A Noob's First (real) day of RPing

Started by Amoeboid, February 25, 2014, 12:51:26 AM

I've been playing Arm off-and-on, but I've never really had the great experiences that all you vets talk about.  However, that really changed today.  I got really submersed in the underbelly of Allanak, and I'm really enjoying the players and characters I've been playing with.  I'd just like to say how amazing it was to start out.  However, I have a question.  My char is set to be from Luirs' as an origin, and thus is rolled with 'apprentice' in chopping weapons.  Since my backstory is that of a nomad, is there anyway I could have it switched from 'apprentice' in chopping weapons to 'apprentice' in piercing weapons?  I'd naturally expect that the chopping weapons skill be reduced.  Thanks!

Really, just practice. The slight bump to weapon skills based on starting locations is just a coded way to show the general "affinity" some people have for certain styles.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm fairly certain most people ignore the starting skill bump on weapons. Just use what you prefer. It shouldn't be about the skill rank anyways, just what your character likes/doesn't like.
Part-Time Internets Lady

It doesn't take that long, really, to get the skill you want (apprentice level) in piercing. It doesn't take that long for any weapon skill to get to apprentice, relative to how hard it is to do other things. There are also multiple ways to train to get it up to apprentice, so I am pretty doubtful that it's needed...

I'm glad you're having fun though!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Huh.  Okay.  I guess the learning curve goes up.  Anyways, I'll be definitely hanging around for a while.  My past few chars have been stored, and never amounted to much, so I'm having a blast with the current one.

Welcome to Arm!

I think it depends on what your character's preference is on what weapons he/she uses. As stated it really doesn't take that long to get up to apprentice in weapon skills. I'm not sure if this is allowable, but as far as the learn curve going up... I tend to find that learning skills in Arm is a lot like learning things in real life. So is it harder to go from plugging into a lamp to becoming an electrician? I guess that was pretty obvious. But I suspect you get my point.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Yeah, apprentice is the easy mark to get to with weapon skills. Getting past that can be a challenge... I had a thirty day warrior who never got it past apprentice. Admittedly I may have been doing something wrong. In the end there's a lot more to it than weapon skills, so I wouldn't worry too much, just pick up a piercing weapon and get to stabbing.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 27, 2014, 12:31:59 PM
Yeah, apprentice is the easy mark to get to with weapon skills. Getting past that can be a challenge... I had a thirty day warrior who never got it past apprentice. Admittedly I may have been doing something wrong.

The only thing I can imagine you're doing wrong, here, is not sparring/fighting. That or you're talking about playing for a month, not 30 actual days spent in-game.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 27, 2014, 02:54:47 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 27, 2014, 12:31:59 PM
Yeah, apprentice is the easy mark to get to with weapon skills. Getting past that can be a challenge... I had a thirty day warrior who never got it past apprentice. Admittedly I may have been doing something wrong.

The only thing I can imagine you're doing wrong, here, is not sparring/fighting. That or you're talking about playing for a month, not 30 actual days spent in-game.

Nope. Can't reveal the details, but 30 actual days played. He was still pretty badass, just yeah, never went past apprentice, constant fighting/sparring. I know there are people out there who can vouch for this, as to whether they will read this thread or not, well...

I just can't imagine the circumstances that would lead to something like that. I'd have bugged it for sure if it happened to me.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 27, 2014, 03:08:21 PM
I just can't imagine the circumstances that would lead to something like that. I'd have bugged it for sure if it happened to me.

I just tell myself they put a cap on it so he wouldn't become the most deadly thing in the known. I did wish up once, but I was told, not in these exact words, to quit my bitching.

Huh, even most of my rangers make it past apprentice in that amount of time. Maybe you just have very low wisdom.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

February 27, 2014, 07:34:36 PM #12 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:38:28 PM by Inks
Have had the same problem before, though I didn't wish. Fuji is braver than me.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 27, 2014, 06:16:52 PM
Huh, even most of my rangers make it past apprentice in that amount of time. Maybe you just have very low wisdom.

For weapon skills: If you don't miss , your skill doesn't raise.

Doesn't matter what your wisdom is at that point.

My best warrior only hit Journeyman bludgeons at day 55 played. He had poor wisdom.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Lol Nick Falion.

I didn't give any specifics. Just saying. It takes a -long- time.

Honestly it's really quite confusing and if not discussed here, then where? Maybe that's a dumb question, but still.

Generally we're not supposed to delve into the mechanics of stuff like skillups, or specifically how long it takes to get to <point>.... There's also a chance I am completely wrong, but I've always thought it was a no-no.

There's even a chance that I've just been looking for an excuse to use that gif.

That actor seems very popular in MUD circles, for some reason. I smell shenanigans.

Quote from: Scarecrow on February 28, 2014, 04:01:44 AM
That actor seems very popular in MUD circles, for some reason. I smell shenanigans.

Castle and Firefly are great.

Also, wow. I should read an entire thread before posting in it.

Ignore me.

Quote from: Narf on February 28, 2014, 02:12:55 AM

I don't get what your point is. At apprentice you should still be missing.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 28, 2014, 08:34:05 AM
Quote from: Narf on February 28, 2014, 02:12:55 AM

I don't get what your point is. At apprentice you should still be missing.

There's more to it than that, is the impression I get. Anyway, not sure if getting any deeper is allowed.

I'm just going to chock this up yo ya'll being nubs.  ;)

Guys, please limit posts in the Newbie Player Forum to answering the new player's questions. Try to limit editorializing or discussion amongst yourselves; there are other forums for that. Thanks.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.