Karma, how does it work?

Started by bookie, April 10, 2014, 03:05:46 AM

I've read a bit about Karma in the game and main page but I still don't really know how it works.

Could someone tell me exactly how? Do the staff randomly check in on us as we roleplay and evaluate us? How can I tell what level of karma I have acquired and what is available to me, etc?

Karma is a sort of measure of how much the staff has seen and noted you to be consistent and appropriate in your RP. It's not really a ranking of who RPs better than someone else, but more that someone's shown they are able to handle the various realities of the IC world.

It's very complex in some ways, and don't be discouraged if after a character you find yourself with no additional Karma. It takes a long time to build sometimes, particularly for unclanned folks, off-peakers and those who don't send in regular Character Reports to keep the staff up-to-date with their goings on.

From what I know, it is awarded from staff who watch you numerous times silently. Either just by chance, or during a clan RPT or such. When you are logged into your account on the Mantis Head screen, I believe 'O' is the option which allows you to see what Karma options you have available.

If you see Desert Elf on the list of races, congratulations, you have 1 Karma.

Staff will probably chime in soon with a more enlightening answer, but that's my two sids.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

What BleakOne said covers it pretty completely, but I would add due to the nature of the system, the more noticeable you are, the easier it is to earn karma. If you are clanned, then at the very least you have a boss that includes you in his or her character reports to staff, but you can also report in once in a while. If what you're doing is interesting, staff may drop in to see what you're doing. It would be harder if you are off-peak, but regular reports (once a month for non-leaders is probably fine) describing what plots you're in and what you're doing doesn't take a whole lot more effort than playing the game, and goes a long way towards showing staff what you're up to.

After you've been playing for a few months you can ask for your account notes, and ask for staff to review how much karma you should have. If you've been playing a while, they may grant you a karma point for longevity.

One small addition to what's been said, which seems good so far.  The criteria are listed on the site, and if for some reason you feel you meet some of that criteria you can probably put in a request suggesting what you think you qualify for.

Karma also probably works on a decreasing slope curve.  Meaning, you may get your first one or two somewhat faster than you may acquire the points after, especially as some may require multiple characters over years of time to demonstrate sufficient proficiency and trust.

Also, coming from a player, so take with a grain of salt.

The other way folks commonly get karma is by requesting permission to play a karma-restricted race or guild. If the application is approved and you do well with the role, staff will sometimes up your karma so that you keep the option you applied for. You can only special app roles within 3 karma of your current level.

Basically, if you've been playing for 3-6 months and want to try playing a desert elf or a magick-user, send in a special app for desert elf (1 karma), water elementalist (2 karma), or stone elementalist (2 karma).

And do request your account notes after you've been playing six months or so, and every year after that. Often those notes don't contain much, but I think it reminds staff to take a look at what you've been doing and perhaps review your karma.

(CFAP:TWAGAS)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Kryos on April 10, 2014, 08:29:45 AM
Karma also probably works on a decreasing slope curve. 

Also, coming from a player, so take with a grain of salt.

I can't remember the last time I got karma but I'm pretty sure it was before the change in guidelines. I've been back to playing full time for near three years and I've not asked for a review. I think that first karma (which took me ten years to try) was the most nerve wracking.

I think (hope) all players (most) get to the point of not worrying about it anymore.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 10, 2014, 10:56:58 AM
I think (hope) all players (most) get to the point of not worrying about it anymore.

I think when you are new, it's natural to concern yourself with karma at least for the first 1 or 2. I really wanted to play a Desert Elf, even as a complete newbie. Then I really wanted to play a magicker...and so on. Now I'm fairly comfortable with my karma level, except I'm always finding ways to wish I had more.

But what helps is getting to this point where you realize even the things that you start off with are capable of generating big, interesting plots. The other stuff may be interesting to play with (for example, I think playing a d-elf and a magicker are my two favorite things as far as the code goes) but a Ranger, Burglar, Warrior, Pickpocket, whatever, Elf/Human...you are able to have a *really* awesome character with just the basics once you learn how to work the environment around you. I think it takes probably a couple of years (or at least it did for me, I was brand new to roleplay) to get to a point where you can start driving plots. But that's where the real fun is, and at that point karma no longer matters.

