Tuluki Shrinkinator / Tavern Restructuring Discussion

Started by Nyr, May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM

Discussion about this post goes here.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Overall, I think this change is a huge step in the right direction.  Tuluk has always seemed like it is filled with vast swathes of empty space, and it definitely has too many taverns.  I have always loved Tuluk, but the walking time has always bugged me.

A couple of questions:

Is the Dasari herbalist going to be moved within the new city limits?  I sincerely hope so.  That shop is extremely useful (cures, perfumes), and it always bugged me that it was out in the middle of nowheresville.  It also seriously dampened my out of town characters when it was put behind tattoo checkers, because it limited access to perfume items.

I notice that in the list of taverns, the tea house is missing.  I hope that is staying?  I suppose it could be missing because it isn't really a tavern, but it is certainly a meeting place that has a flavor not met by the current taverns listed.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on May 09, 2014, 04:33:15 PM
Is the Dasari herbalist going to be moved within the new city limits?  I sincerely hope so.  That shop is extremely useful (cures, perfumes), and it always bugged me that it was out in the middle of nowheresville.  It also seriously dampened my out of town characters when it was put behind tattoo checkers, because it limited access to perfume items.

That's a good change to make that will likely occur.

I notice that in the list of taverns, the tea house is missing.  I hope that is staying?  I suppose it could be missing because it isn't really a tavern, but it is certainly a meeting place that has a flavor not met by the current taverns listed.

After long deliberation, the Lucky Ghaati has been zoned a tea house and not a tavern, to the dismay of the corporate interests hoping to hone in on that territory.

Thanks for the clarification!  It doesn't quite answer my question (which was maybe not that clear)  Will the Ghaati be in the new Tuluk, or not?

Quote from: valeria on May 09, 2014, 04:38:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification!  It doesn't quite answer my question (which was maybe not that clear)  Will the Ghaati be in the new Tuluk, or not?

Oh, sorry.  Tea house will be in the remapped area.  And quite a bit closer.

I like it.

The Tooth always seemed a bit too "high class" in my opinion.

I'm glad that is getting knocked down and Tuluk will actually have a "rough" tavern for once.

I would prefer to see The Sanctuary the domain of only Nobles, Templars, and their guests. Meaning you can't get in unless you are a noble or a Templar or following one.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on May 09, 2014, 04:44:19 PM
... I would prefer to see The Sanctuary the domain of only Nobles, Templars, and their guests. Meaning you can't get in unless you are a noble or a Templar or following one.

I would disagree for two reasons.  First, there is an area like that in Allanak.  It is pretty much dead, and therefore isn't fun for even nobles to visit.  Unless they're inviting another noble in, I suppose.  Since the purpose of the consolidation is throwing people together more, this change would seem to go against that purpose.  Second, segregated taverns feels more Allanaki than Tuluki.  It is more common in Tuluk to see Chosen kicking back with the commoners (which does not necessarily mean acting like the commoners, or being friends with the commoners).  While Chosen clearly have better blood, they don't feel the need to rub the commons' noses in it as much as they might in Allanak.  Of course, this is all just my opinion based on my perceptions of playing in Tuluk and reading the docs.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 09, 2014, 04:47:23 PM
Firestorm?

There will be a mid-tier tavern that fits the niche that Firestorm fits, but not where Firestorm actually is.  Details will be forthcoming in-game.

This is both shocking, and awesome.

Alright, Nyr. Maybe the North really is worth playing in one day. I'm liking a lot of the new stuff you gab about recently. The reduction of travel time is such a good thing for getting players closer to each other, and making the area seem more like a city and less like a collection of villages in close proximity to each other.

Good job, staff, on this one. Good job.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Alas, poor Kiiren;  I knew him, Horatio.  *cough*  Nice changes, the walk times to the far side of Tuluk were always annoying.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hate that you're tossing away the pub and replacing it. There are reasons  that historically validate it's existence. I remember with my second pc, a bynner, being introduced to Flame. I think if you weigh one merchant house's contribution to to the city vs the others they have more right to a tavern.  I could cry, seriously.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The rest very nice. New pub in commons - complete travesty.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Where do you people live? I want to come to your homes and try persuasion and failing that violence.

