I need a niche

Started by Derain, January 15, 2014, 01:03:39 PM

I am looking for someplace to play and I prefer south give me your BRAINS I mean ideas. I am a bit burnt out.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Take that guys Red Storm role call.

+1 to taking a role call, or make a celf family role call maybe? If you're into that.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

You are going to play a southern cotton smuggler.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Rock that new origin addition, be a Rinthi in the North.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: Desertman on January 15, 2014, 02:44:31 PM
You are going to play a southern cotton smuggler.

And when people ask you what you do...

"Erry day I'm smugglin'."

I think the southern cotton smuggler role is currently occupied. By dman.

Quote from: Harmless on January 15, 2014, 04:03:04 PM
I think the southern cotton smuggler role is currently occupied. By dman.

I won't lie, the more I think about it...so much fun to be had.

I would actually suggest a not-niche - if you're burned out, jumping into a very specific role can leave you disappointed if aspects of the game's environment (like clans/areas of the game/particular cities) is not active enough or doesn't have a lot of players at the moment. If you like the south, I would suggest just rolling some PC in Allanak with a general background and a guild/subguild with a broad set of skills that will leave you open to whatever opportunities you happen to encounter or make for yourself. You can also play with the new origin system in chargen to make a character who starts in Allanak but is from somewhere else, but of course this might make it more difficult to get into city-related clans and plots. Good luck!

Welcome back, Derain! <3
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Maybe play a flavor role with a short life expectancy?

Southern gladiator, dwarf with mek hunting focus, silt sea skimmer's mate, magicker with public manifestation in Tuluk, kleptomaniac, etc.

It will let you get into the action fast without having to think too hard, get you more excited to play a more in depth character, and maybe make some realistic setting fun for other players as well!
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Short life expectancy is my specialty. Hmm thanks for the ideas guys.

January 16, 2014, 03:42:33 PM #13 Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:44:09 PM by Desertman
Watch Leon The Professional three times back to back.

Then write yourself up an assassin in Tuluk.

(Also, I just noticed this, but, Bruce Willis from The Jackal?)

Speedplay to assassinate muk utep in <5 days played :p

Quote from: Harmless on January 16, 2014, 04:06:17 PM
Speedplay to assassinate muk utep in <5 days played :p

This also sounds like a crazy amount of short-lived fun.

I would suggest, if you want to fill a niche/void the gdb seems to think is there?

City elfs in all the lands. Apparently, mysteriously, all the city elfs went extincted.

According to the GDB.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Hermit who is NOT a magicker/psionicit (not even super unmanifested secretly)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Someone who is just a total asinine jackass idiot.

Magic Man, basically, but without the magick/inability to have a nonsuperficial conversation at the bar and with the skill hide because all those people are going to want your ass so bad after you've been Magic Man for four RL days in the same place. I'm thinking a burglar.

And all this messed up shit, this constant breaking into the same apartment over and over just to smear disturbing images on the walls in blue paint, this whispering creepy things into peoples' ears in the tavern or on the street, this slipping of gortok skulls and other weird crap into peoples' inventories, Tuluk for bonus points because some of those people will probably want to be keeping calm about the fact that someone just whispered to them that they dream about being naked every single time they fall asleep and they don't know if they can stop.

Er, yeah. I know that sounds messed up and extremely detailed for something I just whipped up on the spot. And I did. Its not like I've secretly wanted to play this for several weeks or anything like that. Thinking about it on and off, and never really getting around to it.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: i love toilets on January 17, 2014, 06:01:19 AM

Whole bunch of crazy shit

Toilets, this post sooooo makes me want to RP with you.  Don't care who you're playing or what they're doing.  I am feeling sick and this post made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to cough up a lung. 

Sorry for the derail, back on topic.

Rent an apartment with a view of a street, preferably a balcony.  Yell obscenities at everyone that walks by, call them really disgusting things.  For bonus points, throw your own poop at them.  When children go by, shake your cane at them and call them whippersnappers and expose yourself to them.  Try to find friends to rent the apartment next door.

That is by far the best use of a balcony I've ever heard of. +1.

Quote from: Culinary Critic on January 19, 2014, 07:06:40 PM
Quote from: i love toilets on January 17, 2014, 06:01:19 AM

Whole bunch of crazy shit

Toilets, this post sooooo makes me want to RP with you.  Don't care who you're playing or what they're doing.  I am feeling sick and this post made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to cough up a lung. 

Don't get too excited. Sometimes I'm just an ordinary person who doesn't stand out in any way at all and isn't harmful to anybody ;D

And then one day, about a week in, give or take a few days, there's a pair of severed legs from someone I know in my friend's apartment, a pair of blood-drenched boots have been found on the road a few leagues outside the city (might want to wish up for the severed legs), and I won't or can't explain what happened in solo rp in the place I've vanished to because I've been too traumatized and I'm blabbing inanely occasionally and rocking back and forth. Get better slowly, but then there's a point I don't get better from, and it becomes apparent that some level of insanity is there to stay.

Then about the OP's two weeks in, I pack my things up like I'm moving, head to the city with plans in my head to come back after a couple of days, and try to openly assassinate a bitch.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Write down a few ideas that are interesting to you. You can always special app a application form or go for a role posted on the GDB that the staff have announced.

1) Dwarf with the focus to become an elf.
2) Dwarf with the focus to make a suit of human skin.
3) Dwarf with the focus to run naked from Nak to Tuluk in one continuous go.
4) Dwarf with the focus to sew a shell to himself and live as a gurth in the wild.
5) A city elf in Allanak.
6) Sawbones merc who joins the Byn to test out his crude surgery ideas.
7) An obese, bearded elf.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

A nudist with a desire to show everyone how freeing it can be!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Scarecrow on January 27, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
1) Dwarf with the focus to become an elf.
2) Dwarf with the focus to make a suit of human skin.
4) Dwarf with the focus to sew a shell to himself and live as a gurth in the wild.

These make me think of:

Dwarf with the focus to sew a human to an elf to a dwarf to make a Dwarf Cilops.
This also makes me think Dasari would be interested in the experiment. I hope it is not the something Nyr is planning to do with them!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I have an idea just not sure how much time I can devote but I want to be a florist!

Or maybe not.. Im not too sure but I have a couple ideas stewing, just not sure if I want to play.

Southern Bard.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Human coded tribes always need love.

'Rinth always needs bodies.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Human tribal might be ok with my low play times.