I need your help

Started by TripleX, September 03, 2003, 08:01:05 PM

Hey Folks,

I'm an old player of Armageddon, from the time you could see your skill percentage.  At that time I (like most of the players) used to spar and check my % all the time.  Add to that the fact that the mud used to crash quite a bit, so I constantly typed 'save' in order not to lose a piece of equipment, or stats. These days everything is different.  Everything except the fact that I constantly type 'save', 'skills', 'sc' and 'look'.  I simply can't stop it.  One time an IMM asked me why I keep typing it, I explained him, but I don't think he believed me.  It just looks bad if some IMM snoops me.  I just can't help stop typing those commands, it's in my blood.  What to do?  :?

Alias those things to something else and alias a long drawn out thing to the commands so that you still can access them it's just not so easy.

You'll start thinking rather or not you really want to see them if you have to type out,

thistimeireallywanttoseemystats

Every time.

Might help.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

All I can say is that you are not alone!

If my screen isn't moving I feel as if something is terribly wrong in the world.  Blame it on TV and fancy newage games but there must be movement, even in a text based game! :-)

Don't try and fight it, just accept it as a necessity.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Exactly Marc, I need my screen movement.  Typing 'time', 'stat', everything just to keep it scrolling  :D

I type 'look me' constantly, sometimes even in the middle of mid-conversation, just to check out my l33t main description. Yeah, I'm a narcissist, I know.  :wink:

I also check my 'score' alot, because I've always found prompts annoying, and it's my only method for looking at my hp/stamina/stun. Therefore, an intense fight for me looks something like:

The terrifying scary thing hits you on the head, doing horrendous damage.

score
score
score
score

(Lag, then my score sheet pops up four times, normally showing me grievously low HP)

Think Oh, shit!

The terrifying scary thing charges at you, knocking you to the ground!

stand
stand
stand
stand

You stand up.
Don't you consider fighting standing?

flee
flee

The terrifying scary thing hits you solidly on the torso.

Welcome to Armageddon  :lol:

Disclaimer: Exaggerated for humor value. I'm not really a twink, but the 'typing score four times' thing is indeed true, and has screwed me over more than once.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I use to be obsessed with typing score (because whenever I don't I die  :evil:) so instead I've added it to my prompt, so now all I have to do is type " " and I get my vital info  :roll:

As for typing "skills" or "save" all the time, can't help you there I've never suffered from that problem. I sometimes have to type "skill" just to remind myself what my skills are  :roll:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of prompts either.  Do any of you use zmud?  I finally got around to figuring out the gauge bar buttons and I'm so glad I did.  You can set your prompt to show just about everything available, capture it to the gauge bars, and then gag the output to your screen.

Anyway, it's comforting to have all that information static at the bottom (or top, side, whatever) of your screen.  Maybe having something new to look at would help *shrugs*

Cheers

New-age mudding freaks.

Give me prompts.  Give me 'skill', 'score', 'stat'.
Had to alias 'aff' to 'stat', too!
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

My advice:

Don't stop typing 'save', 'skills', 'sc' and 'look'.

Its silly to think that some IMM is going to judge you poorly for typing in mud commands.   Those are commands that don't interfere with your roleplay with others, don't spam the game world, and are useful.   As long as you RP your character, who cares what mud commands you enter for your own amusement/habit?  Someone save us if typing 'save' and 'look' too often becomes taboo ;x.

Myself, I have a habit of typing 'stat' all of the time.  I use it to RP my characters grunts (or lack of) depending on the weight carried (which changes alot for me).

List all of the main things you want to know on the return line and just start typing emote takes a bite of a big juicy tuber, or how about emote dumps a large container of water on his head.  You could always walk out in the desert and eat some sand.  Sand is full of yummy minerals.  Take up a habit of passing gas and say excuse me at every opportunity.  Emote scratching yourself someplace on your body.

Quote from: "Bedhead"Yeah, I'm not a big fan of prompts either.  Do any of you use zmud?  I finally got around to figuring out the gauge bar buttons and I'm so glad I did.  You can set your prompt to show just about everything available, capture it to the gauge bars, and then gag the output to your screen.

How do you do this?
I can't get the infobar to work with Zmud, much less the buttons you speak of.
I'd just like to have the stun points in a prompt really.
Would be great if you had time to tell how. :)

Ditto to what the Frog queen said
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

In zMUD I've encountered two problems using the infobar. Make sure in Emulation that VT102 is checked, then in game, if you still don't see it when you turn it on, change the pagelength to 24 or 45, one of them should work, and it seems pretty arbitrary which one works at any given time.