Very interesting changes, and I like the shrinking part of it. I will miss the non-virtual Old Quarter if only because its direct historical importance. Standing on the Dragon's Pillar looking out across the Crater and the ruins... Knowing OOCly that so much has happened there since the first incarnation of the city is very cool.

Hmmm. I think Barz has a point. You could always say that the Firestorm moved to the new location. It is a staple of Tuluk, though, and would fit right into that niche the new place would fill. I'm gonna hop in behind Barz on that.

Really hope Firestorm is kept, because that place has history behind it and is it the typical bar my characters would play out of.

Otherwise everything is cool.  I  like the sound of it, just sad about Firestorm.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

I'd probably even keep the old Quarter, and just lock it behind a gate so that it can be used in the future. As someone said, it has historical value.

This is kind of scary, having known and loved Tuluk as it is, extra rooms and all, but I can see the benefits to changing the layout around and I'm hopeful that problems will be fixed and everything will turn out nicely in the end.

May 09, 2014, 05:27:51 PM #23 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:30:42 PM by Desertman
Quote from: valeria on May 09, 2014, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: Desertman on May 09, 2014, 04:44:19 PM
... I would prefer to see The Sanctuary the domain of only Nobles, Templars, and their guests. Meaning you can't get in unless you are a noble or a Templar or following one.

I would disagree for two reasons.  First, there is an area like that in Allanak.  It is pretty much dead, and therefore isn't fun for even nobles to visit.  Unless they're inviting another noble in, I suppose.  Since the purpose of the consolidation is throwing people together more, this change would seem to go against that purpose.  Second, segregated taverns feels more Allanaki than Tuluki.  It is more common in Tuluk to see Chosen kicking back with the commoners (which does not necessarily mean acting like the commoners, or being friends with the commoners).  While Chosen clearly have better blood, they don't feel the need to rub the commons' noses in it as much as they might in Allanak.  Of course, this is all just my opinion based on my perceptions of playing in Tuluk and reading the docs.

I don't disagree with your points, but, I think having the Sanctuary be the domain of only the truly rich and prestigious would be ideal for the followings reason:

The Sanctuary is written up as an extremely high class and expensive tavern where only the sippiest of the tea sippers would go. Now, the problem is I have frequently seen it become the default tavern of Tuluk.

The place where almost everyone goes and hangs out, because people like interaction, and you can't blame them.

One of the biggest complaints you hear about Tuluk is it is "easy mode" and "soft". Having a tavern that is written as only for the sippiest of the most prissy tea sippers as the default primary gathering place of the city does nothing good for that misconception, and unfortunately lends a small amount of credence to it.

I would rather see the middle and low-class taverns become the default gathering places of Tuluk.

Besides, I think Tuluk is being revamped in general to be a bit more "harsh", I don't mind the concept of them being a little less, "We are a big happy family.", and a little more, "Get out of fancy tavern with your common trash filth."
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

May 09, 2014, 05:29:34 PM #24 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:32:09 PM by Thunkkin
Quote from: Barzalene on May 09, 2014, 05:17:24 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hate that you're tossing away the pub and replacing it. There are reasons  that historically validate it's existence. I remember with my second pc, a bynner, being introduced to Flame. I think if you weigh one merchant house's contribution to to the city vs the others they have more right to a tavern.  I could cry, seriously.

I'll always fondly remember Taur barfing to death in front of me in the private attic of the Firestorm. Many good times in that tavern. And yes - lots of work by one particular merchant house and cooperation with one particular noble house (at least when I was around up there).

Question: Is this something that one particular clan can react to ICly at all? I can imagine the shit hitting the silky fan over the loss of a tavern, particularly if another merchant clan will retain their association with their tavern. But it's been four years. Perhaps I'm mis-remembering the details of the degree that that tavern is associated with a clan?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?