Let's Give Each Other Ideas

Started by i love toilets, October 26, 2013, 05:54:09 PM

Let's give each other ideas!

I have placed below in white the moral speech endings for Bioshock 2 which I think are pretty inspiring, if you want to try a new form of morality:

"And then father, the Rapture dream was over. You taught me that 'evil' is just a word. Under the skin, it's simple pain. For you, mercy was victory. You sacrificed, you endured, and when given the chance, you forgave. Always. Mother believed this world was irredeemable, but she was wrong, Father. We are Utopia, you and I, and in forgiving, we left the door open for her."

"And then father, the Rapture dream was over. You taught me that right and wrong were tidal forces, ever shifting. To survive in Rapture, Father, you took what you needed from the innocent. But... when the guilty posed no further threat, you simply walked away. I wanted Mother dead, but broken as she was, how could she hurt me? Now, she will grow old and die, knowing that I rejected her."

"You taught me that Justice is a contract. Once broken, it can never be mended. You sacrificed so much to preserve the innocent, but to the guilty, you offered no mercy. I loved my mother, and I never wanted to hurt her. But with what she did to us, she gave up the right to exist. My hands were shaking when I did it, but you were there to steady them."

"And then father, the Rapture dream was over. You taught me that innocence is chrysalis, a phase designed to end. Only when we are free from it, do we know ourselves. You showed me that my survival, my joy, are all that matter. I Indulge, nothing else exists."

If you're used to hard mode in terms of survival, why not go easy mode on that, and hard mode socially?

There is probably nothing that interests me less in the game than climbing the social ladder. But that's because I don't understand how fun it could be, you know? When was the last time a person already in the game became a templar? Go for it! There's definitely stuff you get from that you can't get from a sponsored role, like the ability to eventually defect if you choose, and long-lived friends you can actually rp with.

Obsession tends to work well for me. Obsessed with freedom (from a situation or person or place), obsessed with a job (especially one that would be difficult for you to attain or rise in, but not impossible; an elf wanting to be a Kadian will probably just be widely viewed as a newbie), obsessed with love, obsessed with possessions, obsessed with money. One time, my human was obsessed with the creation, sale and use of eating utensils. Not even a shadow of a reason for it in her background, so it chalked down to something foundationally unhealthy. It was fun.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Those are good ideas, discovery of the world is another fun one.  I like how you used "probably" in your opening statement of the main paragraph, leaving a little wiggle room perhaps to eventualy want those things with some later characters?  Mmmhmmm...

Also I'm kinda torn in believing that you're a new PC or one of Nyrs' alt accounts.. just based on the content of what you posted and a conversation I had with him as of late... plus the whole Bunny thing... (smirks)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Total Makeover.

Simply walk away from what you had before.  There's several IC reasons you could pick to do so.  Change your name, change your gear, change your location, change your objectives, and start a brand new life with new people.   Have a back story, if you need one, but just walk away and see if you can do it again - but with the same character.  Absolute cure for complacency and boredom.  "Running from a tragic past" doesn't have to just be a chargen background flavor paragraph you use until your ride and contact skills become usable.   

Maybe you've had too many friends die, got on the wrong side of the new sheriff, dislike your new Lady Stepmom, got hit in the head sparring with a half-giant, or woke up after yet another black-out drinking binge in some seedy Kuraci dive.   Whatever the case, decide it is time for a change and go at it full-on. 

Quote from: perfecto on October 27, 2013, 02:42:29 AM
Also I'm kinda torn in believing that you're a new PC or one of Nyrs' alt accounts

Well that's good, at least SOMEONE DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ME FOR ONCE.

*cough* Anyway, how about those Shadow Artists, mmm?

When that came out, I was like, there's going to be a serious imbalance of predators to prey in Tuluk.

Right now might be a pretty good time to play someone who's asking for it.

I don't know whether or not they'd just get a Templar to come in for you for any of these instead, but here:

1. that rare, but always interesting asshole that sits at the bar, gets a little too drunk, and starts failing to be grateful to the Sun King. then they do it again. and again. it becomes obvious after a few RL days that they aren't going to stop.

2. a rogue 'gicker who solo rps in their apartment and thinks about killing (random highly-ranked merchant house person). They make eyes at the person whenever they see them, and they take too much time to try anything, this is where the shadow artist would come in. They keep putting it off.

3. a high-ranking (merchant house) member whose love your mom or whoever spurned had them disappeared. Ever since you've been friggin' crazy. Every time you see members of that house, you subtly insult them, their mothers, their heritage, and their hair.

4. a spice addict who continuously slips into the kuraci store and steals spice and spice-related goods. (will being licensed protect you from repercussions? my guess is no, they're kuraci.) I think this is a good role for an elf.

5. a tribal who is forced for reasons of tradition or necessity to spend time in the city--- and hates every moment of it. they hate it, possibly they hate themselves, they hate the bartender, the stool they're sitting on, the person sitting next to them. they end up subtly insulting almost everyone who comes within five feet of them.

I'm sure there's better ideas, but that's all I can think of now.

I can think of ordinary people ideas for days. But. I'm not sure how fun they would be to play.

- A soft spoken soldier of either army ~ who, may be efficient, brilliant but ... is timid and prefers mostly to keep to himself. Ultimately never reaching greater ranks because of this introvertness.

- A /completely/ silent mercenary in the byn. ~ Be it warrior, ranger, assassin or any other guild. He would be social in an average way, but he would never say anything.

- A half-giant best friend. ~ Not completely idiotic. But dumb and happy to help his best friend.

- The White Witch. ~ Any magicked character dedicated to the conservation of life.

- The Wicked Witch. ~ Any character who just loves to ruin others lives (not direct harm), through magick or by mundane means. Such as making Talia hate Amos after they've been mated for years. Or letting someone's pet hawk get eaten by a bahamet. On purpose. Just... someone diabolical.

- Exiled. ~ Born to a tribe who has shunned her for one reason or another. She must do something to earn back their love.

- Robin Hood. ~ Steal from the rich and give to the poor. A band of merry men to raid those on the road that seem better off than others and then just pass it out in the slums of a city.

- The Lone Ranger. ~ A ''palladin''.

- The quirky expert. ~ An assassin, a warrior, The best. But you've got turrets or something.

- The Nudest. ~ Who will clothe you!? No man or woman!

- The raging Barbarian. ~ You do what you want. No one tells you to do anything unless it benifits you. If someone angers you. It's a fight. Just be a mean butt-face unless it pleases you.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

That f**king weirdo who breaks into his friends' apartments, just to chill and eat some of their food.

That f**king weirdo who breaks into apartments, just to chill and eat some food and touch things.

A Tuluki dwarf with a focus to kiss a noble.

If you like playing merchants, maybe get into the game and sell your ability to mastercraft items. There's got to be a shortage somewhere.

I played a streaker once. Granted, it seemed like I ought to have apped it in the city instead.

November 04, 2013, 06:55:51 PM #6 Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:57:34 PM by Kronibas
Half-giant Rukkian/Protector

The 2nd closest you can get to a golem bodyguard.

Quote from: Kronibas on November 04, 2013, 06:55:51 PM

Dear god. A Half-giant warrior with Combat_Magick subguild would be indestructible.

Southern bard in Tuluk who honest to goodness just wants to be a bard, but was run out of Allanak for one reason or another.

Ungemmed vivaduan in Luir's or Red Storm, desperately trying to hide her curse and just blend in.

Merchant in either city with the goal of starting a new Merchant House focused on selling poop-fuel and poop-fuel accessories.

Spice-addicted Arm of the Dragon soldier.

Servant of a northern noble house with a desperate crush on a Chosen.

Peg-legged desert elf.

Tap-dancing half-giant.

subdue thread
release thread pit

I think merchant one can be done now.  ;)
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 04, 2013, 07:45:11 PM
Quote from: Kronibas on November 04, 2013, 06:55:51 PM

Dear god. A Half-giant warrior with Combat_Magick subguild would be indestructible.

A half-giant nilazi would be neat too, just since their minds are so suspectible to influence that there's no telling how the void would intrude on their behavior.   Just imagine Chucky... But with massive bone cleavers.

merchant/tribal, you greb for a living, and eventually mastercraft a variety of liquors from your tribe, and become filthy rich.

A tribal that thinks their people will one day save the world.

A tribal whose tribe is all dead--- because of them.

Quote from: i love toilets on November 10, 2013, 02:21:12 AM
A tribal that thinks their people will one day save the world.

I should elaborate. As in you don't even know what this could do to a person's mind. The egotism allowable in this is monumental.

>The always puffed up, sparkly-eyed soldier says, in northern-accented sirihish, "There is no doubt we will win the war."

>You say, "Yes. Just.... yes."

Repeat that twenty times with different words and a variety of people, you know, in a slightly better way than I just did and someone will train a brand-new shadow artist on you.

Quote from: i love toilets on November 10, 2013, 02:21:12 AM
A tribal whose tribe is all dead--- because of them.

This one I haven't done yet!  Appealing, very appealing..

My suggestion is a diehard Rukkian dwarf who's focus is the feed the masses, spending every waking moment producing food and giving it away to every single PC and NPC they cross paths with.

With this I would expect the IMM's to have to fatten up the NPC populace
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I seriously have a tough time taking anything you say seriously, Toilets. Your name forces me to remind myself that you are not a spambot. And ... I just have a hard time.

