Weather effcting movement?

Started by ChaosXero, January 02, 2014, 07:52:13 PM

Hey, I am new and I have a question reguarding the weather and movement. I can't figure out for the life of me why I can regenerate movement while resting anywhere in the game, However when a storm comes up I can't seem to regenerate stamina. I don't see how a bad sandstorm would prevent me from gaining stamina. I can still breathe, I am still resting/laying down and yet somehow my stamina just stops going up because a sandstorm is blowing. Does this worlds sand have special properties that if inhaled your muscles stay fatigued???? I wouldn't bother with asking if a storm only comes once a month or so, but I have been playing my charecter irl for 10 days and every day storms rage all day long.  I can't do anything because storms rage all day, and when I do try something, my stamina never goes up because some sand is blowing in my face, even though I am resting???

January 02, 2014, 08:01:38 PM #1 Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:03:38 PM by FantasyWriter
You do regenerate in bad weather, but it is at a much slower rate.
I disagree with your assertion that weather should not affect regeneration, but I do see your point.

Here are some useful tips to help your characters survive the wilderness:
1) Use a beast of burden to travel when outdoors. The desert is vast. Just traveling a few rooms can be the equivalent of traveling miles or kilometers on Earth.
2) -Never- run out of stamina. This is the best advice I can give you for ANY type of character who chooses to step out of doors.
   The more you exhaust yourself, the slower you are going to regenerate, just like in real life. I would suggest never getting below 50% of your total move points.
3) Buy a tent. They are expensive, but well worth the investment.
    -As with most high cost items, finding a PC to trade is usually going to be advantageous.
   -Warning: pitching a tent in the vicinity of aggressive animals can be hazardous to your coin purse.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Zalanthan storms arent just 'a little dust'. They are nasty choking sand whipping around you, potentially tearing the clothes from your back. You are breathing and resting in an area that you arent comfortable in nor at bes capacity to breathe. Its not a matter of magickal propertiea, but look up sandstorms on youtube. Then realize some Zalanthan storms are WORSE.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Stamina in general is unrealistic, and trying to apply realism to the concept of regeneration will only cause frustration.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 02, 2014, 08:08:58 PM
Stamina in general is unrealistic, and trying to apply realism to the concept of regeneration will only cause frustration.

Sage, you are.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 02, 2014, 08:08:58 PM

Agreed. Don't try to rationalize it. Stamina works like this to make travel dangerous. Apply some suspension of disbelief and roll with it.

don't roll up in red storm if you don't like storms, that is the absolute worst place to roll up if you don't like storms.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I'd like to see gradual stamina drain and/or HP loss during the worst sandstorms, actually.

You know what would be totally awesome?  Is if between clear vision and blinding storms, there was obscured vision.  We could use that script that makes drawings fade away over time to obfuscate room views during fierce weather.  So neat...

/derail

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 05, 2014, 04:00:26 PM
I'd like to see gradual stamina drain and/or HP loss during the worst sandstorms, actually.

God no.

Actually on second thought, it'd have very little effect, considering there's no point in going out in the worst storms possible anyways because you can't see anything.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 05, 2014, 05:27:35 PM
Actually on second thought, it'd have very little effect, considering there's no point in going out in the worst storms possible anyways because you can't see anything.

I'm with you, gradual stamina/hp loss would seriously make the game far more difficult than it already can be.

I would like for rangers to always be able to see at least one square over, regardless of the weather.

Night would still blind them of course, but I don't think any sandstorm should ever fully blind a ranger so long as it is daytime.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

My point in this is that people do it anyway.  Some one with maxed direction sense can spam walk their way around Red Storm in the worst weather, but this simply shouldn't be possible without other repercussions.  As it stands, too many people (myself included) spend an unreasonable amount of time in terrible weather and we act like it isn't there because we can still see.

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 06, 2014, 12:30:52 PM

My point in this is that people do it anyway.  Some one with maxed direction sense can spam walk their way around Red Storm in the worst weather, but this simply shouldn't be possible without other repercussions.  As it stands, too many people (myself included) spend an unreasonable amount of time in terrible weather and we act like it isn't there because we can still see.

I really don't think direction-sense needs a nerf. If you make storms to hp dmg and stam drain people will spam-run through them even faster.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 06, 2014, 04:04:55 PM
I really don't think direction-sense needs a nerf. If you make storms to hp dmg and stam drain people will spam-run through them even faster.

Nor do I.  But, I do think it's ridiculous that people can codedly stand around in storms that should be peeling their skin off for an indefinite period of time.  You can starve in Arm.  You can dehydrate in arm.  You can even suffocate.  But short of dehydrating, starving, or being eaten by something in a sandstorm, you can't die by one.

I don't want to see this game be unreasonably difficult, but direction-sense spam-walking through a blinding storm to get to/from places like RedStorm shouldn't be as easy as it is.

I don't know where you get the idea that sandstorms should be peeling skin off. Sandstorms don't do that.

I believe the skin peeling is a common exaggeration we see here on the forums.  Why don't we take this to the game's documentation:  Weather Helpfile.

Quote from: ArmageddonMUD Help FilesThe two weather concerns of Zalanthans are the wind and the blowing sand which the wind drives. The wind can sometimes reach up to 90 miles per hour (roughly 150 km/h in real life), building into enormous gales across the flat wastes. When high winds pass over areas such as the Red Desert or the Sea of Eternal Dust, they invariably pick up huge amounts of gritty sand which they carry as mighty storms across the world.

