Tuluki Shrinkinator / Tavern Restructuring Discussion

Started by Nyr, May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM

Staff...

What the actual fuck.

Tuluk does not meet the grid properly. How am I supposed to map Tuluk if it doesn't follow a grid?!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Also the Sun King's Sanctuary is still the old one without the changes that you said that should be there.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on May 20, 2014, 04:07:27 PM
Also the Sun King's Sanctuary is still the old one without the changes that you said that should be there.

Emphasis mine:

Quote from: Nyr on May 09, 2014, 04:24:48 PMThe tavern construction and associated tavern changes are slated around the same time, subject to building completion and walkthroughs and tweaks, but it may be implemented a few days later.

The important thing was to get the Blue Vestric completed and get the remapping scripted and done, which we did.  The associated changes to the Sanctuary and the Tooth were expected to happen around the same time or lag behind a bit depending on issues with the remapping.  We've been working on the rest of the live changes throughout the day, and everything should be to what we expect by sometime tomorrow, I think.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

This should help until I can wrangle the helpfile to show this properly:

Freil's
Rest _______________________________________________
    |Nk|_|    _  ___   4|_____Ka | |    ~           |
     |___  |9| | _|_|5 6|_|Ku         Tribal Market |
      _|  _   _  ~      __|      | |_____________  _|____             
     |_   _|    |_|7|  |_        | |   Poets' Circle     |
     |___|   11 |_10_  |Sa|      | |            @     %  | |
       __|_|_____8___   __| |____| |_______________  ____| |____
      |  ___________    _______   _______________________:  ____
      | |_________|1|  |  _    | |                       | |__
      | |   ___        |______ | |                       |  __|
      | |  |WB           TzB_| | |                       | |
      | |__|    Red      |_    | |         Heart         | |____
      :  __     Sun       2|___| |        of the         |  ____|
      | |! |  Commons       _    |         Ivory         | |
      | |  |             |TB_|%| |                       | |
      | |  |______   ____|     | |                       | |    __
      | |_________| |A_|_______| |__________|=|__________| |___|_ |__
      |________   ___________   ___   ___   _____________   __   ____
Commoner     | |  3___|      | |   | |   |=|             | |  | |
Warrens______|%|  %___|___   | |  Arena  | |             | |  | |
      |  ______   ______  |  | |_________| |_            | |  | |
      | |  ____| |____  | |  | |      _|  _  |_  Nobles  | | Silver
      | | |  ___   _  | | |  | |     |K| |T| |N| Quarter | |  Road
      | | | |___|  %| |_| |  | |    _|_  | | __|_        | | 
      | |_|  _  12|_|  _  |__| |   |U__      ___W|       | |
    __|  _  | |  __   | |  __  |      _|     |_          | |
   | _  | | |_| |__%| | | |  | |    _|  _   _  |_        | |
   WA | | |_______   _| | |__| |   |L__| | | |__D|       | |
      | |_________| |___|  __  |_________|=|_____________| |
      |________   _______________________________________| |
               | :_|                                     |=:
     Vineyard  |_:

Legend:
   1 Sun King Sanctuary
   2 Blue Vestric
   3 Tembo's Tooth
   4 Nenyuki Bank
   5 Kadius Fine Wares
   6 Kuraci Shop
   7 Kadian Clothing
   8 Salarri Shop
   9 Kadius' Luminous Luxuries
   10 Arkaya's Woodwork
   11 Amphitheatre
   12 Communal Pavilion
   @ Lucky Ghaati Teahouse
   T Tenneshi Estate
   N Negean Estate
   W Winrothol Estate
   D Dasari Estate
   L Lyksae Estate
   U Uaptal Estate
   K Kassigarh Estate
   ! Isar's Tree
   TB Tenneshi Barracks
   WB Winrothol Barracks
   Nk Nenyuki Compound
   Ka Kadian Compound
   Ku Kuraci Compound
   Sa Salarri Compound
   TzB T'zai Byn Compound
   A The A'jinn Academy
   WA Warehouses
   % Apartment Building
   :/= Gate
   ~ Water Seller
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 04:19:42 PM

Emphasis mine:

Quote from: Nyr on May 09, 2014, 04:24:48 PMThe tavern construction and associated tavern changes are slated around the same time, subject to building completion and walkthroughs and tweaks, but it may be implemented a few days later.

The important thing was to get the Blue Vestric completed and get the remapping scripted and done, which we did.  The associated changes to the Sanctuary and the Tooth were expected to happen around the same time or lag behind a bit depending on issues with the remapping.  We've been working on the rest of the live changes throughout the day, and everything should be to what we expect by sometime tomorrow, I think.
Mapable grid plz?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on May 20, 2014, 04:29:11 PM
Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 04:19:42 PM

Emphasis mine:

Mapable grid plz?

no

You forgot to mark the Garden.
Fredd-

Quotemappable grid

That really goes against the whole thing we did here.  Surgical cutting of super long roads and stuff we don't need means that stuff won't line up in a spreadsheet unless you account for some rooms taking up a few rooms.