On the other hand, this is a pretty cool topic, with some good ideas.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm not gonna give away my ideas to y'all

They are mine, I tell you. MINE
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 10, 2013, 04:12:32 AM
I seriously have a tough time taking anything you say seriously, Toilets.

I have the same problem.

A dwarf with a focus to destroy the world, OR OR OR

a dwarf with the focus to destroy all life.

Like the Lich from Adventure Time.

A dwarf with a focus to cure elementalism.

A former pickpocket who just never quite lost the itch to steal. Eventually, this becomes a problem for their social climbing/steady jobness/being alive as it bottles up inside them until, one day, they can't take it anymore, and steal from the worst person possible. I'm thinking a Templar's aide for some reason. How awesome would that be! I wonder if it'd get covered up in Allanak.

Is this a viable mindset for a human, though, in a world where the love of stealing is primarily elven?

Perhaps a breed who doesn't know that he's a breed? Like, he looks enough like one of the two races that those who saw him growing up just let it slide, but if you look closely its obvious.

And he would, of course, be radically racist toward himself.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: QuillDipper on November 11, 2013, 12:12:02 AM
Perhaps a breed who doesn't know that he's a breed? Like, he looks enough like one of the two races that those who saw him growing up just let it slide, but if you look closely its obvious.

And he would, of course, be radically racist toward himself.

Never having seen a mirror! Yes. This is a great idea.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

You could always try something new! I bet something out there is new. And actually, like four out of my five favorite things to play were things I wasn't interested in before apping the pc.

L33T wilderness rogue gickers all boring and lame? Maybe you'd enjoy a city-bound gemmed more.
Rinthi human thing all played out? Maybe try a rinthi elf.
Or just go full random, stopping apping warrior/mercenaries and try out a pickpocket/house servant for the Byn instead. Aaaah.... ineptitude! A lessened ability to benefit from combat training! Screw your soldier nine days a week full-on HRPT combat training. MINE ISN'T GOING TO LEARN TO KICK NO MATTER HOW MUCH KICKING YOU MAKE ME DO. FLAAAAAAY VOOOOORR

Also good for learning about the other guilds while being a fighter-type in your storyline anyway. They can't all be front-line types.

A thief who takes All the Risks. Sneaks into freakin' merchant houses to get food. I would think the Byn is easier to get into though.

A hermit who usually lives in the wilderness because their mom was a rogue or whatever, and occasionally comes into the city to replace gear and stuff, but otherwise is an explorer.

The pickpocket idea is great. I did it with my last pickpocket, and omg. The things she got into.

Toilet is full of ideas. Maybe that is what really goes into the toilet along with your ...

ahem.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

The Straight Man: Find a quirky character who is crazy and weird and be the boring, normal foil to their zaniness.  They'll love it, so will you, so will everyone around you.

A soldier who has a BLISTERING hatred of half elves and accidentally gets romantically involved with a secret half elf.  When you find out, BEAT THEM TO DEATH WITH YOUR HELMET.

A drunk, washed up Bard in Tuluk.  Used to be Somebody, now he's Nobody.  BITTER. OLD. ANGRY.

A righteous northern paladin type who desires nothing more than to Fight Evil.  Join the Byn.  Actually I did this one.  I MISS YOU, RIGHTEOUS PALADIN (also I miss having absolutely incredible strength)

A LIIIAAARR. Make shit up and sell it for money.  Sell some true stuff too so people don't catch on too quickly.  But mostly lie.  About everything.

A drunk, angry, lazy bribe taking templar - in Tuluk.

I am keeping my favorite ideas for myself and not posting them here.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Kadian GMH with a destiny of redesigning allanaki templar robes. (think of the profits!)

Magicker dwarf with a focus to cure themselves of their affliction.

Half elf tribal with an unyielding pinnochio complex to become a real elf. (I tried this one, like 8 years ago.)

A real proper Allanaki aide. This means, don't go for the job right out of chargen. Somehow with guard listen sneak/hide maybe moderate combat skills. Go join the byn, make yourself real contacts for a couple game years. THEN go get a job as a templar's aide, having actual marketable skills.

A mindbender breed who has made up his decision to somehow transfer his consciousness into a human or elf host.

An actual martial artist. (There were monks in athas)

Someone that throws their lot in with an incorruptable sense of loyalty. (A rarity in Zalanthas)
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: BuNutzCola on November 13, 2013, 01:16:20 AM
An actual martial artist. (There were monks in athas)

The only problem with this, is that a lot of people will dismiss your idea of adept unarmed fighting against someone with coded weapon skills. I'd be all for it, but I'm guessing from what I vaguely remember from a GDB thread that unarmed combat just must not get that good.