Social Etiquette

Started by Yummri, October 17, 2013, 04:18:33 PM

Actually, the Don Corleone/Godfather analogy is more like how I understood it.

Don isn't his first name. It's his honorific. His first name is Vito. Everyone called him Don Corleone, in public. No one called him "the" Godfather, but many people called him Godfather - in the same way people would call someone Uncle, or Grandma, or Daddy.

The -da is akin to the Don. And Donna would be the Di. Agent would be the comparison to Godfather.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Don is a title, not an honorific.

It's a bit strange because Mafia Dons don't have any legal right to the title, such as a real Spanish Don would have, but it is still being used as an appropriated title. You can kind of tell because it is a noun, and pluralizable.

Dons. Queens. Lieutenants. Agents.

All titles.

But Godfather, Your Majesty, sir, and -da are not (formally) pluralizable. They are terms of respect.

(Okay, yes, Godfather is a noun, but you wouldn't pluralize it and use it to mean "multiple mafia dons" if you lived in Vito Corleone's area. Vito is THE Godfather, it's a term of respect.)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I should add: and yes, you can say "your majesties" and "gentlemen" when speaking to multiple queens or lieutenants, but they are still honorifics, not nouns.

You wouldn't (formally) use "the majesties" in the third person to refer to queens or "the gentlemen" to refer to officers. Is it done? Sometimes, but it's a corrupted, informal usage, just as talking about "the -das" would be.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

James De Monet is on the Monet.

... Dang it. Someone already did that one.

Point is, using the honorific suffix for family members is a mark of respect within House Kurac. Outsiders using it when they're not part of that tradition is kinda meaningless, and (although it depends on the context and situation) usually just makes them look like they're sucking up.

But this is a little off topic, and not something new players particularly need to stress about.

Haha yeah, that's right.. kiss my ass you suckups :P Thanks for the clarification.
Death is only the beginning...

It just feels like, no matter what, everybody uses the -Da suffix. I guess it's an ingrained habit now!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Yeah. I just thought it was good manners. Oops.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I would think sucking up couldn't hurt, if you're planning on spending any amount of time in Luir's (You are, you have to, your other option for going north involves sucking up to Neckers, which is harder), so call them -da and -di all you want, just don't use the wrong term or treat non-family like family.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on December 05, 2013, 03:10:12 AM
I would think sucking up couldn't hurt, if you're planning on spending any amount of time in Luir's (You are, you have to, your other option for going north involves sucking up to Neckers, which is harder), so call them -da and -di all you want, just don't use the wrong term or treat non-family like family.

No, there's more than one way to get north that doesn't involve neckers, but you're not gonna like what it involves.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.