How does a spec app work?

Started by greasygemo, May 19, 2014, 08:11:04 PM

This is probably a dumb question but I've not actually done one of these before.. 

.. What normally happens when you do a spec app?  ::)

When you send in a request for a spec app, supposing it's approved, do you then just end up going through the normal character creation process to fill in all you thingys? Like age, bio, etc etc... And the 'special' parts are.. filled in (?) somewhere?

Oh. Also, am I correct in my understanding that you may apply for things within 3 karma of your ..uh.. 'Natural Karma'?
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: greasygemo on May 19, 2014, 08:11:04 PM
This is probably a dumb question but I've not actually done one of these before.. 

.. What normally happens when you do a spec app?  ::)

When you send in a request for a spec app, supposing it's approved, do you then just end up going through the normal character creation process to fill in all you thingys? Like age, bio, etc etc... And the 'special' parts are.. filled in (?) somewhere?

Oh. Also, am I correct in my understanding that you may apply for things within 3 karma of your ..uh.. 'Natural Karma'?

Outline your character concept, what it adds to the game, and what makes it a special app (the special parts).  3 karma is correct.

Just go into the request thingie, under special app, it tells you what you need to fill up before sending it in.

If you're accepted, they will add the guild/race whatever to your account and you can create a character the usual way, and when your character is done, that option to create it will be gone.

So it's like applying for a normal character once your special app is approved, but with a one time only deal.

And yes, usually the range is 3 karma, but if you've never played a magicker before, they usually prefer if you start with the two karma option ones (ruk and viv).
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Unless its a spec app for an extended subguild then from what I understand it gets done when your character logs in before they point to their starting city. Unless that's been changed. So a staff member needed to online to do that.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Also good to note that Staff will consider applications outside the 3 Karma limit if they believe your app will add something special to the game or drive some major plots.

As a player who really enjoys his special apps (I can't remember a time I haven't had a special app in process at some point of the past 2 years) my experience of the process is :-

You place the app,
Staff will review the app and send a reply (approval or disapproval) usually within two weeks, occasionally three or four, depending on the volume of work they have at the time.
If disapproved, staff will usually give you a chance to review and  re-submit the app, unless it is grossly unplayable, or something you can manage without playing an app.

If all goes well, I don't think I've ever had to wait any longer than three weeks to play a special app except around the Christmas holidays.

Good luck!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Pretty sure as of late the 3 karma limit is very set in stone, but you would have to get the answer from staff on that. The better thing to assume is that staff will not let you app out of the 3 karma limit, period.