Spying

Started by QuillDipper, November 10, 2013, 12:57:28 AM

Quote from: Malken on November 21, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
I wish Staff could come up with some awesome IC reason why the Way would stop functioning for most for a certain period of time, like a month or two, just to see what the game could be WITHOUT.. If everyone loves the new way-less game, then keep it that way, if everyone hates it, then just terminate the IC reason with another IC reason..

It'd be interesting to see how the game would change without everyone knowing everything five minutes after it happens, no matter where they are.
This. Something... something that involves the moon(s).

Quote from: Jherlen on November 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
I think PCs should be able to recieve Way messages when they're offline (unless you log out with a barrier up, maybe.) When you log in again, you could use a "recall" command to see the messages people sent you while you were logged out. I think this elegantly solves the "We can kill Talia in secret without her being able to tell her friends because they're offline!" problem, cos she still will be able to get a message through. It also eliminates the potential for being able to know someone is on/offline via the Way, cos they'll always be contactable.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  On the one hand, yeah, that's more realistic...on the other hand, OH GOD NO I DON'T WANT ARMAGEDDON TO TURN INTO ANOTHER EMAIL INBOX.

Actually, I'd rather what Malken suggests come to pass, because I kind of hate the Way, but I don't think that's going to happen!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on November 21, 2013, 02:22:20 PM
OH GOD NO I DON'T WANT ARMAGEDDON TO TURN INTO ANOTHER EMAIL INBOX.

This. So much. Also, I like the general thought behind the idea, but it would make any and every clanned merchant RUE THE DAY.

The problem with getting rid of the Way is that I think the pbase is still too small to reliably pass information without the Way, clan boards, or both. That is, it still saves or creates more plots and interaction than it damages.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: LauraMars on November 21, 2013, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: Jherlen on November 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
I think PCs should be able to recieve Way messages when they're offline (unless you log out with a barrier up, maybe.) When you log in again, you could use a "recall" command to see the messages people sent you while you were logged out. I think this elegantly solves the "We can kill Talia in secret without her being able to tell her friends because they're offline!" problem, cos she still will be able to get a message through. It also eliminates the potential for being able to know someone is on/offline via the Way, cos they'll always be contactable.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  On the one hand, yeah, that's more realistic...on the other hand, OH GOD NO I DON'T WANT ARMAGEDDON TO TURN INTO ANOTHER EMAIL INBOX.

Actually, I'd rather what Malken suggests come to pass, because I kind of hate the Way, but I don't think that's going to happen!

If barrier for logged out people was made unbreakable, you could just log out with barrier up and never have to deal with this.

Quote from: Narf on November 21, 2013, 02:40:09 PM
If barrier for logged out people was made unbreakable, you could just log out with barrier up and never have to deal with this.

This, and only save offline psis from your clanmates. It ain't perfect, but it's a sort of improvement.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

But, in some sense, that brings you back to the original problem of "Check if her friends are online, we got some backstabbin' to do!"

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on November 21, 2013, 02:45:30 PM

But, in some sense, that brings you back to the original problem of "Check if her friends are online, we got some backstabbin' to do!"

Not really, because you wouldn't be able to be sure if the person is online with a barrier up, or offline with a barrier up. Unless you knew from someone's playing habits that they're always barrier-down when online and barriered off, I guess. Still, it might be an improvement.

While this would definitely probably send more communication to leader/merchant PCs since you can leave them messages while they're online, I'm not sure that's totally a bad thing? It would at least open up a better avenue for correspondence with minions/customers in game even when playtimes aren't matching up. The alternatives today are either not being able to send a message at all, or resorting to out of game means like the GDB or *cringe* IM.
subdue thread
release thread pit

November 21, 2013, 06:52:49 PM #32 Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:54:29 PM by BleakOne
Random idea about Waying:

Perhaps when you contact someone, they get a message 'you feel -sdesc- trying to make contact with your mind'. You can only send/receive messages when -both- sides contact each other.

This would make Barrier almost useless, however.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on November 21, 2013, 06:52:49 PM

Perhaps when you contact someone, they get a message 'you feel -sdesc- trying to make contact with your mind'. You can only send/receive messages when -both- sides contact each other.

No. I want to be able to troll people by contacting them, then ceasing. It adds a feeling of fright when someone randomly contacts you - you don't know who, or why, they did it.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Obligatory Make barrier better.

Seriously. It shouldnt' be so fucking easy to break my barrier.

Quote from: BleakOne on November 21, 2013, 06:52:49 PM

This would make Barrier almost useless, however.

This sort of used to be a thing.  It was removed before, so it's unlikely to happen again.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 21, 2013, 07:24:10 PM
Obligatory Make barrier better.

Seriously. It shouldnt' be so fucking easy to break my barrier.

Considering how many stunpoints must be invested and how hard it can be to start that bad boy, even on master level, just maybe, maybe, someone really needs to pump the primer and adjust the choke.

I think even master level contact should have a bit higher of a failure rating against master level barrier. Seriously, can shatter those barriers way too easy, for a rather insignificant cost compared to the cost of the barrier. Considering the amount of time that can be invested practicing with the initial stunpoint cost, well, it's quite a time sink, well, maybe if you usually end up with poor wisdom like I do.

Contact just goes up if you're a social person who likes to send messages to everyone you know over the course of a week.

psi :D Hai Tekk, jst wntd 2 let u know i got ur volcanose :P (wiggling thumb-tip between middle and index finger)

Also, I would like it if expel were to able to be practiced without having to kick someone from your mind, just maybe not as quickly. I must admit, I've never gotten expel to be high enough to be usable. Too much training in ruf circle, boxing, sparring, wrestling, not enough in kicking that gicker or mindworm out of your skull, if it's even possible with the latter which I wouldn't know because ow, my brain. Maybe just making it so you start with expel would be interesting.

While reading this keep in mind I can't tell my head from my ass and the views from more experienced players, as well as staff, are likely much more valid than my own. I apologize if the contents of this message are a bit odd, but I've hit I think my third or fourth wind over the course of three days without sleep so things may get a little odd.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Reading this thread has been a whirlwind of 'I wish this was this way or better or something'.

Safe to say, it isn't really a new player question anymore.

Expand discussion elsewhere.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff