New rooms / new regions

Started by theebie, April 30, 2014, 06:13:47 AM

Do we need new rooms / regions?

Yes, it'd make things fresh and interesting again.
50 (83.3%)
No, the world is big enough as it is.
10 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

I've played the game since many years, and know most of the regions / animals by now. There's few to no possibility to explore something fresh and new.

I personally would like the world to consistently grow. Maybe it'd be possible to take some parts of the arm2 world into the game ? now that arm2 isn't coming ?
Or how about players beeing allowed to write new rooms, and how they're connected, and staff places them into the world where it may fit ?

And/or how about players writing new animals that then can be placed somewhere, either in the existant or new regions ?

regards,
theebie

I love new rooms and locations.

We've had a bunch of new ones added in the recent past. Both revamps of old locations, and the addition of some new ones.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I always love these ideas of expansion. So yeah.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I guess we'll just ignore the building we did last year...?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

No. I'm just voicing support for new regions and whatnot - not suggesting that you're not already doing that or that you have not already done that previously. Obviously you are and have. I think the OP was just suggesting consistant growth ... wait, no, I see what you saw, Nyr.

That said, I still love the addition of new material, Nyr, and expansion. Theebie, there actually are a couple of new locales in game, that while not exactly expanding the world, have created new areas within the framework of the Known.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I did see some changes in the world itself, but I haven't noticed new areas that haven't been there in the one form or the other before. (Though that of course doesn't mean that there are none, I might have just not found them).

I thought though about areas the size of the grey forest, or the eastern plains. There should be thousands of rooms from arm2 for example ?

Yes, there are thousands of rooms from Armageddon Reborn.  However, there's not as much that is easily usable from Armageddon Reborn.  A large part of it were settlements that were very fleshed out but do not fit into this game.  A large part of it is regional stuff that overlays what we already have.  Like scrublands that are south of the Grey Forest.  Or Tablelands.  Or the Grey Forest itself.

We put in or altered about five hundred rooms last year.  I think we did okay.  We'll continue to build as needed.  We've already said we'll use what we can when we have time and effort devoted to those kinds of expansions.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I love exploring as much as the next person that's the reason a majority of my players are hunter types. There are still many places I haven't seen and might never see. I don't think its possible for the OP to have seen EVERYTHING. I'm also wary to say sure lets get new places. It will only cause the population to become more and more sporadic (something the staff is trying to discourage based on the making of two taverns in Tuluk virtual).

When you walk through Tuluk at 10pm Server Time and run into maybe one or two PCs in the whole city it gets to be quite concerning that people are requesting new places to be developed. I think we need a bigger player base to encourage social interaction before new rooms get built. And as mentioned new rooms were opened and built during the last HRPT.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I'm a big fan of whole new areas.  Exploring far off lands and discovering the hidden mysteries, dangers, treasures to be found there.  Areas like the silt sea and the chasm north of Gol-Krathu are prime examples of areas that could be expanded.  Building is always a huge project.  When new zones are added they add value simply because they'll continue to be there long after they've been added.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

New rooms/areas are always sweet.. The ones added recently to the labyrinth are amazing.

April 30, 2014, 01:50:28 PM #10 Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:53:27 PM by manonfire
I think OP is talking about expanding the borders of the gameworld, not editing room descriptions or adding to current areas.

Examples: the area north of the Grey Forest, east of the Red Desert, and west of the Mal Krian canyons. All are perfect places to expand the gameworld borders. Hell, the area east of the Salt Flats is a prime candidate for overhauling. That entire area is kinda wasted.

But, you know, red tape.

Quote from: manonfire on April 30, 2014, 01:50:28 PM
I think OP is talking about expanding the borders of the gameworld, not editing room descriptions or adding to current areas.

Examples: the area north of the Grey Forest, east of the Red Desert, and west of the Mal Krian canyons. All are perfect places to expand the gameworld borders.

But, you know, red tape.

Not sure how many people even get out to the edges of the known in the first place. I'd say maybe 5-10% of the playerbase lives long enough to be able to deal with the shit out there.