I like my prompt.

<102/102hp 144/159stam 111/111stun>

Thats just an example, but take a nice long look at it. Isn't just so... absolute? It never lies unless you set it to lie, its just there, keeping you informed like a good loyal friend, it sticks with you right until the end no matter what.

Its a mudders best friend - your best friend.

Don't give in to the infobars sultry charms, it'll steal your money and give you an itch where no itch should ever be! Support your loyal prompt, because you can be sure it will be there for you when you need it most!
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

1st command I type with a new character:

Score

2nd command I type with a new character

prompt %h/%H %v/%V %t/%T Pace: %w>

Viola.

Since we're on prompts for the moment, I use the infobar and....

prompt %w, %s>

That way I know when I'm "walking, standing>" so I don't go running all around the city, or try to leave while still resting.

prompt %h/%Hhp %t/%Tst %v/%Vmv>/n%w>

That's what I'm all about. If it doesn't work for you change the /n to \n because I can never remember which it is.

I'm %h/%Hhp %t/%Tstu %v/%Vmv %w

100/100hp 100/100stu 100/100mv walking

With magickers I'm %h/%Hhp %m/%Mmana %t/%Tstu %v/%Vmv. Most of my magickers shouldn't be switching speeds too much.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

%h/%H:%v/%V:%t/%T:%s:%w:%o>

20/20:30/30:20/20:standing:walking:sirihish>
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

There was a question from Frog Fairy earlier, asking how I do my gauge buttons.  So, I wrote up a quick "how-to" which tells how I did it with ZMUD v. 6.62.  I'm sure there are several other ways to achieve this, and at least one that is more elegant, but here is how I did it and it works so I'm happy  :D

Also, I'm going to assume the reader has a little bit of ZMUD knowledge and I apologize if I've over/under explained a few things.  Anyway, here we go...

CREATING GAUGE BAR "BUTTONS" IN ZMUD

First, create new variables for each nugget of info you want to capture.

For example:

HP   (Current Hit Points)
HPMAX   (Maximum Hit Points)
POS   (Current Position: Standing, Resting, Fighting: "Opponent", etc.)
... and so on.

Next, create a trigger to capture the prompt using the newly created variables after the "&" symbols.

Example:

(This is how my trigger is currently set up)

Pattern:  &HP-&HPMAX-&ST-&STMAX-&MV-&MVMAX-&MA-&MAMAX-&POS-&SPD

This pattern should match the format of your Arm prompt i.e. prompt %h-%H-%t-%T-%v-%V-%m-%M-%s-%w would match the above trigger.  You can change this to suit your taste/needs of course.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I have "Trigger on Trigger" and Trigger on "Prompt" checked under the options tab.

Furthermore, if you want to gag the prompt output from your display, simply put #ga in the Value field for this trigger.

Finally, you need to create buttons to display your captured info.

After creating a new button, set the kind to gauge under the "Button States" tab.  You can place the actual numbers in the button caption.  For example, my Hit Point gauge button has HP: %HP/%HPMAX in the caption cell.

Under the "Advanced" tab, give your button an ID, like "hp" and set the value to whatever dynamic value you're tracking.  For example, to track hit points, place %HP in the value cell (or whatever variable you assigned it).

Lastly, under the "Gauge" tab you want to put the necessary variables.  For example, my hit point gauge has value set to %HP, Gauge max set to %HPMAX, and Gauge low set to %HPMAX/2 (This makes the gauge bar change color when my hit point bar dwindles to half my max hit points.

And viola!  You now have a functioning gauge bar button.  Just repeat the button process for each item.  For things that don't have numeric values like current position, you only have to put the variable (%POS in my case) in the button caption and the rest can be left blank.

You can resize, move, stack, and doll up your buttons several different ways, so I'll leave that for you to explore.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.  I know it was worthwhile for me to figure out at any rate.  If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Cheers

Because prompts are fun, I have two.

My default prompt:

%hhp, %ts, %vmv>
(or when a magicker %hhp, %ts, %mm, %vmv>)

And my if I'm doing a variety of stuff that includes ldesc changes:
prompt %L\n%hhp, %ts, %vmv>

This prompt gives me:

ldesc : is testing something.
432hp, 401s, 5mv>

I have the two prompts aliased so I can switch back and forth easily.

Bedhead, I really appreciate that you took the time to write all that.
I have to admit that I don't understand most of it though, heh.

But it did help since now I've rediscovered that I can set a prompt in the game!

:oops: