January Voting Thread!

Started by Nyr, January 06, 2014, 11:44:10 AM

Making a new thread for January.

Make it your New Year's Resolution (a few days late) to vote every day!

Vote twice per day here:

Tips for remembering to vote twice per day on TMS:
--Do it at the same times each day if possible and make it part of your routine.
--Set a reminder for yourself!

Vote once per day here:

FAQ

Why is voting important?

Voting drives the largest proportion of new players to our game in direct and indirect ways.  Our assumptions backed up by almost a year of data:

1.  Higher positions on TMS directly correlate with a greater amount of clickthroughs.  #1 typically gets 2x to 3x #2 on the list.  #2 typically gets 2x #3 on the list.  Below that it is more volatile.
2.  A greater amount of clickthroughs directly correlates with a greater amount of new players trying the game out from that source.
3.  We indirectly get players due to the position on either voting site due to the effect that a high position has on notoriety.
4.  We have the playerbase size to maintain #2 on TMS and #1 on TMC more times out of the year than not; our ability to keep either position depends on player turnout for voting.

How important is my vote?

Public relations answer:  Your vote is always important!  :)

Math answer:  your vote's importance is affected by our position on TMS and TMC, the lead over the next lowest competitor on the list, and the amount needed to breach the threshold of becoming one position higher on the list.  In other words, right now, your vote is very important!

It's not like we've actually been at high positions before, have we?  Why even give it a try?

For about 5 months straight last year, we were #2 on TMS, usually with voting numbers by the end of the month numbering above 2000.  At current rates we will be ending this month with less than 600 votes, nearly 75% lower than that amount.  For most of last year we were #1 on TMC.  We're able to stay up there.  We should be up there.  Let's do that!

TL; DR?

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

We must also remember that there is a reason all the scragglers are now voting their asses off. We must not let them win.

Do your doodie!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Think it's too cold to vote?

This fox went outside and saw that the vote buttons were covered in almost a foot of snow.

It didn't stop the fox.  It shouldn't stop you.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

What does the Fox say?

#2 on TMC is what the Fox says.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

We are gaining on #1 on TMC. Reachable today!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on January 07, 2014, 07:27:52 AM
We are gaining on #1 on TMC. Reachable today!

22 votes behind. Shame. That was our spot for ... shit, months!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

We are ready to overtake #10.

We're #10!  By the way, we're 8 votes from #9, 9 votes from #8, and 15 from #7.

We're #12 on TMS!  Oh no!

...but we're closer to #7 than we were yesterday!  Only 11 votes from #7.  Get your voting in!

Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

If that doesn't convince you to vote, I don't know what will.

No really guys, do voting.  We're doing terrible lately.  Not even my ego will allow me to believe that we're doing so poorly solely because I took the first half of the month off.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Srsly guys moar voting.

We aren't so behind on TMS that we can't catch up!  If 35 people voted twice each today we'd be back in the top 10.  We had more than 30 people online the last time I was playing so that's totally doable.

We could also get back #1 at TMC no trouble.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Just a reminder: do voting!

I think we should keep up this focus for this month (which isn't much longer), but also work on something else for next month to do a major push.

What about some sort of accountability system for voting?  Like, pledge to vote for the following month as often as you can...then check in each time you've voted?  The amount of people pledging to do so gives us a number to expect and aim for; the visibility of such a thread would remind other players to vote when they see it.

TMC probably will not reset in February, so keep that in mind...

I'm sure we have some coders in the community who could put together a free App that gives an alarm twice a day for when you can vote on Top Mud sites and once for Mud Connecter. Android and iPhone would be great! I know I sometimes forget if I'm away from the game/net so a reminder of my phone would be great where I can vote right from it.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Nyr on January 17, 2014, 08:52:36 AM
I think we should keep up this focus for this month (which isn't much longer), but also work on something else for next month to do a major push.

What about some sort of accountability system for voting?  Like, pledge to vote for the following month as often as you can...then check in each time you've voted?  The amount of people pledging to do so gives us a number to expect and aim for; the visibility of such a thread would remind other players to vote when they see it.

Honestly, I think that having more people post in the reminder thread will help, and anything that accomplishes this will help our numbers.  I think this is for a bunch of reasons, possibly including (1) a lot of times I forget to vote unless I see the thread (maybe this is just me), (2) it leads to mutual encouragement and acknowledgement, and (3) it keeps popping up in your unread threads list and is thus less easy to forget.  This is why I try to post in the thread every time I remember.

Whether this is through an accountability system, or through something else, anything that gets the thread posted in more will probably help.  I realize that correlation isn't causation, but based on my brief and empirical impressions of past months, the most posts we have in the thread, the better we did for the month.

Quote from: Nyr on January 17, 2014, 08:52:36 AM

I would still prefer an optional in game timer that tells me when it's been 12 hours since I last voted with a link that I can just click from in-game :)

Since it would be optional, I really don't see what the con would be..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

You know what Saturday morning is good for?

Voting.  ;D

VOOOOOTTTTEEEEEE! I've been a bit slack lately, and then I saw we were 13th :( We own top 5... lets get there!
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: valeria on January 18, 2014, 10:30:02 AM

A bowl of Cap'n Crunch while watching endless hours of TMNT and Ducktales?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on January 18, 2014, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: valeria on January 18, 2014, 10:30:02 AM

A bowl of Cap'n Crunch while watching endless hours of TMNT and Ducktales?

You, my good sir, are correct.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.