But definitely more stuff out there isn't a bad thing. The more the merrier.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 30, 2014, 01:52:42 PM
Quote from: manonfire on April 30, 2014, 01:50:28 PM

Examples: the area north of the Grey Forest, east of the Red Desert, and west of the Mal Krian canyons. All are perfect places to expand the gameworld borders.

But, you know, red tape.

Not sure how many people even get out to the edges of the known in the first place. I'd say maybe 5-10% of the playerbase lives long enough to be able to deal with the shit out there.

I think you answered your own question.

April 30, 2014, 01:57:26 PM #13 Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:05:23 PM by manonfire
Something I've always wanted to see is a mirror of the 'In the Air' rooms, but underground. The same sort of 5:1 ground to air room ratio that connects the top part of the gameworld would also connect the underground.

It'd be accessibly by <redacted> via <redacted>. Why should Whirans have all the fun?

Don't we have a sewer that conceivable runs a pretty long distance? Oh, wait, that's not magical... is it?

And that place is fucking dangerous too isn't it?

I like the idea of expanding the game, but it -is- pretty big as it is. I do appreciate the mass overhaul, although I haven't seen the Rinth yet to know -what- exactly was added, I imagine it was pretty cool. Wasn't it something ike 50-100 new rooms in just that one area?

Quote from: Saellyn on April 30, 2014, 02:03:55 PM
Don't we have a sewer that conceivable runs a pretty long distance? Oh, wait, that's not magical... is it?

And that place is fucking dangerous too isn't it?

I like the idea of expanding the game, but it -is- pretty big as it is. I do appreciate the mass overhaul, although I haven't seen the Rinth yet to know -what- exactly was added, I imagine it was pretty cool. Wasn't it something ike 50-100 new rooms in just that one area?

Only about 25 new rooms, about 15 new NPC's. But it's a major facelift with some neat... things that should be found out in-game.

People are talking about a bunch of places in this thread that aren't really documented and might not be common knowledge.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 30, 2014, 05:14:33 PM
People are talking about a bunch of places in this thread that aren't really documented and might not be common knowledge.

Hey at least no one's brought up that Smurf Village east of the yellow brick road. They'd have to flood that bitch if anyone found out about it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

In 15+ years I haven't seen the majority of the game world. Well, maybe a slight majority, but I know there are tons and tons of rooms I have never seen.

I don't play non-mundane classes though, so my ability to "explore" is limited based on mundane skills and the needs/wants/desires of mundane roles.

I am pro-expansion, because who isn't pro-expansion?

That is like asking if you want cake with your ice cream. Have you seen how zaftig I am? If course I want cake with my ice cream.  ;)

Of course I want more rooms and places to potentially explore one day, even if I never actually explore them.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

The game world is huge and awesome, but I'm not ashamed to say I'd always like more of a good thing.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Try exploring characters get to know people in your home town. That in itself is a great exploration.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on April 30, 2014, 07:23:04 PM
Try exploring characters get to know people in your home town. That in itself is a great exploration.

And then get a noble/merchant house to sponsor you and your new friends on an expedition into the unknown world.  This would be a great character idea.

-James Brown

I don't think the game needs to get any bigger, especially no new cities and such.  There have already been some new building that has gone out. What I think needs to happen is existing areas need to be reviewed and cleaned up.  There is some really old crap around that is for old plots, some of it makes no sense to even be there.  Quit/Safe rooms should get mixed up, added, changed.  Mobs should get some changes in other areas, old areas that haven't seen attention or really are hard to find (I can think of a few), should be renewed and made a bit easier to find so those that enjoyed the challenge of exploring might find them.  Some areas that have near instant dead traps without much of any warning, I can think of one right now that is a common death, need to be fixed.

Fix and refresh the world we have, don't add on.  I could think of several places that could really use some love, but I can't mention them here sadly.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 01, 2014, 11:59:19 AM
What I think needs to happen is existing areas need to be reviewed and cleaned up.  There is some really old crap around that is for old plots, some of it makes no sense to even be there.

Great idea.

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 01, 2014, 05:22:57 PM
Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 01, 2014, 11:59:19 AM
What I think needs to happen is existing areas need to be reviewed and cleaned up.  There is some really old crap around that is for old plots, some of it makes no sense to even be there.

Great idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points