A thought about storing characters

Started by Lizzie, October 23, 2013, 05:07:02 PM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 23, 2013, 08:02:48 PM
I also don't understand the "no/very rarely un-storage" policy.   :-\

I believe it is there for the purposes of being a disincentive to store roles for frivolous reasons.  We cover this pretty extensively in the storage helpfile.  I read over it and realized there was a part in there that probably should have said "unstorage" instead of storage--it makes the examples provided make a lot more sense when corrected.  (It's corrected now!)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

October 23, 2013, 08:38:08 PM #26 Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:43:08 PM by RogueGunslinger
If you mean this part:

QuoteReasons which have been accepted in the past for unstorage, and why we feel they are not workable:

It actually makes less sense now. I think it should be "Reasons which have not been accepted in the past, and why we feel they are not workable"

.... I... think?

Edit: Also thanks for replying.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 23, 2013, 08:38:08 PM
If you mean this part:

QuoteReasons which have been accepted in the past for unstorage, and why we feel they are not workable:

It actually makes less sense now. I think it should be "Reasons which have not been accepted in the past, and why we feel they are not workable"

.... I... think?

Edit: Also thanks for replying.

Considering it used to say "reasons which have been accepted in the past for storage, and why we feel they are not workable", I think it makes more sense now.  It is saying "we used to allow this for certain reasons, and now we don't.  Here's why we feel this doesn't work."
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on October 23, 2013, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 23, 2013, 07:47:25 PM
Quote from: manonfire on October 23, 2013, 07:44:25 PM
Storage should be an option from the main menu, imo, with zero delay.

Could never wrap my head around why it wasn't.

If you're involved in a plot, or a sponsored role, or a leader in any capacity, staff will want to make sure it's cool to drop you out of the game and go to a new role.  If you're leaving because you hate the role or because of some issue, we also need to know about that and need to deal with it, whatever it might be.

Has there ever been a time when a character was involved in some Heavy Shit and just flat out wasn't allowed to store?  I do recall an instance where a character did some shit IG, didn't log back in, and was brought back into the game (by staff, I assume) for his execution - is this an apt example?

If the storage triggered a request where staff and the player could have a conversation about the role after the fact, wouldn't that mitigate those issues?

Quote from: manonfire on October 23, 2013, 08:55:02 PM
Has there ever been a time when a character was involved in some Heavy Shit and just flat out wasn't allowed to store?  I do recall an instance where a character did some shit IG, didn't log back in, and was brought back into the game (by staff, I assume) for his execution - is this an apt example?

Somewhat.  I don't think there have been more than a handful of cases where we've had to discuss directly with the player why they can't store right now (plot/sponsored/leadership/etc) but would need to wait a bit.

If the storage triggered a request where staff and the player could have a conversation about the role after the fact, wouldn't that mitigate those issues?

Storages already trigger that now if it is needed...and it already does mitigate those issues.

Well Nyr it must've just seemed like a lot longer than it was. I even checked the last couple of storage requests I put in, and you're right - definitely under 24 hours each. The 24 hour window was an idea - and honestly I don't think it'd be necessary to have it any shorter than that, even if the idea for automation was a good one.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 23, 2013, 08:02:48 PM
I also don't understand the "no/very rarely un-storage" policy.   :-\

When I played Shadows of Isildur, I was on like... storage probation. They didn't let me store any more. I just couldn't get into the roles I'd made for myself: it seemed whenever I made a character, the playerbase shifted into another 'sphere', or I was left with a sour taste in my mouth due to other factors. (Staff having their spouses in their clans and giving them phat lewtz while giving the rest of us hell, just as one example.)

So like, when I became staff on SOI, I saw the admin that had disallowed my use of storage said on staff forums that I must be mentally ill because I went through about 3 characters in a month or two. (Nevermind that most of the other staff agreed that her assumption was rather heartless and was a mirror upon her own problems, but I digress.) I really didn't understand what the big deal was: they were just Joe Blows and had no real significance.

I am completely fine with the storage command now; Arm is far more lenient than any other game when it comes to retiring a character. I think it would be neat if we could apply directly after sticking a storage request in, but it's not a necessity to me.

Edit: Oh, ffs. Unstorage policy. Not storage. Well. It was just as much of a hassle to unstore there, as it was to store in my case. Derp. *retreats*
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

We really don't give a damn if people store a lot.  The only thing it might possibly affect is this:

If the storage rate is significantly high and the time played on the majority of characters is significantly low, staff will have to consider that carefully for any sponsored roles applied for by said player.

I give a damn if somebody stores and they're embroiled in a plot.

But, like Nyr, I don't really give a damn otherwise. I've stored my share of chars (Staff could tell you this) because I despised their very existence. I feel I had a good reason for their storage.

I do not agree with the 24 hour auto-storage because I believe you should have to allow Staff to review your current situation to see whether it's proper for you to store. Suiciding your character is frowned upon, I  believe.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I suicided a character once. She was stuck in an apartment without way of getting out and sort of went crazy cause of what she'd done in that apartment. I wished up as she slit her wrists. I don't think that was frowned upon.

Auto-Storage? No.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Storage...

*gets all emo and tearful*

This is a difficult topic for meeeeeeeeeeeeee............ *breaks into song, then is shot promptly by a crossbow bolt to the head*
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I've only stored one PC and that's because I played it very little and was away for a five years RL and came back and it was OLD and basically unplayable.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

October 27, 2013, 04:20:56 AM #37 Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:22:51 AM by Eyeball
I'd like to see the system modified so you could apply for your next character (special apps included) while the existing one is still alive. Then it sits and waits until you need it.

When your current character dies or is stored, there could be a two hour "decompression period", then you're back in the game.

It seems reasonable, and it addresses some of Lizzie's concern (i.e. prolonged waits).

Quote from: Eyeball on October 27, 2013, 04:20:56 AM
I'd like to see the system modified so you could apply for your next character (special apps included) while the existing one is still alive. Then it sits and waits until you need it.

When your current character dies or is stored, there could be a two hour "decompression period", then you're back in the game.

It seems reasonable, and it addresses some of Lizzie's concern (i.e. prolonged waits).

There really is no prolonged wait unless you're special apping or extended subguilding.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.