Tuluki Population

Started by Desertman, February 04, 2014, 05:32:01 PM

February 05, 2014, 12:17:44 PM #50 Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:20:22 PM by Voular
Quote from: Nyr on February 05, 2014, 09:25:16 AM
What is it that you find intimidating about Tuluk?  What makes you hesitant?

I have played in Tuluk, Nyr. Albeit obviously a lot less since my 100 playdayish characters have mostly been centered around Allanak. Tuluk has given me as a GMT based player an empty city, a death by nooblar, stranded as a bynner.. and so-so experiences. And frankly recently it's OOC reputation is off-putting. And I once brought up my desire to play in Tuluk with a former player to garner ideas for some application - they immediately fired back with the "you can't handle x or y role there" and gave me the superior attitude because I was a known Allanaki player.

And for crying out loud, can no one see a fault with a setting that has been 'controversial' since I joined the forum? And a location in the game which has lead to more players 'playing it wrong' than any other? (How many nobles have you force stored?) There is a no way there are more people who would be serious about closing down Allanak rather than Tuluk for example. And you can't give me the players are bad game designers argument, because most staff are former players.

No doubt there are players who don't understand why Allanak continually has gotten less love from staff, but more from players. It's rooms are comperatively out-dated, it's shops are sparser, it has less staffers on its team (and hasn't a fixed all-mighty Nyr) and so on. I feel like Tuluk is on life-support from staff, all events happened to it are forced from your side - major political changes, geographical. While the south only has a volcano and some riots - no major political upheaval of social norms or systems. (How much staff effort has gone in to both cities in comparison for the nobles governing. You shut down the Allanaki senate over five years ago.)

These are just the reasons on top of my head why I picked Allanak over Tuluk this time around. However, my next planned concept is actually a Tuluki. It isn't to say I won't play a Tuluki ever. But you asked.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Quote from: Voular on February 05, 2014, 12:17:44 PM
What is it that you find intimidating about Tuluk?  What makes you hesitant?

I have played in Tuluk, Nyr. Albeit obviously a lot less since my 100 playdayish characters have mostly been centered around Allanak. Tuluk has given me as a GMT based player an empty city, a death by nooblar, stranded as a bynner.. and so-so experiences. And frankly recently it's OOC reputation is off-putting. And I once brought up my desire to play in Tuluk with a former player to garner ideas for some application - they immediately fired back with the "you can't handle x or y role there" and gave me the superior attitude because I was a known Allanaki player.

Your mistake here seems to be giving a shit about what a former player thinks of the game when the opinion they're offering is non-constructive. Unless you mean you tried to get some advice when they were a player... in which case you're going off of one Tuluk player to generalize about the type of person who plays in Tuluk.

I played in Tuluk. I like Tuluk. I try to say to a player struggling in Tuluk that Tuluk is a little different from Allanak, that you have to adjust and get involved a bit more in order to see a bigger picture. The response is that they want to play in Tuluk exactly like they play in Allanak without a whole lot of adjustment or that they want to have the freedom of being an indie with the view into the back-rooms that a moderately-established partisan or employee would have. It's just not that easy. It's a little more of a challenge, it takes a little more of a time investment. It takes some patience. But it is possible to have lots of fun in Tuluk and to have fun for a long time.

With regards to favoritism, many of the changes in Tuluk over the past few years were player-initiated. The rest of the changes were staff-initiated. When I look at Tuluk I don't see a city that's on life-support, I see something that's dynamic and changes usually with player actions, sometimes with some leading-on from staff and sometimes not, but usually with their help to put in the coded changes.

What is it that you find intimidating about Tuluk?  What makes you hesitant?

I have played in Tuluk, Nyr. Albeit obviously a lot less since my 100 playdayish characters have mostly been centered around Allanak.

But have you played a Tuluki?  I mean, it's a bit of a rhetorical question, I do know what you've played, but I'm making a point here.  If you plan to snipe at how bad it is yet you've really only played a single Tuluki...for a week...maybe it's not that bad!

QuoteTuluk has given me as a GMT based player an empty city, a death by nooblar, stranded as a bynner.. and so-so experiences. And frankly recently it's OOC reputation is off-putting. And I once brought up my desire to play in Tuluk with a former player to garner ideas for some application - they immediately fired back with the "you can't handle x or y role there" and gave me the superior attitude because I was a known Allanaki player.

What about its OOC reputation is off-putting?  I'm sorry the other player told you that you couldn't handle Tuluk.  They sound like a douche.  Give 'em the bird next time; you're an intelligent person and you can handle roleplaying.

QuoteAnd for crying out loud, can no one see a fault with a setting that has been 'controversial' since I joined the forum?

You can see a fault with it, you're doing it right here.  I gather that you do not like it.

QuoteAnd a location in the game which has lead to more players 'playing it wrong' than any other?

Has it?  Maybe.  Not really sure if there's a way to determine metrics on that, people correct roleplay on a regular basis in most cases, right?

Quote(How many nobles have you force stored?)

...two?  Ever?

QuoteThere is a no way there are more people who would be serious about closing down Allanak rather than Tuluk for example. And you can't give me the players are bad game designers argument, because most staff are former players.

What relevance does this have?  I get that you like Allanak more than Tuluk, but this argument is fairly irrelevant.

QuoteNo doubt there are players who don't understand why Allanak continually has gotten less love from staff, but more from players.

Because why fix what isn't broken?  There is work to do but nothing on the scale of building a foundation of documentation for an entire city-state.  The only reason it hasn't been done to this extent til now is because it took a shit-ton of work to plan an HRPT to do enough "damage" to result in an upheaval.

QuoteIt's rooms are comperatively out-datted

I think they've had more building work in the past year than Tuluk has.  Labyrinth revamp, temples, etc. 

, it's shops are sparses,

Again, it works, why 'fix' it?

Quoteit has less staffers on its team

More often than not, we've rolled with 1 administrator and 1 storyteller.  Whether that be due to IRL stuff with the other ST or whatnot, we have actually been somewhat shorthanded even though we've had 1 admin + 2 storytellers on paper.  We only recently got another storyteller within the past month.  Allanak has an admin and two storytellers.  They've also been shorthanded at times (on paper).

Having fewer staffers doesn't mean it's the "shit" team. It means that there are things that go on beyond the scope of game work, like RL schedules for staffers and the like!

QuoteI feel like Tuluk is on life-support from staff, all events happened to it are forced from your side - major political changes, geographical.

Well, we brought in spy roles with the opportunity existent for any of them to be caught, a role specifically meant to die in the HRPT (which did), and yes, we've been pushing some staff-side plots.  Somehow that means Tuluk is on life-support, I guess.  Life-support has been upgraded since I last heard about it.  If we're going to do a full sweep of things, we may as well try to involve players, and that is what we did at every step of the way.

QuoteWhile the south only has a volcano and some riots - no major political upheaval of social norms or systems. (How much staff effort has gone in to both cities in comparison for the nobles governing. You shut down the Allanaki senate over five years ago.)

Again, why fix what isn't broken?  You point out here how much you hate Tuluk and how much it is intimidating and how it sucks and what-not, I point out that we're actually working to collect things, expand docs, etc--make it make sense, have a foundation, etc--and then you're saying "well obviously Allanak is getting the short end of the stick!"  There have been no major pushes to change Allanak because Allanak works fairly well on its own.  It can use some love (and it has gotten it, not sure how you've missed the building work), but it's more of a tender loving care thing rather than a full frontal lobotomy and colorectal cleanse.

That may come as a shock to some people, I dunno.  We on staff love Allanak.  I've had some great PCs from there and from Luir's, too.  It might need a bit of tweaking here and there, it might need a documentation revamp/overhaul just like every other clan has gotten/will get, but a complete "from the ground up" workover that requires stripping out stuff that simply sucks ass?  It doesn't need that. 

We on staff also tend to...tolerate...Tuluk.  Even when we're putting through these changes and stuff, we have to (at times) grab the reins and yank the player towards "THIS IS HOW THINGS ARE NOW."  It is frustrating to have to do that.  There are parts we like.  There are parts that need work.  And there are parts that raised enough ire over enough time that it resulted in an HRPT as the only plot-sized vehicle that could effect that much change.  As someone invested in over ten thousand words of documentation changes in the templarate alone, let me be the first to say that I have mixed opinions about the city-state of Tuluk.  While working on something that absolutely blows that must be fixed, I despise it.  When animating something with the rest of our wonderful team to show the new change, I love it.  When explaining how it could be and how it should be and how it (hopefully) will be with some additional work, I love it as well.  It's the same feeling I've gotten working on fixing stuff in other clans I've handled.

And that's why I wanted to see this thread, anyway.  I may not tell you directly what we're going to do, but the positive (and negative) feedback lets us know what might need tweaking and what is working.

Shut down the Senate?  Honestly, PCs shouldn't be in positions of that much power.  The Senate still exists virtually.  So does the Triumvirate.  PC governors are (at present) in a position of figurehead power for their House.  And we've had trouble with that, because we had to fix it once just to get it to that point, and it still doesn't make much sense...so as you can imagine, it is going to receive some attention.

These are just the reasons on top of my head why I picked Allanak over Tuluk this time around. However, my next planned concept is actually a Tuluki. It isn't to say I won't play a Tuluki ever. But you asked.

So what is it that intimidates you about Tuluk or makes you hesitant?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 05, 2014, 10:10:38 AM
I reiterate. Make Sujaal's Museum the new Byn for Tuluk. There. That problem's solved.:-D

I've tried to do this across MULTIPLE PCs, to no avail.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Nyr on February 05, 2014, 11:59:43 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on February 05, 2014, 10:57:41 AM
My two sids:

I enjoyed Tuluk more when the Warrens were perceived as seedier than they are perceived. I also enjoyed Tuluk more when the Lirathans were Lirathans, but left the Heart more often to interact visibly with the playerbase. I also enjoyed Tuluk MUCH more when the UnderTuluk existed, because it was "the bogeyman" of Tuluk. On a world-reaching level, Allanak is the enemy. No doubt about that, I'm cool with it. But on a day-to-day level, what is Tuluk's antagonist? What is the antagonist that the players know, that their characters know, that they can roleplay out, in the open and in public? Nothing.

A rival House.  A rival bard.  A rival anything.  Or we can go with the really easy answer that requires no work:  nothing.  There are no antagonists.

QuoteYou can't talk about oppression, even though you're surely being oppressed. You can't talk about magicks, you can't talk about assassinations, you can't talk about - well - pretty much anything significant. So bar talk ends up being totally meaningless idle chitchat and veiled innuendo that seems more like "inside jokes" to anyone who isn't in on it, creating resentment and disinterest on an OOC level as well as an IC level.

This has been brought up already as something to address; if you have something new to add, can you discuss it perhaps with that in mind?

QuoteI would love to see the ugly underbelly rise JUST enough to make sure everyone is aware that it exists, while keeping it ugly, and keeping it the underbelly. Not sanctioning it like they did with the Shadow Artists.

*waves hand*

"They" are right over here; "they" requested this thread.

Hi, Nyr here, I play an administrator in Tuluk but you might know me by other roles in the past. 

The shadow artists were always "sanctioned" whatever, even back when you nostalgically loved (or say that you loved) the city.  And even then they aren't the underbelly.

QuoteAdd a new section to the Warrens that isn't pretty and filled with lovely statues and NPCs who make gorgeous crafted things or whatever else, that is horrifying to those who don't live there - and is probably scary to those who do live there. I don't mean just on an IC level. I mean new players, and players new to the area - the *players* should have a gut-dropping experience, if they mistakenly or purposefully wandered in. Just like you have in the Rinth, and just like a rinthi would have if he's from the east side daring to cross to the west, and vice versa, just like anyone -rinthi or otherwise - would have, venturing into the sewers, just like anyone, resident or not, would have crossing into the depths of mantis territory.

The Warrens is by lore and documentation where 75% of the city lives; unless you're suggesting it should be a cesspit of squalor equivalent to the 'rinth (which you seem to be doing), it's going to have some gradient between scum and the city-equivalent of middle class.  Building in some more stuff there might come up in the future, but this is not a primary goal at this time.

QuoteThere needs to be a place within the city, that is SCARY on an OOC *and* IC level. The only places right now that I know of like that, are restricted access and they're only scary because a soldier subdued you and dragged you there, or a Templar invited you to walk with them there.

Now, on that note, we sort of have something like that in mind.  It's probably not what you are thinking, but hopefully it will come across in an interesting way.

QuoteSummary:

Scary location within the city needed. Place where mothers tell their kids the bogeyman will come out from and drag them to if they misbehave.
Templars need to be more *visibly* active to the entirety of the northern playerbase, not just to the favored citizens PCs.

Summary from me:  If you had a bad experience in Tuluk and are only now voicing your concerns about it when you did nothing of the sort while playing there, you haven't done much to help review the problem as it was ongoing.  Sure, you've pointed it out now, and that helps, but it's far more frustrating than being able to address something as it occurs.

We - are the players who started the thread and are the majority of people posting in it. If I had said "you," the majority of posters would've wondered which "you" I was talking about. I didn't think I needed to clarify that. My post was an opinion, not a direct response to anything you said or asked (you, being Nyr, who I see is right over there and by the way your pinky has a hangnail). This thread was started by Desertman, for us to express our ideas/suggestions for an increased playerbase in Tuluk. Regardless of who asked for the thread - in another thread. So "we" are the primary posters in this thread. "They" are the staff as a whole, of which you (Nyr) are only one.

Shadow artists didn't get their own official docs readily available to all players, before. Their existence a thing of mystery, IC and OOC.  In other words, we players knew they existed, but had no idea they were a cohesive unit, working with specific restrictions/rules/regs/privileges, and knowing exactly what those rules/regs/restrictions/privileges are. Like - the Guild. Everyone knows the Guild exists. Everyone knows they're criminals. But not everyone knows what, precisely, they do - and how they're set up. That's part of what makes them nifty, interesting, attractive. That aspect of Shadow Artists no longer exists. I feel this created less interest rather than more, in the idea of playing in Tuluk as a whole.

No, the Warrens weren't completely filled with squalor but it does have its areas, and those areas used to have more of an impact on Tuluk play than it does now. Some of the room descriptions are the same as they used to be - and some of the NPCs are the same. They hint at how SOME of Warrens RP used to be. It is one example of some of the things that used to make Tuluk more interesting and attractive, that no longer exists. It's why I brought it up. Some areas of the Warrens could be made to host some of the kind of atmosphere I'm talking about. Not the whole Warrens.

Your comment about my asking what Tuluk's day-to-day antagonist doesn't even address the question. It addresses a question I wouldn't have asked, because it doesn't need to be asked. I'm not asking what any one individual's antagonist would be. Or what any one House's antagonist would be. I already specified down the post, which you have reminded me has also already been addressed, and suggested to me that it might not be addressed in the manner to which I am hoping.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I find Tuluk intimidating for many reasons... One only need hear about all of one's PCs friends, over multiple PCs, who you know from observing their characters have no particular loyalty to any city-state being disappeared over time. You eventually piece these things together over a distance IG and it makes you wonder, is this really the kind of environment I want to play in? I like to play wild, unpredictable poo stirrers, and I can't help but feel they will be eliminated quite quickly before any fun can be had. Then again, I'm biased because I never roll up a character in Tuluk these days, it's a vicious cycle. I do like the setting and all, and would like to explore more of it, but with the way I play I really do not think it will be a good fit. Undoubtedly the wildlife is very well suited to being able to skill up combat skills without a sparring partner, unlike Allanak where the first scrab you see will quite possibly immediately pinch your head off, or the second, or the third. So, Tuluk has a bit of draw to it, but the element of the law, and my obviously flawed perception of the culture of keeping things hush-hush forever, keep me from playing there. Kind of like the small-talk-only policy of Red Storm, or the lack of storage lockers in Luir's Outpost, though these things are hardly the same thing, they are things that simply do not appeal to me. So I guess my choices are Allanak or Luir's, really, because anywhere else seems rife with difficulty for me.

All that said, I haven't really done anything but admit my own ignorance, move along people, nothing to see here.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Lizzie on February 05, 2014, 12:59:04 PM
Shadow artists didn't get their own official docs readily available to all players, before. Their existence a thing of mystery, IC and OOC.  In other words, we players knew they existed, but had no idea they were a cohesive unit, working with specific restrictions/rules/regs/privileges, and knowing exactly what those rules/regs/restrictions/privileges are. Like - the Guild. Everyone knows the Guild exists. Everyone knows they're criminals. But not everyone knows what, precisely, they do - and how they're set up. That's part of what makes them nifty, interesting, attractive. That aspect of Shadow Artists no longer exists. I feel this created less interest rather than more, in the idea of playing in Tuluk as a whole.

Here's what the shadow artist docs said before:

Quotehey guys if you are a thief or an assassin get a tattoo and then you can kill and steal from people

much mystery
very secretive
such clearness

QuoteNo, the Warrens weren't completely filled with squalor but it does have its areas, and those areas used to have more of an impact on Tuluk play than it does now. Some of the room descriptions are the same as they used to be - and some of the NPCs are the same. They hint at how SOME of Warrens RP used to be. It is one example of some of the things that used to make Tuluk more interesting and attractive, that no longer exists. It's why I brought it up. Some areas of the Warrens could be made to host some of the kind of atmosphere I'm talking about. Not the whole Warrens.

Good, then we're on the same page.

Your comment about my asking what Tuluk's day-to-day antagonist doesn't even address the question. It addresses a question I wouldn't have asked, because it doesn't need to be asked. I'm not asking what any one individual's antagonist would be. Or what any one House's antagonist would be. I already specified down the post, which you have reminded me has also already been addressed, and suggested to me that it might not be addressed in the manner to which I am hoping.

Okay.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 05, 2014, 01:00:53 PMUndoubtedly the wildlife is very well suited to being able to skill up combat skills without a sparring partner, unlike Allanak where the first scrab you see will quite possibly immediately pinch your head off, or the second, or the third. So, Tuluk has a bit of draw to it

You.  I like you.

For the record, there's official crime in Tuluk and there's unofficial crime in Tuluk.

We'll be making the latter more apparent in the future; fixing the official stuff was first in the list.

It's just not fun from the experience of an outsider. People watch you in silence. Maybe they make some subtle insults. Your character is quietly shunned, so why stay around when you can just go off somewhere and have more fun.

I think the real problem is I have scoured the markets and taverns in search of tea and found it lacking. I think there's more tea in Allanak!

Then again, perhaps when I get the chance I should look a little closer.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on February 05, 2014, 01:17:12 PM
It's just not fun from the experience of an outsider. People watch you in silence. Maybe they make some subtle insults. Your character is quietly shunned, so why stay around when you can just go off somewhere and have more fun.

Good feedback, this is actually something we want to address more readily in final part of the revamp.  The whole "subtle" thing is a bit overdone sometimes.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 05, 2014, 01:00:53 PM
I find Tuluk intimidating for many reasons... One only need hear about all of one's PCs friends, over multiple PCs, who you know from observing their characters have no particular loyalty to any city-state being disappeared over time. You eventually piece these things together over a distance IG and it makes you wonder, is this really the kind of environment I want to play in? I like to play wild, unpredictable poo stirrers, and I can't help but feel they will be eliminated quite quickly before any fun can be had. Then again, I'm biased because I never roll up a character in Tuluk these days, it's a vicious cycle. I do like the setting and all, and would like to explore more of it, but with the way I play I really do not think it will be a good fit. Undoubtedly the wildlife is very well suited to being able to skill up combat skills without a sparring partner, unlike Allanak where the first scrab you see will quite possibly immediately pinch your head off, or the second, or the third. So, Tuluk has a bit of draw to it, but the element of the law, and my obviously flawed perception of the culture of keeping things hush-hush forever, keep me from playing there. Kind of like the small-talk-only policy of Red Storm, or the lack of storage lockers in Luir's Outpost, though these things are hardly the same thing, they are things that simply do not appeal to me. So I guess my choices are Allanak or Luir's, really, because anywhere else seems rife with difficulty for me.

All that said, I haven't really done anything but admit my own ignorance, move along people, nothing to see here.

