Consent Rules TOS.

Started by Harmless, December 29, 2013, 10:34:22 AM

Should we require players to acknowledge consent rules every now and then, in order to play?

Yes.
19 (28.8%)
No.
47 (71.2%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: January 28, 2014, 10:34:22 AM

Not to argue the point too heavily, as I'm very guilty of not reading them myself. =P

But your typical TOS runs on for pages at a time, ramble along with legal this and that. A consent rules rundown would be much shorter - could perhaps even be a copy-paste of the actual help file on consent. That would put all responsibility on a new player to known and understand the rule, instead of perhaps claiming they're still reading documentation or what not as any sort of excuse if the rule is broken.

Terms of Service might have been a bad comparison to use, due to the length/legal stuff involved, maybe a confirmation of understanding?

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that it'd be better than nothing. Some players who do actually begin reading documentation as they play could potentially miss the consent rules and end up in trouble before they come upon them. If it makes at least one or two players with the potential to become strong members of the community more aware, then it'd probably be worth the effort.

Quote from: Hicksville Hoochie on January 02, 2014, 04:43:40 PM
Not to argue the point too heavily, as I'm very guilty of not reading them myself. =P

But your typical TOS runs on for pages at a time, ramble along with legal this and that. A consent rules rundown would be much shorter - could perhaps even be a copy-paste of the actual help file on consent. That would put all responsibility on a new player to known and understand the rule, instead of perhaps claiming they're still reading documentation or what not as any sort of excuse if the rule is broken.

Terms of Service might have been a bad comparison to use, due to the length/legal stuff involved, maybe a confirmation of understanding?

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that it'd be better than nothing. Some players who do actually begin reading documentation as they play could potentially miss the consent rules and end up in trouble before they come upon them. If it makes at least one or two players with the potential to become strong members of the community more aware, then it'd probably be worth the effort.

I don't think focusing on that one rule, would be helpful to the game. Isolating it from all the other rules just reminds everyone about the subject. The point of ALL of this - is to get everyone to DROP the subject.

When you create your character you agree to the rules. ALL of them. They are ALL available for everyone to read, at any time, from any electronic device, or they're welcome to print it out and wallpaper their bedrooms with them.

There is nothing about this rule that makes it so important that it has to be isolated away from all the other rules, thus making the other rules LESS important by extension.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

These kind of 'press Y to prove you read the rules' statements are not very useful in my opinion. In practice, all they do is remove the 'ignorance of the rules' defense when somebody gets in trouble. This may be important in matters of business and law, but not in a free online fantasy game. I doubt staff gives any credibility to that defense anyway. More likely, they're going to tell you that you were expected to have read the rules and punish you anyway.

This is not going to eliminate rule ignorant lazies because they're just going to click on through anyway.

Quote from: Zoan on December 31, 2013, 07:38:08 AM
'I'm so solly, I'm so hungly!' *eats tacos* (misquoting that episode)

Leave my child out of this!

But... if you guys don't read the ToS, or the rules, you're putting yourself in danger of complaints and being punished for not abiding. It's no skin off of my back if you can't be bothered to read anything; just don't act surprised when you receive repercussions for not reading, not unlike Kyle Brovlofski, as pictured above.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.