First hour of play

Started by Volgro, February 16, 2014, 03:34:42 PM

Greetings everyone,

My Character just got accepted, and I jumped straight in the game.  ;D
First I was afraid to die within the first hour but I kept low profile wandering the streets of Tuluk. Sure I got lost Twice but the very helpful "Directions" Command came in hand (and the notepad of mudlet for sure).
I finished my day at the Tavern and had my first experience with Roleplay and while I was going back and forth from the emote helpfiles to the conversations  I must say it was all fun !!! And I'm very eager to discover what Arm has to offer!

Now that I am part of the adventure I have some questions :

Is there a way to have different colors for different text types on mudlet as I used to have with other MUDS ?

I've seen some recruiting messages on the board but some seem dating back to as far as June is there a way to know if a job offer is outdated or not?

And Since I am playing a young human forced to thievery for survival reasons is there a way to meet a IG professional theif so he can help me master my "craft ?

Anyway I can't express how excited  I am about this whole adventure and hope for the best for all for you :D

Hey man, welcome to the game. You really shouldn't be giving away info about your current character though. That being said check out the docs more about crime in Tuluk and look up shadow artists. Good luck!

Welcome to Armageddon! I agree about checking out the helpfiles regarding shadow artistry to learn how the system works in Tuluk.  Getting ahold of your friendly neighborhood templar could be beneficial when trying to find a thief teacher (but it is anything but guaranteed).  Regarding the rumor board posts, things tend to change swiftly in the game and names from a few months ago may not still be current. As a general rule, I tend to look for job opportunities for my characters from posts within the last one or two RL months.  If you have more specific questions, check out the live help chat function, and have fun!
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Checking posts on the tavern board (which - btw - your character isn't reading. It's little mini-scenes he's overheard, or heard from a friend of a friend whose second cousin heard about it at the bar) is great but..

it doesn't do you much good if you don't know what to do with the information. So here's what you can do with the information:

1. Ask ICly at the bar - "Hey, looking for that Chosen Lord Blimpie Negean, I heard he's hiring doodads and I reckon I'd like to talk to him about the opportunity." (or however you think your character would ask about what you read on the tavern board)
2. If good ole Blimpie is at the bar, ask him yourself.
3. Try to find out who else works for Blimpie and ask them to send a message, or hook you up with whoever's authorized to do the hiring.
4. Put your contact/psi skills to use. Syntax: contact blimpie and if you succeed, the syntax is - psi Yo yo yo sup in da hood dis here be Diskmaster Z I hear you be hookin up bitches for jobs and I can "job" for real (or however your character would approach a fancy noble whose bloodline is superior to yours).

Protip: Remember punctuation and capitalization!

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Volgro on February 16, 2014, 03:34:42 PM
I've seen some recruiting messages on the board but some seem dating back to as far as June is there a way to know if a job offer is outdated or not?

This is quite frustrating.  The IC discussion board doesn't always get a lot of attention, so some job posts there may be quite outdated.  If you're looking for work, your best bet is to hang around a tavern and communicate with other patrons.  People are usually pretty good about referring you to people who are hiring, especially if you come across as new to the MUD.  If, hypothetically, your character is driven to thievery, I wouldn't advertise that openly.  If you're patient, you will wiggle yourself into an appropriate niche to improve your skills without having to be overt about them.

Welcome!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Volgro on February 16, 2014, 03:34:42 PM
Greetings everyone,

My Character just got accepted, and I jumped straight in the game.  ;D
First I was afraid to die within the first hour but I kept low profile wandering the streets of Tuluk. Sure I got lost Twice but the very helpful "Directions" Command came in hand (and the notepad of mudlet for sure).
I finished my day at the Tavern and had my first experience with Roleplay and while I was going back and forth from the emote helpfiles to the conversations  I must say it was all fun !!! And I'm very eager to discover what Arm has to offer!

Now that I am part of the adventure I have some questions :

Is there a way to have different colors for different text types on mudlet as I used to have with other MUDS ?

And Since I am playing a young human forced to thievery for survival reasons is there a way to meet a IG professional theif so he can help me master my "craft ?

Anyway I can't express how excited  I am about this whole adventure and hope for the best for all for you :D

Welcome!

"Different colors for different text types like on other MUDs" -- I'm guessing you mean color room desc, room title, people, mobs, etc....that is not built into the engine for Armageddon. BUT, I mean, you have a computer, so you can technically do anything. Through a good bit of scripting, you can make the MUD appear however you want it to, even with health bars and whatever else...but, none of that is provided, no.

As far as recruiting messages, I have a bit of a personal guideline for this that I've just made up. You can see the real life dates of the messages when you look at the board. Anything older than 2 weeks or so I don't bother responding to. I try to find interesting stuff that has only been up for a few days, that way you can be pretty positive that it's still going on. If you are looking for employment, chances are a Noble house or something that sends out that they are hiring will be hiring for a bit, so go ahead and give them a shout. Another rule on this is if a message is more than like a month old or something, chances are pretty good the person who wrote it isn't even alive anymore  ;D -- but as people before me have said, hang out in a tavern and ask about certain types of employment. The North and South both handle employment quite differently, so you'll have kind of a different experience depending on where you are.
If you are a combat-capable character (basically not a merchant) and you have no ideas in your noggin you can just join the Tzai Byn if you are in the south. When they are active, they are a lot of fun.

As to your last question: yes! You can meet an IG professional thief. However, think about this. An IG professional thief is not going to tell you he's a thief, one, and they are probably going to either try not to be seen or they are going to be doing something completely innocent when you DO see them, like strolling through the street during the day or sitting at a bar. How are you picking out who you're meeting? There are places where you for sure can come across someone who is a thief or a killer of some kind...but you don't want to be found there unless you've already built some repertoire, most likely. So my advice on this would be something like so: Keep a sharp eye out for "employment opportunities" or the like in places that are not plainly stated, or try to befriend some people (in safe places) that you have reason to believe are into shady business. Once you build some contacts and observe for a while, you might eventually start seeing some things! Keep practicing on your own, roleplaying it out, and SEND IN PLAYER REPORTS--Staff will be able to give you some direction on how to continue.

You might stumble upon some really great apprenticeship, or you might end up mastering it on your own before you meet someone. You might get caught up in the biggest heist yet, who knows :) I have learned that without taking a little bit of risk, the character usually doesn't pay off. If you want to do something like get involved in a criminal organization, you're going to have to stick your neck out a little bit. But be smart about it, if you want to keep your head.

Pasted is a mudlet tutorial picture I made for you to try and show you how to make custom highlights for Armageddon.

To see full sized, right click the image and choose "view in new tab" or to view image.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on February 16, 2014, 08:56:00 PM
Pasted is a mudlet tutorial picture I made for you to try and show you how to make custom highlights for Armageddon.

To see full sized, right click the image and choose "view in new tab" or to view image.
Oh christ man this just solved so many problems for me as well, thank you.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Whenever your dude gets eaten or otherwise horribly killed, like fleeing from a turtle like monster up a cliff only to knock yourself out and be eaten by said turtle monster, remember that there's also Allanak, which can be a great place for newbies, though it's way more inhospitable (quite deadly, really) in terms of the outlying environs.

Sincerest apologies for the small disrail here.

Quote from: Harmless on February 16, 2014, 08:56:00 PM

This was really helpful, but I'm having a small problem and I was wondering if you could assist with it?

My room exits appear as so:

An Example Room [E]
The description blahblah blah blah
This room is a description blah blah
There is a dude standing here, looking winded.

Your prompt: 100/200, 100/100, 100/100 >

When I try to make the exit highlight, I use the following regex trigger:

[(.*)]

However, what this results in is not the E highlighting, but instead any and all parentheses highlighting.
Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Also, any suggestions for, say, highlighting all sdescs for people (pcs or otherwise)? Is that even doable?

February 16, 2014, 10:39:44 PM #11 Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:47:32 PM by Harmless
Hm. well, here's a more specific match for room exits that Kaineus provided to me:

(\[)([N|S|W|E|U|D|Leave|Quit|Save|,| ]+)(\])

put that shits up in the string and see if it works!

Yep.

I also kind of like putting a light blue color (with the default background) on any text in parenthesis. The result is quite cool. Skills are listed in color, and hemotes look all blue and sneaky.

The string to match I think would just end up being ((.*)), but I haven't tested it.

Since parentheses are special characters, you may need to normalize the ones inside the first, lest they be counted and reset also: (\(.*\))
If you don't want the parentheses themselves to highlight, just the text inside: \((.*)\)

Line: The sexiest stud, studdily muffin is standing here.

Trigger: ^\w+ is standing here\.$

Then check the HIGHLIGHT button and pick your poison.

Just one example to share.

Wanna highlight whatever people's be sayin'? Sure!

Line: The sexiest stud, studdily muffin saids in northern-accented sirihish:
             "Yo can't touch dis."

Trigger: \".+?\"$

Then check the HIGHLIGHT button and pick your other poison.

Hopefully that works and is correct.

Thank you all for your answers :)

My mudlet is now all colourfull and ready for action :D