography entry for more detail.

It can be tough to keep up with bios, but it's very worth it when you manage to do so!

This is great advice for everyone.

I'll keep the bio thing in mind for my next week report, for sure.

Is it allowed to say which character you play IG or is it not allowed?

I know you can't discuss IC things, but is it okay to be like "I play bla" on forums?
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Quote from: Skeeter on July 04, 2014, 03:11:38 PM
I'll keep the bio thing in mind for my next week report, for sure.

Is it allowed to say which character you play IG or is it not allowed?

I know you can't discuss IC things, but is it okay to be like "I play bla" on forums?

On public GDB forums, you should not divulge who you play.

On private clan forums, you may say what character you are playing, as it's often necessary for coordinating playtimes with your clan mates. Some players choose to use separate GDB accounts for clan forums versus the rest of the discussion board.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on July 04, 2014, 03:20:50 PM

On private clan forums, you may say what character you are playing, as it's often necessary for coordinating playtimes with your clan mates. Some players choose to use separate GDB accounts for clan forums versus the rest of the discussion board.

Ah thanks for the heads up :)

I've sent in a report, do I need to do anything to let admins know about it or do they not need you to say anything?
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Quote from: Skeeter on July 04, 2014, 03:43:38 PM
Quote from: Rahnevyn on July 04, 2014, 03:20:50 PM

Ah thanks for the heads up :)

I've sent in a report, do I need to do anything to let admins know about it or do they not need you to say anything?

Nope, once you submit the request it goes into the queue and we'll see it. Typical response time for character reports is 3-5 days, but it varies.

That's cool, seems like a nice system so far. Really enjoying my time here :)

I just hope I entertain the admins and other players with my RP.

Do the IMMs give feedback on reports? And is it helpful or just a pat on the back? :P
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

They do if they have feedback.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on July 03, 2014, 09:05:25 AM
They would.  Some of us do submit long ones.  But keep in mind, it's weekly reports.

Only weekly if you're in a leadership position.  Things are more relaxed for characters with less/no authority, but reports are still encouraged.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on July 04, 2014, 11:12:04 PM
Quote from: Barsook on July 03, 2014, 09:05:25 AM

Only weekly if you're in a leadership position.  Things are more relaxed for characters with less/no authority, but reports are still encouraged.

Right, right.  I forgot.  But I was giving more of a heads up that it's not daily but weekly.  I should of stated that.
Fredd-

I got a really nice reply from an admin about my report :)

Refreshing to see such interest in the characters from staff, might be staying here a long while...

Hopefully I'll get karma eventually :P

What's the amount of playtime I should wait before asking about a karma consideration?
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Quote from: Skeeter on July 06, 2014, 03:57:20 PM

Refreshing to see such interest in the characters from staff, might be staying here a long while...

What's the amount of playtime I should wait before asking about a karma consideration?

I'd say after 6-10 characters or 4 irl months it's worth asking for feedback. Account Notes requests are a good way to open up the question of karma consideration.

Generally speaking I don't know shit, maybe someone else has a better recommendation.

Quote from: Skeeter on July 06, 2014, 03:57:20 PM

You receive a karma review each time you ask for account notes, which is once every 6 RL months.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Also check out HELP REVIEW, not sure how much it affects how much staff watch you, but I generally have it turned on.

Also, from the Karma helpfile on the main site,

Categories:

• Longevity
• Good communication
• Ability to roleplay
• Proven understanding of magick and its place in the game world
• Proven understanding of cultural and racial structures
• Contributes to the game
• Leadership

The points that staff tend to look for when awarding Karma, I'd note that longevity is not meant for characters, but the players themselves as well. I remember somewhere reading it was marked as a year, I think.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I have zero karma so I can't really speak to it, but I believe the system isn't set up for you to view it as something to strive towards. Karma naturally happens, and when it does, great. If it doesn't, that's okay too. Don't view it as achievement points or a way to level up. Just enjoy your time with your characters, do some good RP, and be an active and long-term member of the community. It seems like you're trying very hard to get karma as quickly as possible, which seems a little strange to me.

But maybe I'm just weird.

No, you are right.
Fredd-

There's also special applying for something of higher karma, and if you prove you have a good understanding of how to play it or learn from the experience, may wind up with the karma to play in the future. :) Generally speaking though, karma roles are often isolating and not easy to get into (and nearly any nonmagickal extended subguild can be tried with a special application).

If you are interested in higher-karma roles, get an understanding of them from a more normal perspective first, like understanding the elven mindset by playing a city elf before you try a desert elf, or studying the fear of magick of one of your characters in order to comprehend how you'd be treated as an elementalist. Really grokking the setting makes any role more fun, and reading into and exploring new perspectives helps immensely with playing a karma role or special application.

The most engaging and social roles, though, are the ones you start with.

You only can special app 3 points above of what you have.
Fredd-

July 24, 2014, 09:31:44 PM #40 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:46:56 PM by seidhr
EDIT by Seidhr:

Please do not mention IC events on the GDB, even tangentially.

Thanks.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!