Another reason I'm really getting ticked off with playing in Tuluk. But I really don't like Allanak. Its put me in the place of the least of the two evils basically. There are several PCs who disappear and some of them aren't even for IG reasons. A lot of them are do to OOC conflicts that the players have had with staff. I enjoy Tuluk. I enjoy the environment. I love the mystery and the intrigue as well as the deep and rich culture. The bards, the music. The lack of dead bodies stacked up in the streets. The friendliness of the Chosen. The fear of the Faithful. The closeness to the Grey. So I chose this Tuluk over Allanak.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 05, 2014, 01:25:32 PM
I think the real problem is I have scoured the markets and taverns in search of tea and found it lacking. I think there's more tea in Allanak!

Then again, perhaps when I get the chance I should look a little closer.

Lacking in tea? Just go pick some plants and make your own tea... Hmmm tea.......
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Nyr on February 05, 2014, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 05, 2014, 01:00:53 PMUndoubtedly the wildlife is very well suited to being able to skill up combat skills without a sparring partner, unlike Allanak where the first scrab you see will quite possibly immediately pinch your head off, or the second, or the third. So, Tuluk has a bit of draw to it

You.  I like you.

Yes, I am a shameless twink. It's what I do when I'm not busy stirring shit. I'm just horribly bad at both of them, but I much prefer the latter.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 05, 2014, 01:31:52 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on February 05, 2014, 01:00:53 PM

Another reason I'm really getting ticked off with playing in Tuluk. But I really don't like Allanak. Its put me in the place of the least of the two evils basically. There are several PCs who disappear and some of them aren't even for IG reasons. A lot of them are do to OOC conflicts that the players have had with staff. I enjoy Tuluk. I enjoy the environment. I love the mystery and the intrigue as well as the deep and rich culture. The bards, the music. The lack of dead bodies stacked up in the streets. The friendliness of the Chosen. The fear of the Faithful. The closeness to the Grey. So I chose this Tuluk over Allanak.

The share of PC deaths by disappearance is probably (I don't have access to any data if there even is any) rather small compared to other causes (hunting, stupid mistakes, murder, exploring etc). Deaths by disappearance lacking visible IG causes are surely even fewer. Any sponsored role regardless of location is fated to have a short career if they kill indiscriminately without being able to back it up with IG reasons and motives. Knowing that you could get disappeared (or the target of a legal assassination contract) if you stepped on the wrong toes has been adding to my own Tuluk experience over several past characters who were both citizens and non-citizens.

Thinking that PCs get killed over OOC conflicts with staff won't help making your Arm experience any better, to be honest with ya.

Oh, just saw this one:

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 05, 2014, 01:31:52 PMThere are several PCs who disappear and some of them aren't even for IG reasons. A lot of them are do to OOC conflicts that the players have had with staff.

...what?  A lot of them?  Really?

I wish the Warrens had more emphasis. It seems like few people want to play ugly or mutie warrens spawn. My last PC there I had fun with because I made them extremely Warrens and not at all attractive but got them into the Legions where you had to pretend to be nice anyway. Too many beatiful people.

Would just like to say.

I'm a die-hard Allanak fan.  Big time.

I am currently playing in Tuluk.  Currently, I do -not- think a lot of these problems exist.  You guys are being overanalytical.  There is currently a downswing in population, which will rise again, as it tends to do.  But mostly...the things I found subpar about Tuluk are either gone or fading, and things are still different from Allanak, but intriguing.  Maybe it's new things for me to explore, culturally, or maybe it really is just that much better.

But I think this thread is wrong.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

From an OOC perspective, the city is very large.  I have had new players complain to me in the helper chat on multiple occasions about how long it takes to get from one place to another.  From the cotton fields, to the Warrens, to the Poet's Circle...it is humongous.  Not sure what could be done about that - just an observation.

When new players come to me and ask where I recommend they play, I say either Allanak or Tuluk.  We discuss the pros and cons of each, but one of the "pros" of Tuluk is that it is much easier to survive there.  A lot of new players find that appealing and make Tuluk their choice.  So I'm pointing new players towards Tuluk all the time.  These new players may not feel confident enough in the nuances and storytelling nature of the game to break out of the standard "brainwashed Muk Utep smiler" role that seems to be the "default" personality of Tuluk.  And that's not a role that's very conducive towards murder, corruption, and betrayal - it would make Muk Utep sad.  Tuluk could use more grit. Nice to hear staff say they're working on that.

