I'm not ready let me shop damn it!

Started by rodic, March 08, 2014, 08:03:17 PM

So I'm having an issue, just mainly looking for some sympathy. 

I can't find a damn belt.

A million in one ways for us to kill each other in that strange backwards bazaar, not a single damn belt.
(my starting point didn't allow me the convenience of pre-buying equipment. DERP!)

Anyone know of a particular merchant I should look out for? Cause this is frustrating.

Also, it might be bad, so sorry to whoever in advance for the behavior.  Yes I power walk that damn bazaar shamelessly.  ESPECIALLY when I just got in a new character, new skin, not even sure how I'm approaching it all.  Sorry ain't looking to role play while I frantically try to find perhaps the most simplest of items, I'm not ready, and I did not choose it to be this so. :(

I know I should go to role players prison.
"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

I found my first belt by looking at the City Maps and finding my way to a clothes merchant. It was a nice little exercise in learning how to navigate around my chosen City.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 08, 2014, 08:07:39 PM
I found my first belt by looking at the City Maps and finding my way to a clothes merchant. It was a nice little exercise in learning how to navigate around my chosen City.

Point taken, but your comment came off has needlessly sarcastic.

"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Quote from: rodic on March 08, 2014, 08:03:17 PM
So I'm having an issue, just mainly looking for some sympathy. 

I can't find a damn belt.

A million in one ways for us to kill each other in that strange backwards bazaar, not a single damn belt.
(my starting point didn't allow me the convenience of pre-buying equipment. DERP!)

Anyone know of a particular merchant I should look out for? Cause this is frustrating.

Also, it might be bad, so sorry to whoever in advance for the behavior.  Yes I power walk that damn bazaar shamelessly.  ESPECIALLY when I just got in a new character, new skin, not even sure how I'm approaching it all.  Sorry ain't looking to role play while I frantically try to find perhaps the most simplest of items, I'm not ready, and I did not choose it to be this so. :(

I know I should go to role players prison.

I don't blame you for this, as finding a belt does seem to be unfairly difficult more often than not.

Since your question is evidently Allanaki in nature, I suggest finding the clothing shop detailed on the map of Allanak - it's marked with a ten. It usually has some generic belts for anyone to buy.

But yeah, sometimes things are gonna be hard to find, and it sucks when they are. I feel you.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I think he's saying he knows where the shops are, he's gone to the shops, but he hasn't found any that have an actual belt. Could be that the shop that normally carries them is sold out. Could be that there is no shop that normally carries them in his particular starting location. I remember having trouble finding a belt as well, when I started one of my PCs in the last year (I don't even remember which PC it was, so I don't remember which starting location it was either).

I remember also having trouble finding any place that carried a certain commonly-used tool, at one point, and something else, some very common thing in Tuluk that the Hunter's Paradise used to carry in infinite supply, but now that the Hunter's Paradise is a different store that sells completely different things, that item wasn't available anywhere in Tuluk at all.

Maps don't help with this. If the city doesn't have the item, then the city doesn't have the item. And yes, it's frustrating. Especially if you show up in a starting location with noob clothes and a background that explains that you had some kind of life before you showed up out of the Hall of Kings, and want at least SOME of your outfit to reflect that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 08, 2014, 08:14:56 PM

I think he's saying he knows where the shops are, he's gone to the shops, but he hasn't found any that have an actual belt. Could be that the shop that normally carries them is sold out. Could be that there is no shop that normally carries them in his particular starting location. I remember having trouble finding a belt as well, when I started one of my PCs in the last year (I don't even remember which PC it was, so I don't remember which starting location it was either).

I remember also having trouble finding any place that carried a certain commonly-used tool, at one point, and something else, some very common thing in Tuluk that the Hunter's Paradise used to carry in infinite supply, but now that the Hunter's Paradise is a different store that sells completely different things, that item wasn't available anywhere in Tuluk at all.

Maps don't help with this. If the city doesn't have the item, then the city doesn't have the item. And yes, it's frustrating. Especially if you show up in a starting location with noob clothes and a background that explains that you had some kind of life before you showed up out of the Hall of Kings, and want at least SOME of your outfit to reflect that.

Exactly, and consider I've been spoiled by being able to buy starter stuff in the hall of kings... this came as a shock to me. 

Any who, With his very Sarcastic help, I did in fact remember a shop in question and was pleasantly surprised. 

Isn't my face red then?
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Dude, I've been playing like 14 goddamn years and I still can't remember where to buy an effing swordbelt.

Sorry you thought it was sarcastic, as it wasn't meant to be. It did take me a couple of hours to find a belt (and this was like, the first goal I set for my character too. Needed a belt to hang swords on!).  I think I bounced around the armor shops first, trying to find a proper fighty belt, before eventually wandering down to an actual clothing store.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a "sword-belt" for sale, either.

March 08, 2014, 08:36:56 PM #8 Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:40:38 PM by rodic
Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 08, 2014, 08:32:54 PM
Sorry you thought it was sarcastic, as it wasn't meant to be. It did take me a couple of hours to find a belt (and this was like, the first goal I set for my character too. Needed a belt to hang swords on!).  I think I bounced around the armor shops first, trying to find a proper fighty belt, before eventually wandering down to an actual clothing store.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a "sword-belt" for sale, either.

Sadly text is a sad way to communicate, can't tell by tone.  I might of just been defensive too, I get like that, when frustrated.

Maybe all the Armageddon stuff got to me and I assume now people in real life are just as murderous and untrustworthy.

Any ways, your advice was solid, because some where in my newbie brain I forgot merchants can exist out side of the bazaar too.

Go figure.

Also Thank you kind sir.
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Wait...you can BUY belts?

I always have to kill for mine.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on March 09, 2014, 05:45:12 AM
Wait...you can BUY belts?

I always have to kill for mine.

The Temptation was there.
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Should we tell him that there are things that are belts that don't say belt that one can sheath things in?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 09, 2014, 10:35:20 AM
Should we tell him that there are things that are belts that don't say belt that one can sheath things in?

We could do that. We could also suggest the *view* command, whenever he's looking at an NPC's list.

view #7

>This is a length of paper towel. It's a normal length, nothing special about it, but it's thick and absorbant, probably Bounty.
You think you could wipe your face with a length of paper towel.
A length of paper towel can be used in skill_housecleaning.
A length of paper towel can be worn as a belt.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I know that part.

I was extremely spoiled by prior starting point it appears.   When first discovering I couldn't just dive into my role, but instead had to scramble around for clothing and bag that made sense, and belt to sheath anything on.  I got worried, I had also been not playing for around a month due to RL issues, so I was very much the fish out of water upon my entry.
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Newbie shops have belts when you first start your PC.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

When I first started playing, we had to find and fill our own waterskins and buy food, too. Adding these to starting gear was a great help.

In addition, I believe a simple, cheap belt should be added to all starting gear sets.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 09, 2014, 05:35:55 PM
In addition, I believe a simple, cheap belt should be added to all starting gear sets.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on March 09, 2014, 06:06:22 PM
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

A simple, cheap belt would be nice.

Before diving right into the city, though, I usually check the chargen shops to purchase gear that would make sense to my character, there are some items that it seems can only be found there.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword