A Detailed List of Races/Skills/Guild/Sub-Guilds...

Started by Mad Max, October 14, 2013, 03:39:05 PM

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 18, 2013, 09:20:23 PM
Why not fix the code to begin with and when someone is fully covered the Mdesc no longer functions?  Makes sense to me, then do not have to worry about certain people RPing or not and everything works out fine.  Has it been tried before and failed or no one has bothered with it.  I heard something about reigns on wagons being buggy, thus is no longer used, but I have no idea.

Well, because there isn't a set rule for what is in someone's mdesc, and there are certainly some things you can tell about someone by looking at them when they're cloaked/masked/etc. I'd agree that it's not the cleanest bit of code we have in this game, but I don't think it's the most problematic either. Just don't go describing the generic, face-wrapped man you see down to the color of his eyes and that he was missing his front tooth, and I think you'll be alright. (=

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on October 18, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
Why not fix the code to begin with and when someone is fully covered the Mdesc no longer functions?  Makes sense to me, then do not have to worry about certain people RPing or not and everything works out fine.  Has it been tried before and failed or no one has bothered with it.  I heard something about reigns on wagons being buggy, thus is no longer used, but I have no idea.

Well, because there isn't a set rule for what is in someone's mdesc, and there are certainly some things you can tell about someone by looking at them when they're cloaked/masked/etc. I'd agree that it's not the cleanest bit of code we have in this game, but I don't think it's the most problematic either. Just don't go describing the generic, face-wrapped man you see down to the color of his eyes and that he was missing his front tooth, and I think you'll be alright. (=

I see your point of just faking it, but wouldn't it make more sense to force it where you can not see the mdesc while he/she is perfectly masked with hood up and cloak shut etc.?  Then there can be no qualms.
Today is a good day to die...

Never mistake my kindess for a weakness...

*emote grabs hand full of sand "We are born of the desert, we return to the desert..." *emote Releases the sand and watches as it falls on corpse slowly drifting

We've had the discussion before and the imms just dont want to bother coding it

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 18, 2013, 02:59:37 PMAs I stated in another reply to some one else, what Earth are you residing on?  Pick pocketing, thievery and murder run rampant.

Yes, of course I'm aware, I lived within a notoriously violent part of the world for a few years. And in places like those, in my experience, the reaction to being robbed is usually much as I described -- relief at being alive and safe rather than gathering up a posse to hunt down their stuff (though I can tell you a true story of the latter type too, which involves a harpoon).  However, many players of online games don't have that same experience. They are used to being able to keep their stuff most of the time, maybe even have reasonably trustworthy police, etc.

Quote from: Wastrel on October 18, 2013, 10:00:20 PM
We've had the discussion before and the imms just dont want to bother coding it

That's 32 flavors of untrue.

Once upon a time, masks used to obscure a PC's mdesc, and replace it with the masks's mdesc. It was an actual disguise. Once upon a time, it was so horribly abused, that they finally said enough - and took that away. There were still a few of those mdesc-covering masks when I played a Kadian family member, and they were turned into non-desc-covering masks while I was playing her. Now, they obscure -only- the sdesc, just like hoods obscure the sdesc.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 18, 2013, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on October 18, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
Why not fix the code to begin with and when someone is fully covered the Mdesc no longer functions?  Makes sense to me, then do not have to worry about certain people RPing or not and everything works out fine.  Has it been tried before and failed or no one has bothered with it.  I heard something about reigns on wagons being buggy, thus is no longer used, but I have no idea.

I see your point of just faking it, but wouldn't it make more sense to force it where you can not see the mdesc while he/she is perfectly masked with hood up and cloak shut etc.?  Then there can be no qualms.

A person's head is not the only thing that's described in a person's mdesc. Something that obscures the entire mdesc, is obscuring the fact that his BODY is muscular, that he has a missing HAND...that he walks with a limp..that any visible skin on his body is darkly tanned, that his EYES are orange (remember, if his eyes were covered, he wouldn't be able to see out), that he has inks running up and down each ARM...that he has an enormous pot-belly, that she has melon-tits, that he is so skinny he looks like he might tip over with a stiff breeze...

It makes absolutely zero sense for a mask that is worn on the face to make it impossible to tell what all the REST of this person looks like, when someone is making the effort to LOOK at him.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

October 19, 2013, 06:25:08 AM #131 Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:30:22 AM by i love toilets
Quote from: NewPlayer on October 18, 2013, 02:59:37 PMAs I stated in another reply to some one else, what Earth are you residing on?  Pick pocketing, thievery and murder run rampant.

Quote from: joyofdiscord on October 18, 2013, 10:25:09 PM
Yes, of course I'm aware

Quote from: joyofdiscord on October 18, 2013, 10:25:09 PM
However, many players of online games don't have that same experience. They are used to being able to keep their stuff most of the time, maybe even have reasonably trustworthy police, etc.

What we were basically trying to tell you is that Zalanthas is a majorly corrupt and desperate world, where pickpocketing, theft, mugging etc. are extremely common, in case that hadn't been clear before you asked about stuff.

... A harpoon, really?
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: Lizzie on October 18, 2013, 10:41:53 PM

A person's head is not the only thing that's described in a person's mdesc. Something that obscures the entire mdesc, is obscuring the fact that his BODY is muscular, that he has a missing HAND...that he walks with a limp..that any visible skin on his body is darkly tanned, that his EYES are orange (remember, if his eyes were covered, he wouldn't be able to see out), that he has inks running up and down each ARM...that he has an enormous pot-belly, that she has melon-tits, that he is so skinny he looks like he might tip over with a stiff breeze...

It makes absolutely zero sense for a mask that is worn on the face to make it impossible to tell what all the REST of this person looks like, when someone is making the effort to LOOK at him.

It would make perfect sense providing the perpetrator was not naked.  If he is masked you wont know what his face looks like and most likely even his eyes if he is looking out from slits or through a black veil.  Take into account he would be completely bundled up in a cloak that is closed with hood up and most likely would be wearing gloves of some type.

I know in code, under certain conditions, things can be changed when the criteria is met.  So if in full regalia of disguise, you can not see anything but what he or she wants you to see.  Typing 'look' no longer gives you the mdesc or what would normally be accepted as the mdesc.  Now maybe only a line or two at best and what can be seen as equipment is visible.

As far as the other little touches you mention, that all depends on if it is code based or player story driven based.  I know tats are code based, if you have a tat on your chin and or a scar on your cheek and you only wear a half mask, those will be visible, but with a full mask, they would not be.  However, if you do not want people to use the 'look' function in a way to identify someone in that particular circumstance, than take the option to even do so away by coding it impossible to see the mdesc when the thief is wearing appropriate attire/disguise.

So I am not sure how it use to be coded, as you mentioned before, but I am saying it isn't just a mask that prevents someone from seeing the thief's identity, but the whole shebang.

*emote grabs hand full of sand "We are born of the desert, we return to the desert..." *emote Releases the sand and watches as it falls on corpse slowly drifting

Quote from: i love toilets on October 19, 2013, 06:25:08 AM

What we were basically trying to tell you is that Zalanthas is a majorly corrupt and desperate world, where pickpocketing, theft, mugging etc. are extremely common, in case that hadn't been clear before you asked about stuff.

... A harpoon, really?

Cool beans.  Understood.

And as far as the harpoon incident is concerned...

Gang went to terrorize home owner, home owner went whalling...