That's not to say new accounts aren't choosing Allanak as much - I think it likely that they're choosing Allanak just as much, if not more.  Nyr would know for sure. But like I said - one of the appeals of Tuluk to new players is how easy it is to survive there, so you'll have more new players starting in Tuluk who have a mindset of "I want to live!" rather than "I want action!"
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

From an OOC perspective, I agree.  Pretty big area.  I never even got to see it before it was this big (that's what she said?).  Hopefully, the "directions" addition will help players new (and old) alike with finding stuff, though that won't affect the size of the place.

But have you played a Tuluki?  I mean, it's a bit of a rhetorical question, I do know what you've played, but I'm making a point here.  If you plan to snipe at how bad it is yet you've really only played a single Tuluki...for a week...maybe it's not that bad!

I am not sniping, dude. Sniping would imply I was being underhanded or malicious. I posted in this thread, right at you.

What about its OOC reputation is off-putting?

As my whole post pointed out - it's players and its staff. Guarded, reserved, unwelcoming. That is the reputation - I am not saying at all that it is that way in reality. (Since I havn't played in Tuluk in a while.)

What relevance does this have? [Closing down Tuluk vs. Allanak]  I get that you like Allanak more than Tuluk, but this argument is fairly irrelevant.

No. If a majority of players prefer Allanak, and more resources are wasted on Tuluk - you don't see the problem? You admited yourself, Allanak isn't broken - needs less maintence and has a larger playerbase. Am I stuttering here?

Shut down the Senate?  Honestly, PCs shouldn't be in positions of that much power.  The Senate still exists virtually.  So does the Triumvirate.  PC governors are (at present) in a position of figurehead power for their House.  And we've had trouble with that, because we had to fix it once just to get it to that point, and it still doesn't make much sense...so as you can imagine, it is going to receive some attention.

But you could still load up the senate floor every other month, put on a show for all the noble house employees and nobles - give them an insight and rumormill for what is going on behind the scene. Expand the world to something larger. I am sure it wouldn't take you long to write up a script for a senate floor hearing? Have a few staffers man some NPCs and act it all out. Giving everyone who watched the senate meeting something to gossip and angle about. Fuck, it's a god damn excellent idea. Houses would take the public senate days to air out certain shit they want to be gossiped about and so on..

Also hinting at who I play, Nyr, even subtley - ain't cool.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

No doubt there are players who don't understand why Allanak continually has gotten less love from staff, but more from players. It's rooms are comperatively out-dated, it's shops are sparser, it has less staffers on its team (and hasn't a fixed all-mighty Nyr) and so on.

If there is any real problem with any rooms/shops/whatever in Allanak, you could always typo it/submit a request about it.

I'm one of the new players that choose to play in Tuluk for the chance to survive a bit longer while I learned to play the game. In the time I've been playing, I've seen a fair few players die to the harsh environments around them, to plots they might have no idea they were a part of, to mistakes they made while hunting, to just about any reason you could come up with.

Not everyone is a happy smiley, Muk Utep brainwashed fluff bunny. If you take the time to invest rp into getting to know the people around you, then you'd be surprised at how different it can be compared to what people are saying in this thread.

There is a population downswing in Tuluk, even from when I started playing not too long ago. I'd like to think with incoming changes, and moving on past the busy Holiday season, that this will start to pick back up.

Tuluk is not Allanak, it never will be. However, Tuluk has the potential to be every single bit as dynamic and gritty as Allanak. It's what you, the player, make it, that effects exactly what type of experience you'll have.

Quote from: Voular on February 05, 2014, 02:30:51 PM

What about its OOC reputation is off-putting?

As my whole post pointed out - it's players and its staff. Guarded, reserved, unwelcoming. That is the reputation - I am not saying at all that it is that way in reality. (Since I havn't played in Tuluk in a while.)

Is it possible you were being overt and not subtle? I remember, before I really understood how not to act like a damn Allanaki as a Tuluki citizen, that people would often give me that exact treatment and wish to god I would figure it out soon. Of course, this is the current era of Way Too Subtle I'm speaking of, so if that is your problem, prepare for remedy!