New rooms / new regions

Started by theebie, April 30, 2014, 06:13:47 AM

Do we need new rooms / regions?

Yes, it'd make things fresh and interesting again.
50 (83.3%)
No, the world is big enough as it is.
10 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

A camp would be just a codedly vulnerable, no?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Any old merchant can't just abscond with a camp, so there's that.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 05, 2014, 08:23:22 AM
A camp would be just a codedly vulnerable, no?

It's the difference between tents and an RV.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Gotcha.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'm not so sure about entire new regions, but expansion would be good.  In my experience, it is a constant crawl of expansion...building for armageddon actually requires more than just building rooms from what I understand, because it fundamentally changes -travel- and -time-.

I would, however, enjoy seeing the wilderness getting much larger, and seeing resources both more spread out (further away from cities and each other) and condensed (this thing is found here and nowhere else).  This is somewhat in the game.

Really, the push is for 'grebbing' to remain lucrative, but at greater risk.  Promote raiding as a viable alternative again...if you have to travel sunback-like distances to get to things other than more common stones/salts/what have you, it exposes you, but with greater risk comes greater reward.  Those resources become more rare, and PC crafters, in particular, will snatch up those resources.

Granted...this assumes those resources can actually be crafted to make a living, so it may not be viable.  I just like the idea of more wilderness-based pc's, encounters in the desert being scary once again, and for those skilled in desert survival to be truly valuable as guides and raiders alike.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 01, 2014, 05:22:57 PM
Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 01, 2014, 11:59:19 AM
What I think needs to happen is existing areas need to be reviewed and cleaned up.  There is some really old crap around that is for old plots, some of it makes no sense to even be there.

Great idea.
Czar of City Elves.

Just some things  I'd like to see in the Tuluk area.

Undertuluk, or the Warrens made bigger and nastier. I'd prefer Undertuluk back (though I wasn't playing when UT was still in game, so I'm guessing as to how it was from stories etc), but Warrens would be more similar to Rinth, and it's nice to have a slight difference with UT, but I think there needs to be a 'unlawful' area for more rowdy behaviour. No clans even, just PC gangs or such to rule if they choose too. It shouldn't interfere with any Shadow Artist system too much? Maybe the Legion could send patrols every now and then... definitely spice up their action.

More Camps around the Gol or such. Wether they are tribal, or actual Legion camps themselves. They only need to be small, easy to build then. If 'raiders' or Kryl or whoever build up a force to attack something, there's only a few options, which forces larger conflicts to be feasible, which requires more staff work, and makes it more difficult than it would be for small defence plots or rescues etc for Legion/Levies/Whoever.

An entrance found to a new valley behind unclimable mountains never before seen. Possibilities are endless in how it's discovered/found. Could lead to a battle-front, against an NPC new army/force? Supply runs, increase in demand for food and supplies. Over the years I've found battles to be easier when it's PVE. This doesn't necessarily have to be Tuluk area... maybe in a more neutral area that either side can get access too. Maybe it even unites both states against the new force?

Let's rock the boat! :D
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: Evilone on May 07, 2014, 08:26:18 AM
Maybe it even unites both states against the new force?

absolutely disgusting
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Considering one state subjugated the other at one point, and then threw a volcano at them... I -REALLY- doubt Tuluk would be at ALL for allying with Allanak over anything.

> subdue volcano

> release volcano north

I kind of wonder why nobody ever uses wagons as a solution to my problem. They would be a perfect solution to clan outings.

If it wasn't for the fact that they can't traverse a lot of terrain and are liable to get capsized.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Like why the fuck arn't we rolling over the Soh Lanah Kah in a war argosy right fucking now?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on May 08, 2014, 01:37:56 AM
I kind of wonder why nobody ever uses wagons as a solution to my problem. They would be a perfect solution to clan outings.

If it wasn't for the fact that they can't traverse a lot of terrain and are liable to get capsized.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Like why the fuck arn't we rolling over the Soh Lanah Kah in a war argosy right fucking now?

