Memoir #1: The Elven Seeker -- Rairen

Started by Nyr, March 18, 2014, 11:27:06 AM

Here's a piece that (as requested) contains a bard (or two) played well and elven trickery.

Link to the original submission here:  http://www.armageddon.org/original/search/elven%20seeker%20rairen

Copy and paste of the submission below.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

QuoteMemoir #1 - The Elven Seeker (Tuha) by Rairen
Added on Mar 16, 2009

A chance encounter on the streets of Tuluk leads a Circle Apprentice to challenge an uncomfortable question: What do you do when an elf outranks you?

It is dusk on Huegel, the 74th day of the Descending Sun,
In the Year of Suk-Krath's Slumber, year 32 of the 21st Age.
You are Aja, Apprentice of the Bards of Poets' Circle.
Objective: To become the Heart and Soul of Tuluk
You are 19 years, 2 months, and 210 days old.

North Road [NESW]
   The stark white of this wide stone road lies nestled between the rise and fall of a conglomerated jumble of eclectically styled buildings. Passing through the city, the road is kept clean of any blowing sand and forest debris.  The pale backbone cuts a decisive line east across the bustling metropolis towards what remains of the Old City.    The pale white of the road merges with a newer road just to the east. Further in the distance, the crumbled ruins of the old city can be seen rising up above the newer walls that have been built up around them.  Set on the north side of the road is a large two-story tavern.  On the south side of the road is a large wagon yard.

The slender, fine-featured elf has arrived from the north.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman stops just before crashing into the slender, fine-featured elf.
You look up at the slender, fine-featured elf.

Standing a little over five cords in height, this male elf's presence is by no means imposing.  Fine features adorn his prominently elvish facade, framed by a sleek mane of sand-hued hair.  His build complements his lissome effigy, his form seemingly composed of little more than sparsely fleshed-out bone.  His curious eyes are ever so slightly mismatched.  One remains an amber hue, whilst the other bears a subtle hint of green.  Tattoos common to Gol Krathu are apparent upon this elf's copper-toned skin, almost lost in the myriad of colorful inks that mark his flesh.

Voice soft, you say, in sirihish:
     "Oh... pardon."
The slender, fine-featured elf steps out from the tavern, pausing as he passes you.
To you with an easy smile, the slender, fine-featured elf asks, in sirihish:
     "Everything alright there, Aja?"
A few drops of sweat glistening at her collarbone, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Of course, Seeker.  Thank you for asking."
The ethereal, fair-haired woman looks up at the slender, fine-featured elf with a patient expression, a flush at her neck and cheeks.
Steping to one side to circle you closely, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "You seem a little, worried..."
Looking up to him without moving, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "If I do, I apologize for it."
The slender, fine-featured elf appears at your left shoulder.
Posture straightening, you ask the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "A prank, Seeker?"
(hemote) The ethereal, fair-haired woman's jaw tenses.
To you, taking a step back, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "Oh no, I wouldn't be -that- obvious, Aja. Plus there are far more interesting targets that yourself. You'd probably apologise afterwards..."
The ethereal, fair-haired woman looks up at the slender, fine-featured elf, over her shoulder now, with a quiet smile.
You say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "If you say so, Seeker.  I would hate to ruin your jokes."
The slender, fine-featured elf pipes a brief chuckle.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman turns, resting her back against the wall of the Sanctuary.
Her expression patient, once again, you ask the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "... Did I distract you from your business?"
The slender, fine-featured elf looks down at you.
(hemote) A subtle tension rests in the ethereal, fair-haired woman's neck.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman folds her hands in front of herself.
(hemote) A few strands of hair, sticky with sweat, cling to the ethereal, fair-haired woman's neck.
Smirking, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "My business varies, I doubt you could distract me for long if I had something important to do."
Inclining her head in agreement, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Of course, Seeker."
A grin creeping between his lips, baring his narrow teeth, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "You agree with most things I say, it seems."

Returning the slender, fine-featured elf's grin with a faint smile, you ask the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Should I disagree with them?"
The ethereal, fair-haired woman inclines her head to one side, pale eyes still watching the slender, fine-featured elf.
His mismatched eyes lighting up for a second, the slender, fine-featured elf asks, in sirihish:
     "Perhaps, but then you would have to apologise for all our disagreements, hmm?"
With a correct nod, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Yes, of course.  It would be a source of conversation."
(hemote) The crisp aroma of mint still clings to the ethereal, fair-haired woman.
You think:
     "I will survive this and be stronger for it."
After a short pause, tilting his head a touch, the slender, fine-featured elf asks, in sirihish:
     "No... it wouldn't be a good source of conversation...?"
Blinking, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "I said it would be a source of conversation.  Not that it would be a good one."
To you, pouting his lips curiously, the slender, fine-featured elf asks, in sirihish:
     "A terrible one?"
Pale gaze dropping to the slender, fine-featured elf's lips, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "I don't know.  I could find a conversation with you terrible."
You say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Could... not find, I mean."
The ethereal, fair-haired woman frowns.
To you, snapping his fingers with an edgy grin, the slender, fine-featured elf asks, in sirihish:
     "Aha! You have said something I might deem as offensive, hmm? You'd better apologise, or should you?"
Forehead creasing, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Do you need me to apologize?  I thought you found it terrible."
The ethereal, fair-haired woman glances to the slender, fine-featured elf's hand and then back up to his face.
The slender, fine-featured elf tilts his head a moment, rubbing his cheek.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman tilts her head in the opposite direction.
Suddenly, with a bright smile, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "A most interesting thing, you are. I am hungry."
The slender, fine-featured elf turns elegantly on his heel.
A smile crossing her lips, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Thank you, Seeker."
The slender, fine-featured elf walks north.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman exhales, relief in her expression.
You think:
     "I wonder if that means he'll kill me."
You think:
     "... I really can't do this to myself."

North Salt Road [NSW]
   Rows of pale stones form the backbone for this broad avenue, settled
into the ground with graceful fervor.  Decorating the edge of the street,
the buildings and storefronts are universally adorned with garish and tawdry sculptures, bas reliefs, and murals.  The road is filled with a continual throng of humans and demi-humans alike as they scurry about the bustle of daily life.
  The sounds of a rowdy commotion spills out onto the streets from the
building to the west.  A trio of humanoid sculptures are caught before the junction between two roads, the crowds passing around them.  An odd-looking sculpture surrounds a stone bench off to one side of the road.

Sitting on the bench, the ethereal, fair-haired woman crosses her legs at the ankle and stretches them in front of her.
The slender, fine-featured elf has arrived from the west.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman looks up at the sky from her seat.

Lowering her gaze, you look up at the slender, fine-featured elf.
Approaching a small white stone bench, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "Well if you aren't just everywhere..."
Mirth in her eyes for just a moment, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "No, I'm only here.  I give my word."
The slender, fine-featured elf narrows his eyes with a thin smile.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman casts the slender, fine-featured elf a lovely smile, her expression attentive.
Glancing left, then right with a grin, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "That'd be the right answer, my dear. Any other and we had a witch's execution..."
With a sage nod, you say to the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Yes, I know."
Crossing her legs as she clasps her hands over one knee, you ask the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "... Is all well, Seeker?"
The slender, fine-featured elf casts a puzzled expression, jutting a long, thin arm out to one side.
(hemote) The wind causes strands of the ethereal, fair-haired woman's hair to brush against her face and shoulders.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman looks down the length of the slender, fine-featured elf's arm.
With a flick the slender, fine-featured elf turns his hand, producing his red bone flute.
You notice: The slender, fine-featured elf bites his lip.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman looks back to the slender, fine-featured elf with the appropriate degree of admiration.
To you, giving his red bone flute a short twirl, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "Yet this is not a foul practice... but an artful one. My, sometimes I confuse even myself..."
The slender, fine-featured elf smirks.
With a polite smile, you ask the slender, fine-featured elf, in sirihish:
     "Should I be confused as well?"
You think:
     "... Oh, he should be very careful."
The slender, fine-featured elf sits on a small white stone bench.
You think:
     "And so should I, thinking of it."
At your seat, you say in sirihish, turning her head to look at the slender, fine-featured elf:
     "Do you wish me to go, Seeker?"
At your seat, the slender, fine-featured elf says in sirihish, grinning as he quirks a thin, sandy eyebrow:
     "Would you if I asked?"
At your seat, you say in sirihish, also lifting a slender eyebrow:
     "Yes, of course - unless you wish me to ignore you, of course."
At your seat, the slender, fine-featured elf says in sirihish, to you, his eyes blazing a moment:
     "Wrong, see. The correct reply would be "Naff off, neck!"."
At your seat, you say in sirihish, with a slight nod as she looks back to the slender, fine-featured elf:
     "I'll try to remember that."
To you, scooching back on the bench, the slender, fine-featured elf says, in sirihish:
     "Don't bother, eh? You'll save yourself an apology."
At your seat, you say in sirihish, with a shrug of her slender shoulders:
     "As you wish, of course, Seeker."
(hemote) The ethereal, fair-haired woman's cloak brushes against the slender, fine-featured elf's back.
At your seat, the slender, fine-featured elf says in sirihish, musing:
     ""As you wish.".... Sands, if all the apprentices said that I'd have Krath on a stick."
At your seat, you say in sirihish, with flickering mirth:
     "An interesting wish."
You think:
     "I will not die."
You think:
     "I will not fail."
You think:
     "I will not lose."
At your seat, the slender, fine-featured elf says in sirihish, to you, lowering his gaze:
     "So, what were you planning to do all alone on this bench, hmm?"
(The pesky thing evidently having no plans of leaving her be, Aja continues speaking with him.  Noticing discomfort for the first time in his cool demeanor, she takes a different tact, using the Way.)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

You notice: The slender, fine-featured elf swallows briefly.
You contact the slender, fine-featured elf with the Way.
You send a telepathic message to the slender, fine-featured elf:
     "... Have I done something wrong, Tuha?"
The slender, fine-featured elf narrows his eyes curiously at you.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.
The slender, fine-featured elf sends you a telepathic message:
     "What are you doing in my head?"
The ethereal, fair-haired woman continues to look at the slender, fine-featured elf, a slight crease to her forehead.
     "Displeasing you, it seems."
     "*with a hint of mirth* Better apologise, hmm? That'd be Seeker, and all."
     "*sharing your amusement* If you wish.  Do you?"
     "No. Perhaps... It doesn't matter."
     "... Why doesn't it matter?"
The slender, fine-featured elf glances off for a second, appearing distracted.
You notice: The slender, fine-featured elf peeps back at you a moment.
You notice the slender, fine-featured elf start watching you.
(hemote) With the slender, fine-featured elf's gaze turned, the ethereal, fair-haired woman's lets out a long, soft breath.
(hemote) The crisp aroma of mint surrounds the ethereal, fair-haired woman.
(hemote) A few strands of hair cling to the ethereal, fair-haired woman's neck and the side of her face.
     "Beacause it's in my head, Master What-his-face Driamusek can't hear you..."
     "Do you believe Master Olide would approve of my behavior?"
You notice: The slender, fine-featured elf's nostrils flare briefly.
(hemote) A subtle tension rests in the ethereal, fair-haired woman's neck.
The slender, fine-featured elf's eyes fall half-closed with a faint smile.
The ethereal, fair-haired woman continues to regard the slender, fine-featured elf with a patient expression, her hands folded on her lap.
     "He'd hate it. Chattering away with a Rusarla elf. It'd drive them all mad."
     "It is possible.  Why are you doing it?"
     "Doing what?"
     "Chattering away at a Driamusek bardess, Seeker."
The slender, fine-featured elf sways his head elegntly from one side to the other.
     "Because I wish to."
(hemote) A brief, slender smile toys at the corner of the ethereal, fair-haired woman's mouth.
You notice: The slender, fine-featured elf lips twitch.
     "Very well."
     "Do I cause you discomfort, Tuha?"
    "Being chased by seven gortoks caused me discomfort once. You are far from it."
     "*mirth crossing her thoughts* Far from seven?"
     "... Six?"
     "Perhaps one, though it'd have to be a rather dazzling gortok."
The ethereal, fair-haired woman inclines her head to the slender, fine-featured elf in a polite, respectful gesture.
     "Thank you, Seeker."
     "We've talked for hours and said almost nothing.  A remarkable accomplishment, even for two bards."

"I'm the best at talking in circles by far, my dear Aja."
    "So I'm discovering.  Why?"
     "*with a soft mental giggle* Because that's how I work, Aja. Circles avoid a direction."
(hemote) A few drops of sweat glisten at the ethereal, fair-haired woman's collarbone.
     "Don't you get dizzy?"
The slender, fine-featured elf gaze lingers on your neck.
     "Sometimes."
Brow creasing, the ethereal, fair-haired woman breaks her attentive regard of the slender, fine-featured elf to glance down at your laced lavender silk blouse.
     "Circles never end, do they, no matter what might cross their path."
The ethereal, fair-haired woman adjusts the clasp of your airy, white cotton cloak as she returns to regarding the slender, fine-featured elf attentively.
     "Oh, circles can be broken, that I'm sure of. I'm just not to clued up on how."
     "Nor I, Seeker."
     "Nor have I particular desire to learn."
     "True. But you have desire to break circles, perhaps. Though perhaps I just have the desire to continue along them..."
     "No, Seeker.  I have no interest breaking circles.  It is not in my nature."
Gaze growing more intent, you look up at the slender, fine-featured elf.
You notice: The slender, fine-featured elf breathing grows a touch deeper.
You think:
     "Yes... you hear me..."
The slender, fine-featured elf returns your gaze for a brief moment.
     "It was never my nature..."
Before moving on, the coffee-tressed young woman looks down at the slender, fine-featured elf.
The slender, fine-featured elf glances up with a wary eye.
     "You understand.  I could try to discover what breaks a circle, what causes it fear, what brings it joy... but I will not.  It has no purpose for me."
(hemote) The ethereal, fair-haired woman swallows, the hollow of her throat deepening with the motion.
     "And I. Though I do not worry about purpose. Little we do has purpose. We do things because we have to, not because we want to."
The slender, fine-featured elf feigns adjusting his elegant white velvet hat, his eyes flicking to you every so often.
(What do you do when an elf outranks you?  You show composure, enough sardonic humility to entice, and establish a rule that poses no threat to the pointy-eared bastard.
Perhaps the more interesting question, however, is how did the conversation end...)

The ethereal, fair-haired woman returns the tall, aquiline-faced elf's gaze before looking over to the slender, fine-featured elf.
     "He says he'll trade these mushrooms for you."
The tall, aquiline-faced elf eyes you a moment.
     "Why, I wonder where he would get the idea that you would have the right to make such a trade."
     "Sand hoppers think I'm some kind of king elf, I suppose. It's the hat."
You think:
     "Damn all elves."
(... But that's an entirely other story.)

Those hemotes.

Aja... one of my favorite characters ever.

<3 <3 <3

Though I didn't get to play with him nearly as much as Aja, Tuha was an awesome elf. I think he was the only elf bard I've ever seen. Whatever happened to that guy?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Always a great RP experience and performance from Driamusek's finest. The other logs with Aja on the website are also highly recommended.

Tuha as an elf here is played in a pretty interesting way.  We've got him as a Rusarla Seeker.  For those unfamiliar with Tuluk, Rusarla is the only Circle that allows nonhumans in it.  There is more internal documentation available for this Circle (find out by becoming a Tuluki bard, there are thousands of words of newly formed documentation available there!) that makes a few more things clear here.  I'll share a brief bit of insight into that.  Tuha isn't just tweaking the nose of a human that is lower in overall bardic rank than him, he is tweaking the nose of a Driamusek.  The two Circles are major rivals!  Here's my elven trickery hypothesis.  It looks like he is forcing Aja (Driamusek, a Circle known for its etiquette) to raise up some kind of annoyance visibly.  As an elf, he is taking something from Aja that wouldn't be given if she knew he was tweaking this side of her (as I suspect, reviewing the log).  She'd likely ignore him, depriving him of this pleasure of bothering her...but she won't, because she think she can't.

Based on one part of the log it looks like he steals her flute, but I don't know if that's what is indicated there.  If so...kudos.  That's funny!

I found this very interesting. Tuha is very good at being a power hungry (in this particular instance) elf. This is well played out. The part I find fascinating is when they talk of the Driamusek Master Bard and he is visibly terrified of that person. Its good to see the terror that people even in power have for those in greater power. This is very well done. Kudos to a well played elf.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

This is also one of the few scenarios where you will see an Elf outrank a human, and not flaunt it -too- openly.
Eurynomos
Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

I like this one. It's difficult to tell what's going on, much less what's being taken, which, I suppose, is as it should be. It appears to just be a bit of banter, with the human seeming a bit uncomfortable, even this could be a form of thievery, but that could be stretching it. The elf continually seems to point out the awkwardness of it all in a roundabout way that seems like good-natured teasing, without arousing any outright hostility. As to how serious the situation is, I know very few of the circumstances surrounding the conversation, and nothing about bards, so it makes it very difficult for me to comprehend. I've found some characters seem to expect the whole "Haha, I'm an elf so I'm nicking your coinpouch!" sort of thing, when I'd expect them to be much more clever with what they do.

Just my ignorant thoughts on the matter.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

March 24, 2014, 07:16:43 PM #9 Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:21:36 PM by Spoon
Cool, first off thanks to Rairen for submitting this originally. It's a rare privilege to see an exchange like this from both sides!

Nyr's assessment is pretty spot on, though personally I never went for the more metaphysical interpretations of elven thief culture (there's certainly a lot of trickery in his words). The Rusarla/Driamusek rivalry was encouraged at the time and was a lot of fun. Tuha is probing Aja for a rash reaction and they end up playing some sort of cat and mouse game with their dialogue. Eventually he could force her into a corner, like making her choose between something like saving face or taking up a (rigged) wager. He fails at this of course, and it's great to see Aja's transition from discomfort to panic, then from determination to success. I've read this three times now, including playing through it, and the last part I always interpret as sexual (though comfortably mild). Check out those hemotes! And this nifty chat up line:

At your seat, the slender, fine-featured elf says in sirihish, to you, lowering his gaze:
    "So, what were you planning to do all alone on this bench, hmm?"

She obviously makes him uncomfortable by using the way. It's nice how is feels like a far more personal conversation after this. It's cool you noticed the part about the master bard, slvrmoontiger. It's after this point Tuha gives up on trying to make a drama out of everything.

"What do you do when an elf outranks you?  You show composure, enough sardonic humility to entice, and establish a rule that poses no threat to the pointy-eared bastard."

I see the rule as a challenge of social etiquette she forces him to adhere to. I just checked Tuha's original bio and remembered he conveniently had a half-elven daughter that had cost him social points before he even started. By the end he's resorted to clumsy teasing (with the desert elf).

I have fond memories of playing Tuha, kudos to everyone in the Bard's Circle back then (2005?). Trivia for anyone who manages to catch me up on my off-peak playtimes: though sharing a lot of elven traits, a few years later I rolled up Yish as the antithesis of Tuha.

I think Aja went on to much greater things (awesome amount of memoirs, honoured to be in there). What happened to Tuha? Well, he was a selfish shit. After a long career of thieving and teasing he eventually succumbed to a huge meth addiction and was knocked out by a beggar. Beat that. That's the sorriest rock star story ever.

p.s Stealing the flute.

The flute is most certainly stolen, but I don't think it was Aja's. Tuha was a bit of an off-peak crime wave.

Awesome!

So did you actually steal her flute?

I just remembered and edited it...

Bit of a let down? Do I lose karma for that? :P

I played with Tuha as my Elkinhym bard around 2005 (I think he actually DID steal my flute at that time - or maybe a instrument of Methyas Groot or Holten Irofel, idk), and I also played with Yish in the Byn.

Both awesome elves that stuck out as very well played - I didn't know you played Yish, but I should have.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

That Yish name...was that a few years back, like in 2011?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points