Karma Question

Started by Yummri, November 15, 2013, 11:54:21 PM

Hi there. I read the files on the website about Karma. And I'm a little confused about how its awarded etc.(its really late here, could be why I'm being slow)

I was wondering if I had to actively ask an Admin via request to start watching my character to look into Karma oints. I know the files said don't make it a goal. But one day I think I would like to try some of the other roles available to further learn the game and experience different things. This is more a long term goal though.

Is there anything I should know about Karma not mentioned in the files. is it awarded without me really trying. What are the ground for losing Karma.
Is it lost when you spend it on a role that costs it?

Things like that.

I think the most recent explanations can be found in the threads:
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,41934.0.html
and
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,41933.0.html

The review process you're looking for is usually activated by requesting your account notes through the request system.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Yummri on November 15, 2013, 11:54:21 PM
Is there anything I should know about Karma not mentioned in the files. is it awarded without me really trying.

Karma can be awarded without trying, yes. Just by playing your role consistently and well, staff may elect to award you karma. They may or may not notify you they've done so.

What are the ground for losing Karma.
I'm not sure there's a definitive list of infractions you can lose karma for, but think of karma as a measure of staff's trust in you. If you violate that trust, you may risk losing a karma point. Attempting to cheat, doing things in game for OOC reasons, spreading IC info OOCly, and so on might lose you karma, but those are things you probably don't need to worry about.

Is it lost when you spend it on a role that costs it?

Currently, no.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Oh and is there way to check to see how much Karma you may or may not have.?

When you request account notes any karma points you have are typically mentioned.

Also, when you're logging into the game, one of the options on the log in screen is something like 'Show Race/Guild Options'.  If you look at those options and see something there besides the races/guilds available to new players, then you've earned yourself some karma.

Oh thanks.

(Does not believe he is still awake right now)

Do the staff award Karma without the request? I mean I as a new player wouldn't bother requesting this. Simply because I don't think I've been around long enough to waste their time looking into it.

But that is entirely different if they have noticed something new players are doing and think...that was well played etc.

I can't speak for every staff member, but I will absolutely reward karma for people or review accounts' karma levels without them requesting it if I notice them playing particularly well. This is usually done in cases where an account has no karma at all but I think it should.

Staff do discuss awarding karma beforehand and we do our best to email or alert you in some way when we award it--oftentimes as a reply to another type of request, or sending you an email after a PC has died.

I would not recommend applying for an account notes request unless you've been playing for longer than about six months simply because you may not have that many notes yet and we don't want to disappoint you! Please note this isn't a hard and fast rule, just a recommendation. I observe players a lot during my playing hours and try to go out of my way to give feedback to people. It's part of what makes the job so rewarding!

I hope this answered some of your questions.
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

November 16, 2013, 12:36:59 PM #7 Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:41:02 PM by Barzalene
Now I want to like Calavera.
Sorry, that didn't add much to the conversation and it probably wasn't worth a post, but it made me happy to read.

I think if you just enjoy the game world and try to give something back each time you log in, the karma will come. Maybe not immediately or automatically. Sometimes a notes request (after at least six months) is the way to go, as people sometimes intend to communicate and things slip, or because some people are more quietly awesome than others and need a little light to draw attention to themselves.

There, now I can feel like my post wasn't gratuitous.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Thank you. Reading that did indeed put a smile on my face. Its nice to know staff take an interest beyond players asking them too.

As a rule(a personal one) I try to play each character very differently from my last but always strive to make an impact and make my characters last through memory. To make a difference in one way or another that leaves a mark on the world through role play.

And yeah, I figured as much for the character notes requests. What do those consist of. I assume its more than just "we have given/taken away Karma" right?

Quote from: Yummri on November 16, 2013, 01:01:18 PM
Thank you. Reading that did indeed put a smile on my face. Its nice to know staff take an interest beyond players asking them too.

As a rule(a personal one) I try to play each character very differently from my last but always strive to make an impact and make my characters last through memory. To make a difference in one way or another that leaves a mark on the world through role play.

And yeah, I figured as much for the character notes requests. What do those consist of. I assume its more than just "we have given/taken away Karma" right?

They are an edited version of your "P-File." If there's something noteworthy about your roleplay, or your character, the staff adds a note to your file. When you ask for account notes, they'll edit out any notes that might have sensitive information in it (names of other players to explain a scene involving other characters - magick/mindbender/other "IC-sensitive" information that might be considered a "spoiler" and so on).

The last time I received my account notes, there was hardly anything in them even though I'd played a couple of really long-lived, and well-known characters. I was pretty surprised to see such a short e-mail and somewhat disappointed. But that was years ago. I'm sure it's filled out at least a tiny bit since then. This time though I know not to expect to actually see everything written, so I know not to expect anything particularly lengthy.

They do also include karma notes. There's karma notes, and there's actual character notes, and there's player notes, and they're all put in one big player file. You get to see the karma notes, and any comments they feel are appropriate to pass along for you. But really the whole PFile is a tool for the staff, and not really intended for the player.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.