Because Chosen Consort Leisera (I forget her real name, I think she's the one).

-James Brown

Quote from: Jingo on May 08, 2014, 01:37:56 AM

emote plays a noble.
emote sends his minions to find various resources.
emote uses his stipend to buy more resources.
emote conducts research.
emote creates design and documents it.
emote submits idea.
Someone sends:
 "Denied."
emote has gone back in time two or three years to convey this message.

War machines have been in the realm of certain groups for awhile, but it unfortunately does not fit in time with various things at various times.  Granted, there are War Argosies already in game, but they aren't real -war- argosies.  They just have a fancy name.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

One day a nearby volcano explodes and destroys the city formerly known as Tuluk...   meanwhile sailors spread stories of a mysterious settlement discovered while sailing the silt.

-James Brown

May 08, 2014, 03:22:11 PM #64 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:27:27 PM by Eyeball
So, no building of wagons. That's fine, but why not carts. One room, open, single sunback drawn, easily stolen, limited carrying capacity carts.

This thread is rife with postulation that is pretty funny. I imagine Staff is probably working on shit as we speak that lines up with what's being said in this thread...

In the 12+ years i've been here, i've seen a ton of building and changes to the world. When I see a problem with a misleading description or a bug, I use the bug or typo command, and usually it is fixed within a week. That's more than can be said of pretty much any game out there. There were literally so many changes to Tuluk recently that (during a period of inactivity on my PC) I had to double-take several times to figure out what was going on.

Similar to the 'why don't leaders do more' threads that crop up, I find this kind of thread silly. In a game with 20k+ rooms, and probably more being added every week or month or whatever, we still 'want more rooms, expansion for the sake of expansion, I may never see the rooms, but Staff should build them'.

Play the game! I bet there are entire areas you haven't discovered yet. I surprise myself often on new PCs when I find an area of the game I had no idea about previously. For example, I am probably going to play something in the Tablelands next, because I have no idea about that area of the game in the same way I do with the Red Desert or Vrun Driath.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

May 12, 2014, 12:53:05 AM #66 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:54:56 AM by X-D
QuotePlay the game! I bet there are entire areas you haven't discovered yet

Heh, I rather doubt that.

Anyway, chiming in, for about the first ten years the game was open, it increased in size...drastically...from around 5k rooms to more then 20k.

In the last 14-15 years the actual world size has remained rather static...have areas changed, sure, but changing an existing area does not increase the size of the world.

Now me, I would love if several virtual areas that you can see in room descriptions in some areas became real.

I would love just as much if certain other areas were given some real love and fleshed out more...most of those places need about another 1,000 rooms added...they seem rather unfinished.

(edit) Sorry I cannot say more here, but many of these places are likely unknown to many of you...and I will not be the one to spoil that bit of fun.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Well, there's only one of you, X-D. I imagine 99.9% of the rest of the population hasn't seen 100% of the game world.

"Let's just add 1000 rooms to one area of the game". What? That's a silly amount of work, and what's the payoff exactly? So seasoned vets get their willies for a few days before they map out the next region to put into an excel sheet?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

You seem to think 1k rooms is a lot.

It is not really. There are several areas where 1k rooms could be added and though you might notice the change, it really would not make much of a dent in those areas. Silly amount of work...Meh, not really, I could do that in 2 weeks working only 2 hours a day in any old diku. True, it is unlikely I would, because I am lazy, more likely I would work 1-2 hours, take my time and do 5-10 rooms a stint.

But that is all beside the point. The number does not matter, 100 rooms to this area, 30 to that, 300 to the other, flesh them out, or at least make them seem finished.

Adding totally new areas, now yes, that can be a reasonable amount of work, because you can easily get to several thousand rooms to finish a single "zone".

As to payoff...shrug, maybe exactly what you say, though some of us don't map. Or maybe a labor of love to have areas finished that right now only exist in room descriptions of things you can see far away. More places for outlaws to hide, more places to hunt outlaws, more things for the Byn, salarr or insert name of clan here to do.. The payoff is the world...with your way of thinking, hell, the entire game could be in one room and we could call it a mush...after all, what is the payoff to have anything coded, we could just emote everything.

But don't worry Reiloth, with the rate places have been closed, removed or shrunk down...I doubt you have anything to worry about in this matter.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on May 12, 2014, 07:06:23 AM
You seem to think 1k rooms is a lot.

It is not really.

lol
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

How is 1000 rooms not a lot, X-D?

I'd almost challenge Staff to let you build 1000 rooms just to see how long it took you.

I also don't have anything to worry about on this matter, because I think the game world is expanding at a natural rate that I enjoy. The new Labyrinth rooms for instance, and the volcano caldera region. Seems to come in time, with patience, slowly, sure, but not overnight. Some things come, some things go.

I think there are some players that enjoy what they have with ArmageddonMUD (through the fluctuations and additions and subtractions), and there are other players who expect more, either from Staff or other Players or the game world. I don't think it's wrong to expect more, but I think you should also prepare yourself for constant disappointment. The game is pretty static, and the thing anyone can easiest change is attitude and expectations. If the latter group could make their own fun, and not 'need 1000 more rooms here and there', or 'leaders to do more' or 'staff to do this' or 'players to stop doing this', they might have a bit more fun playing the game.

~Jack Vance~

May 12, 2014, 11:13:44 PM #71 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:16:20 PM by X-D
You would likely be amazed.

But, I would only think about it if it was dedicated builder only. I understand that staff has other things to do, sure, 1k rooms is a lot if you have to run clans, respond to request tool moderate the board, run rpts etc etc etc. I am not putting down staff one bit, they do get a lot done with everything on the plate.

And I think we do actually agree on one point...not sure if we are arguing that or not. But I do prefer to see areas fleshed out/finished. New Labby rooms yup, badass...and in fact, that is the sort of thing I would start on. I think many areas need that and to be more 3d. I could happily spend a year or two doing such things, starting from the play centers and working out.

As to the make own fun yadda yadda...shrug, we do, but everybody can wish.

One thing I think rather odd about arm is that it is the only mud I know of without a dedicated building team. Now sure, back when arm was run off private servers with finite resources, I could understand the limits on building, be it rooms, mobs, objects. But that is no longer the case.

BTW, I am lazy, 1k rooms would likely take me about two months...sure, I could do it faster...but meh, now days I take my time and make sure everything is perfect...that and believe it or not, I actually have a life.
Lizzie:

Heh, I've been saying for a while now that I'd love to be a builder - but only a builder. In fact I probably said it in this thread.

I'd want to see them focused on fixing all the quirks with what we've got now, though (maps, npcs, items) rather than expanding new stuff right away.

May 12, 2014, 11:57:24 PM #73 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:59:06 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: Reiloth on May 12, 2014, 10:47:44 PM
How is 1000 rooms not a lot, X-D?

I'd almost challenge Staff to let you build 1000 rooms just to see how long it took you.

Considering how so many rooms in the outdoors use the same description when they're part of the same area, a lot less than you seem to think.

Simple enough to write a small script and execute it locally to produce the necessary commands, then cut and paste that into the client session too.

I question how 1000 more rooms with the same background description equals 'cool, well thought out expansion of areas'. Sure, it's a bunch of rooms. It's almost the same thing on the scale of 'one room being a MUSH' that X-D mentioned. What purpose does a 1000 cookie cutter rooms serve, without the things that bring those rooms to life? (NPCs, NPC's on a brain so they aren't dumbies, settlements, objects of interest, things that break up the landscape, etc.)

I agree with X-D that 3D fleshing out of areas is cool. I don't think plopping in new areas to the game of 'undiscovered landscapes' really does much to enhance the atmosphere (without a bunch of other shit added to that).

~Jack Vance~