Until you say "I have a great concept for a mul with an extended subguild!" then...you better get to work.  ;D

I have karma but I never use it. My favorite part of the game is the social interaction, and the best way to get that is with a zero karma mundane human.

What Brytta says has a ring of truth. I suspect that if I wanted more karma, I should ask for it, either by special application into a higher karma role or by asking for my account notes to be reviewed. I've got a couple karma over the years from staff watching me, and I've gotten some kudos from other players, but I've never taken those proactive steps.

Last I looked I was still sitting at 0 Karma. Lots have changed since then on my play and I think a couple of things happened that might have earned me if at all possible negative karma... But I'm hoping to get into the good graces with the staff to try and build that up. Though for what I do the starting races/guilds are fine for me.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on April 10, 2014, 04:16:09 PM
Last I looked I was still sitting at 0 Karma. Lots have changed since then on my play and I think a couple of things happened that might have earned me if at all possible negative karma... But I'm hoping to get into the good graces with the staff to try and build that up. Though for what I do the starting races/guilds are fine for me.

Don't sweat it. I've gotten docked... twice. You live (or on Arm die) and you learn. Be better.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 10, 2014, 04:39:32 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on April 10, 2014, 04:16:09 PM

Don't sweat it. I've gotten docked... twice. You live (or on Arm die) and you learn. Be better.

Yeah I probably have been docked twice, maybe three times... I've been too afraid to ask for my account notes.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Drayab
What Brytta says has a ring of truth. I suspect that if I wanted more karma, I should ask for it, either by special application into a higher karma role or by asking for my account notes to be reviewed.

I received my first two points of Karma through asking for my account notes to be reviewed for that specific purpose. Although I believe that staff can also remove karma if they believe you no longer meet all the criteria as well, so it's weather you believe you meet the standards.

Quote from: Jeax
Quote from: ShaLeah

I think when you are new, it's natural to concern yourself with karma at least for the first 1 or 2.

This. I doubt I was the only newbie to read about karma required classes on the boards and think I was being jipped at first because I didn't have all character classes and races open to me. It wasn't until I'd received my 2nd point that I actually realised that the mundanes are probably the least restrictive roles, and Karma is in fact a work promotion, designed to lure you into more responsibility and duties for little extra pay and longer hours.....metaphorically.

And you still work towards become CEO Tek 2.0 Badass Sorc.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

When I was a newbie, I didn't want a karma role. I wanted to be a templar. I was so disappointed when I didn't have that option.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Come to think of it, I still don't.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Roooooooooole applicatioooooooooon

I enjoy mundane roles, however, I'd like to have the karma to play the basic magicker roles, so if I say, want to roll up a rukkian or vivaduan, I have the option without pestering staff with a special app. I'm halfway there, not sure how I'm going to get the rest of the way, or if it's even possible at this point, but whatever, is a minor inconvenience, at least d-elves are open to me now. I imagine if they'll give me a point of karma, then they must be pretty reasonable and considerate about the first few points.

One day though, I want to play a mind bender. That would be fun. Or a drovian. Maybe not even get involved in any plots, just watch them and take notes.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

April 14, 2014, 03:13:23 PM #16 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:49:41 PM by James de Monet
Moved my post to RAT, because it didn't have to do with the mechanics of the karma system.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

April 16, 2014, 09:56:16 AM #17 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:08:02 AM by Zerero
ceasing to opine

Guys, please limit your responses in this thread (more broadly, in this whole forum) to answering new players' questions. This isn't a venue to opine on topics and how they relate to your own personal experience. You're welcome to make threads in General Discussion for that, but keep replies here focused on being helpful.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Saellyn on April 12, 2014, 12:10:29 PM
Roooooooooole applicatioooooooooon

This made me laugh more than it should have...

To the OP: Honestly, don't worry about Karma too much, and focus on playing a well rounded PC, and it'll come. Keep in touch with staff, have fun and take boots.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."