(Idea) A New Benefit of Campfires

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, March 14, 2014, 08:27:52 AM

I'd like to see bonfires, campfires, and other larger light sources allow you to see in your room no matter what, barring magickal interference or blinding storms. Yes, this includes regular sandstorms and other natural phenomenon. This would do a couple of things - it would promote IG use of both camp fires and kindling, and it would allow RP that makes sense at night.

Yes, I am aware that IRL, you might not actually be helped by a fire all that much, at night, during a storm, but for playability and RP purposes, I think this would be a welcome change.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think tents give you a visible room though- so maybe this sort of opportunity is covered?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I'm against it for the obvious reason that no, you shouldn't be able to see at night in the dark with a storm. You shouldn't even be able to get a fire going.

Bogre, tents are indoor rooms. You should be able to light up your camp site too.

Slinger, what if it functioned in non-serious storms? Not terrible, and not blinding, but in stinging storms or less?

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 14, 2014, 10:50:30 AM
Bogre, tents are indoor rooms. You should be able to light up your camp site too.

Slinger, what if it functioned in non-serious storms? Not terrible, and not blinding, but in stinging storms or less?

I'd be down with that.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I agree wirh RGS for the sake of realism, and also I think storms are well done as is.

For example, torches get blown out by wind, but campfires don't right? So that's a plus.

Maybe there can be further gradations added to  "stinging sand swirls around you" but I have no qualms with things as they are.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 14, 2014, 10:50:30 AM

Those were the sort of storms I was referring to. It's hard as fuck to get a fire going even if you have a faint breeze. It's hard in even the best conditions.

Also there's the question of If storms are a problem for playability maybe storms themselves should be addressed.

The sorcerer kings (or more realistically, their templars/gemmed) should shield their respective cities from the worst of it.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

There's no issue with playability in a storm - it's about garnering uses for all the stuff in the game, and being able to RP effectively as a camper. I have not seen campfires used often. I see tents used all the time. I'd like to see campfires used more often. If they granted in-room visibility in anything milder than a strong storm, they would fudge enough to the side of reality to be acceptable, and they would become more widely used.

In that vein, I think making campfires make a room quit-safe would be cool, though maybe a bit redundant with quit-ooc.

Perhaps making them increase stamina/healing? There's nothing more relaxing than sitting around a camp-fire.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 14, 2014, 05:02:19 PM
Perhaps making them increase stamina/healing? There's nothing more relaxing than sitting around a camp-fire.

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I like that ... a 'patch of shade' bonus? Perhaps cumulative with an actual patch of shade?

Dig it.

Why would a heat source make you recover faster in the desert?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on March 14, 2014, 08:56:40 PM
Why would a heat source make you recover faster in the desert?

It's hard to describe. It's not there to warm you up, or to cook food with. When you're out in the wilderness a fire doesn't just keep you alive for the obvious reasons, it keeps you sane, keeps morale up. Besides, desert nights get cold.

... I think the idea was for a relaxing comfort bonus of sort, but I dunno. However, it gets cold at night, so maybe a flip flop effect. Bonus on cool or cold nights, no effect on normal days or nights, debuff on hot days?

Yeh, what slinger said.

In that case, I dig this idea.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I like it, though I'd also like to see the ability for people some distance away (one room or more depending on the light source strength, weather conditions, height difference, etc) be able to see that light as well with some sort of indicative message. 

It'd be even more awesome if there were another echo type message not reliant on a player's look command that popped up as you walked into a room (or as the light lit up!):

> l
You can't see anything not because you're blind, but because it's really really really dark.

> l
No seriously.

> n
It's still pitch black here, but you notice a bright source of light in the near distance to the east.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I dig this suggestion to the idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I also love that idea.

I'd like you to be able to clean a campfire from a save room.

Quote from: GithMaster on March 16, 2014, 08:08:47 PM
I'd like you to be able to clean a campfire from a save room.
I'd rather they deteriorated, like bodies. I'm alright with the cleaning bit, but I'd like to see them have a life span of time based on the place they are in and the weather around them.

However it happens, permabonfires in save rooms need to go eventually.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2