Let the lights go out!

Started by Morrolan, March 29, 2014, 04:04:53 PM

March 29, 2014, 04:04:53 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:11:22 PM by Morrolan
I first proposed this back when 2.arm was being discussed. I'd like to see far fewer lit rooms in the world. Even better, I'd like to see a new code for lighting indoor rooms from the outside.

So the lighting state for a tent would be based on the weather and time of day in the linked room. The ambient light in an apartment would either be dark or dim (no windows) or the same as room X - the room the windows on.

The materially poor would have to actually buy light sources, or huddle inside public places. (+1 for encouraging interaction)
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

March 29, 2014, 04:08:40 PM #1 Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:10:20 PM by Harmless
This is a cool idea particularly for tent rooms like you said.

From my experience, a lot of apartments have lanterns, sconces, candles, etc in their room descriptions. Given that you're paying rent, I'd hope that at least some of that is taken care of for you. But for low-class apartments without any mention of that, or for those with only windows, it'd be pretty cool if there a window-light code for them.

+1.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Unfortunately it'd would encourage bad RP in addition to encouraging good RP. I've been in "dark" apartments that had campfires on the floor, and stacks of kindling on the shelves. In furnished apartments - with no chimneys...

Or they'd just use some of their starting sids to buy a glow crystal and use it whenever they need to actually see something in their apartment. And when they don't need to see something, they would just sit in there in the dark. I've seen that too. I walked in on someone spamcrafting in the dark once.

Call me a cynic, but I think the potential for increased twinkage outweighs the potential for increased interaction.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think simple changes to what can be used where would avoid those moments, Liz. You can't craft unless there's light, you can't burn a campfire indoors, etc.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Tents I agree with. Drafty areas I would like to see this... Related to this topic though, what's the deal of only being able to see one room in if its dark outside and all rooms are lit. Say for instance if its dark out and I'm standing outside the Tembo's Tooth I can only see into the tavern part and no further. You would think since all three rooms are lit one would be able to see all the way through. Just a thought.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I'm at a maybe for this.  The pro is that it is more realistic and might promote public interaction but only for the room with the light and the next room by it.  The con is, like what Lizzie, said that it could cause bad RP unless it's fixed to prevent such things.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think the lighting code having nothing between 'dark like oblivion' and 'cloudless sunshine with not a thing in the air' is what makes this idea be a little doubtful.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Err. In a ridiculously low-technology world also poverty stricken, I would expect people to hoard a shit ton of weird stuff in their shelves.

Anyway, I don't think it's a terrible thing. I think I trust most of you not to abuse stuff as was mentioned before.

If we didn't do things because we thought it would promote good RP with the bad, we'd never progress at all!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on March 31, 2014, 12:40:51 AM
Err. In a ridiculously low-technology world also poverty stricken, I would expect people to hoard a shit ton of weird stuff in their shelves.

Anyway, I don't think it's a terrible thing. I think I trust most of you not to abuse stuff as was mentioned before.

If we didn't do things because we thought it would promote good RP with the bad, we'd never progress at all!

+1
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Quote from: Lizzie on March 29, 2014, 04:23:37 PM
Unfortunately it'd would encourage bad RP in addition to encouraging good RP. I've been in "dark" apartments that had campfires on the floor, and stacks of kindling on the shelves. In furnished apartments - with no chimneys...

Or they'd just use some of their starting sids to buy a glow crystal and use it whenever they need to actually see something in their apartment. And when they don't need to see something, they would just sit in there in the dark. I've seen that too. I walked in on someone spamcrafting in the dark once.

Call me a cynic, but I think the potential for increased twinkage outweighs the potential for increased interaction.

have you ever been in favor of any proposed changed to ArmageddonMUD(TM based nyr) in the entire history of the world
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Oh, come on now. She has been in favor with a lot but there's no point in posting about that, because it'd ruin her image as a codgery old badger.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 01, 2014, 11:50:08 PM
Oh, come on now. She has been in favor with a lot but there's no point in posting about that, because it'd ruin her image as a codgery old badger.

Badgers are in favor of a lot of ideas!

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on April 02, 2014, 12:04:34 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 01, 2014, 11:50:08 PM

Badgers are in favor of a lot of ideas!

I laughed irl.

Me. I love this idea. To make it more logical for apartments, if there could just be a light/extinguish lantern in them. It's mainly a rp feature. BTW, is it possible to craft in the dark?

Seems like it shouldn't be.

Only if they're a witch...?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

April 05, 2014, 03:29:21 PM #15 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:59:44 AM by CodeMaster
Many things about the light code seem to be simplified for convenience. For example you can "hold torch" and off you go.  Playability is sacred.

But, there might be support for this idea already in the code:  there are outdoor rooms, such as in a Bazaar, that are never truly dark to the point where you start stumbling around, even on a moonless night.  I believe this light level still supports interaction with items, so "light lamp" would work even if it's on the ground (correct me??)

(Aside: on moonless nights in these city rooms, you get a message that stinging sands are whirling around you.  It appears even when there is no storm or even wind.  Perhaps "Visibility is too poor for you to see much at all" would be more appropriate.  That way, even if the message is tied to storms elsewhere in the code, it won't be wrong.)

If it is possible, apartments with no plausible ambient light source (even from a well lit hallway) could make use of this light level.  I've never seen the "middle" light level in an indoor room, so it might not be as simple as setting a room flag and could be a larger coding project.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"