The greater the wind velocity, the greater the chance will be of sandstorms developing. Sandstorms cut down on visibility and can tire even the hardiest traveler in seconds. During the harshest storms one cannot even see one's hand in front of one's face.

The wind itself can blow hot winds from the Salt Flats across the world, raising the temperatures in cities such as Allanak to well above 140 degrees (Fahrenheit, which is roughly 60 degrees Celsius).

Two things may help against these forces of nature: one, that the weather is almost always worse downwind than upwind, and second that the worst conditions can always be found on the lee side of places such as the Red Desert. Careful attention to the winds and weather will assist travelers greatly.

The helpfiles make sandstorms sound like more than the minor inconveniences we sometimes treat them as.  Code-wise, standing in a sandstorm doesn't do anything too you other than make it harder to recover stamina and reduce visibility.  Real life sandstorms can cause asphyxiation and cause long-term long damage to the lungs.  Even blindness.  --per Wikipedia

It's this thought process that has, for years, made me think that sandstorms should be more detrimental to our characters than they currently are.  At the very least, one would expect movement in storms to cost more stamina, per the description in the helpfiles.

You realize how inconvenient storms already are for players, right? Why are you trying to make the game more annoying. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

This thread is a perfect example of why Storms are already annoying enough. There's probably a hundred threads bitching about how annoying storms are.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 06, 2014, 07:18:45 PM
You realize how inconvenient storms already are for players, right? Why are you trying to make the game more annoying. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

This thread is a perfect example of why Storms are already annoying enough. There's probably a hundred threads bitching about how annoying storms are.

I think that being chased across the desert by raptors is pretty annoying.  I think that getting shivved over a pair of half-decent boots while walking around the Labyrinth is annoying.  I think that being krath-struck and catching Scrub Fever is annoying and I also think that being poisoned while picking poisoned plants is annoying.  All of these consequences are reasonable results given the circumstances in which they occur.

In the same light, I believe that being annoying comes with the territory of sandstorms and that their case shouldn't be treated differently than other dangers and inconveniences in the game.  Sandstorms should be reasonably dangerous and walking into one at full force shouldn't be without consequence.  We are playing a harsh, desert roleplaying game...

Why do you want to be running around in nasty sandstorms anyway?

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 06, 2014, 07:45:29 PMWhy do you want to be running around in nasty sandstorms anyway?

Playability.

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 06, 2014, 07:45:29 PMWhy do you want to be running around in nasty sandstorms anyway?

Because if you play anywhere south of Luirs, you'd know it's a god damned sandstorm out 23/7. I'd like to be able to log in and do stuff during those times outside the gates.

January 06, 2014, 10:08:30 PM #22 Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:12:07 PM by Classclown
You shouldn't try to spam walk to Storm in a storm, for various ig reasons and most people have cloaks and things to protect their skin from the actual sand swirling around.

Quote from: Classclown on January 06, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
You shouldn't try to spam walk to Storm in a storm without the proper skills, for various ig reasons and most people have cloaks and things to protect their skin from the actual sand swirling around.

Quote from: evilcabbage on January 06, 2014, 10:12:56 PM
Quote from: Classclown on January 06, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
You shouldn't try to spam walk to Storm in a storm without the proper skills, for various ig reasons and most people have cloaks and things to protect their skin from the actual sand swirling around.

Otherwise you damn well BETTER spam walk to Storm through a storm. Otherwise that beetle that you can't see, but can see you, is going to nom your fucking head off.

Pretty sure fighting in a blinding ass storm where you CAN'T SEE is the equivalent to fighting in the dark, so, -yeah-. I would not want to fight a beetle in the dark OR in a storm.

worth quoting

Quote from: Nyr on September 08, 2008, 11:55:37 AM
Quote from: Desertman on September 05, 2008, 11:01:34 AM
Alrighty, another one for you guys.

How strong are the winds in a Zalanthan sandstorm by category? (How many mph does the wind blow when a sandstorm of the magnitudes listed below is present?)
Pretty strong winds, though strong winds don't necessarily mean there is a sandstorm.  Take that how you will.

Stinging Sands
Terrible Biting
Blinding

We won't be giving out actual numbers (nor have we ever.)  Use a good guess about those to get an idea. 
The more terrible it sounds, the more terrible it likely is.

Also, would a Zalanthan sandstorm have the ability to rend the flesh from one's bones?

When I hear that, the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind--you know, the guy with his face melting off.
Sand is an irritant to skin.  Sand traveling at high speeds can irritate skin more than sand that isn't traveling at high speeds. 
Sure, it could damage eyes, sensitive skin (perhaps abrasions).
Primary components of a sandstorm:  wind, dust/sand.
Secondary dangers:  things that wind can carry (like pieces of wood, bone--people, perhaps, at high wind speeds), blinding effect of no visibility from sand obscuring light, lung damage from high dust intake (which can be protected against to some extent), damage to arable land, etc.
The causes of death and injury from sandstorms appear to be more from secondary complications.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Wait. There's stinging sands, terrible biting, blinding, and then TREMENDOUS OMFG I CAN'T SEEEEEEE

emote.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2