Quote from: Barsook on May 20, 2014, 04:34:17 PM
You forgot to mark the Garden.

Wasn't marked on the old map, either...should it be?

It should be since it's a major landmark of the city.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on May 20, 2014, 04:37:10 PM
It should be since it's a major landmark of the city.

I suppose compared to the Allanak map it could use more stuff on the legend.  Once we can get it on the helpfile I'll see about updating that with other things, including the gardens.

Thanks.
Fredd-

Artisans Area/dorm delinked, by the way (thanks for the reminder note :)). 

For anyone that's unaware, the Blue Vestric name hearkens back to a tavern that used to be around in Old Tuluk.  The bartender should be someone everyone knows, though.

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 04:49:36 PM
Artisans Area/dorm delinked, by the way (thanks for the reminder note :)). 

Not a problem.
Fredd-

Just curious of the "directions" command for new players has been updated to reflect the new layout as well?

(Seems like the sort of thing that might have slipped people's minds. I just thought of it.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

It hasn't been updated yet; it resides in a database and that requires a coder to update.  For the most part it is fine--it can map to rooms, the vast majority of which have not changed--but there is a small handful of exceptions, like the Blue Vestric itself (a new location), or the Dasari shopkeeper (now in a different room, so the old database file is invalid).

Tiernan will be looking at that tonight or tomorrow for a quick update.

Quote from: manonfire on May 20, 2014, 11:53:24 AM
Can we shrinkray Allanak now?

If this was a serious comment, what would you shrinkray? Unlike Tuluk was up until today, most of the most frequently traveled parts of Allanak don't involve walking down giant roads to nowhere. In the commoner's quarter, you can't really remove rooms easily off of Theyak's, Stonecarver's, or Miner's Road, since they mostly all have shops hanging off of them. Merchant's Road east of the Bazaar gets a little long, but it has to be so to match up with the Noble's Quarter. And if you're a noble or servant and complaining about the walk back and forth from your cushy estate... well, 1) take your cushy job with great pay and silks and suck it up, or 2) let Oleupata and I know and we'll gladly cut your PC's legs off to ease the pain.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on May 20, 2014, 05:13:39 PM

If this was a serious comment, what would you shrinkray? Unlike Tuluk was up until today, most of the most frequently traveled parts of Allanak don't involve walking down giant roads to nowhere. In the commoner's quarter, you can't really remove rooms easily off of Theyak's, Stonecarver's, or Miner's Road, since they mostly all have shops hanging off of them. Merchant's Road east of the Bazaar gets a little long, but it has to be so to match up with the Noble's Quarter. And if you're a noble or servant and complaining about the walk back and forth from your cushy estate... well, 1) take your cushy job with great pay and silks and suck it up, or 2) let Oleupata and I know and we'll gladly cut your PC's legs off to ease the pain.

I think it was a mild "Come give us some love too!" comment.  :D

It *is* a little annoying that you are forced to take the long way around now that the gate into the noble's quarter from south of the Dragon Temple is closed off.

It's a looooong and time consuming hike.

Unless this has been fixed .... in which case, ignore me.

Weren't there IC events recently about that, Delirium? Or am I just hallucinating tavern posts now?

It's fixed.  Allanak has been getting love.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
The rest of you, if you see a blingy, buff brunette-blonde pair hanging out together pretty soon at your local bar, just...it's nothing. Move along. (Do not hit on them.)

The west side of Allanak is fine. The east side is a monument to inefficiency.

Here's how you fix Allanak in three simple steps.

1) Rotate the entrance to the Noble's Quarters 90' clockwise so it's facing Arena Road. You'll cut down on a metric fuckton of travel time and still retain the relative inaccessibility of the Quarter, since it's away from the heavier population centers.

2) Delete that pointless stretch of Merchant's Road heading northward from the Merchant's Gate, and move the gate so that if you're traveling east on Merchant's Road, you'll dead-end at the gate.

3) Get rid of the offshoot that houses the GMH estates and attach those rooms to Merchant's Road as northern T-junctions.

I made a picture to illustrate!

Quote from: manonfire on May 20, 2014, 06:09:14 PM
2) Delete that pointless stretch of Merchant's Road heading northward from the Merchant's Gate, and move the gate so that if you're traveling east on Merchant's Road, you'll dead-end at the gate.

3) Get rid of the offshoot that houses the GMH estates and attach those rooms to Merchant's Road as northern T-junctions.

+1
Fredd-

Quote from: manonfire on May 20, 2014, 06:09:14 PM
Here's how you fix Allanak in three simple steps.

+1. This would be great.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Where would you propose putting the salt yards and Merchant's Way apartment building? You'd also lose the positioning of the old Borsail Estate which is kind of significant given its Serious Find Out IC associations. So I'm not terribly sold on cutting the Noble Quarter off from the Templar Quarter by this huge-ass Arena.

I think there's room to work on Merchant's Way east of the Bazaar.