Why are people telling you to join the Byn?

Started by Barzalene, October 13, 2013, 07:19:40 PM

October 13, 2013, 07:19:40 PM Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:39:04 AM by Barzalene
We often steer new players toward the Byn, but it's just a bunch of words. People come in with an idea, they want to play that idea and instead people say -Join the Byn.

So, this is why you should join the Byn-

The game is hard. The world is big and dangerous. New characters have potential but not a lot more than that. There is syntax to learn. You have to learn it while taking in a lot of information about a world that is very detailed and where the details are important. This game has its own mores and laws. They're not always consistent through out the game world.

(Yes, I'm not painting a pretty picture. I'll stop here and tell you, it's worth it. Really.)

So, back to the Byn -
The Byn gives you people to talk to. People to interact with. It's a chance to not just stumble around trying to get a conversation out of the surly vets at the bar while struggling to figure out the possessive emotes. You get an immediate social circle.

You also get a very concrete place in the world's hierarchy. It's a safe(r) place to learn the game world.

You get to interact with the code. You'll learn how to do all those things. How to use combat skills. How to choose your gear. How to ride a bug.

You'll see the world. The Byn goes out on contracts and does things in a group. Things you would die doing on your own.

And you'll learn some survival skills.

I know. Everyone wants to play the pc in their head. And that's cool. But that pc is going to be so much more fun once you can survive long enough to get somewhere. When every moment as that pc isn't interrupted by the realization that you don't know how to sit with that interesting guy because "sit at table" isn't getting it done. And it's definitely more fun than apping your second pc and waiting for approval after the first one dies to something completely unexpected.

Now this is geared more toward combat characters, though if you joined with a non-combat character you'd still get a lot of these benefits.

While the Byn is a great place to learn the game, it's also a place that Veterans love to play. It's a place to end up playing beside people who are experienced and still enthusiastic. Often these people had one of their first characters in the Byn too. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say, Arm Vets love the Byn.

This is why we keep pointing the Newbies toward the guys in brown military abas.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You also come out of the byn with a network of people you know and trust to some extent.  This is useful for grebbing /hunting partners, information gathering, future customers, future employment.

Barzalene,

Thank you for putting in this information. I'm not sure if I'm considered a vet or not. I've played since the mid to late 90's. Of course I've had breaks in between and I can say for a fact I don't love the Byn because I've never been in the Byn and never wanted to be. There are other ways to learn these things. Any larger clan can offer these same qualities and I always try to help others out with syntax when I notice someone is new and is trying to learn. I also help them out with other things. When it gets too involved I get them to the helpers chat.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Great post, Barzalene!

I remember at one point, the Atrium was open in Allanak for newbies who wanted to learn things but in a more non combat-oriented setting. I don't recall if Tuluk had anything similar. I think it'd be cool to bring back something like that for more social oriented types.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Personally, I've found the Byn to be a place to "get dead quick"... Still, each time I learn something I didn't know. Sometimes your warrior survives past that ten day mark, and suddenly things get a lot more interesting, or maybe your ranger branches parry.

I wonder about the wisdom of staying in the Byn, there are many things that the Byn does not teach so well. I suppose if it's the right fit for your character, that's where they should stay. Typically, though, the quality of the experience in the Byn depends heavily on the presence and mindset of the PC leaders, which, at times, say, when everybody dies, can make things kind of difficult. Not saying anything bad about anyone who has been or is a leader in the Byn, you don't get that being a miserable player. I'm sure these issues are not limited to the Byn alone, although I'm not so sure how often the everybody dies scenarios occur in these other organizations.

Personally, my first characters were pointed to the Byn and it's a blast, but it depends heavilly on the character, it's not always such a good fit. I would like to see more (relatively) safe training options for independents, so not everyone has to spend a year in (insert organization here), doing things maybe they don't want to do when they could be out interacting, instead of spending a RL half hour brushing dung from their boots. It gets old after a while, as does the occasional homicidal three day stump warrior who decides you fit into their focus of heads to mount on the wall (though admittedly, this one could show up anywhere). Maybe I would like to play a combat character without needing to go through that, maybe the Byn would have more experienced warriors and hunters coming in if independents could train themselves, and would have some sort of process for accelerated promotion when warriors and such come in fully trained, as an incentive.

But, sigh, not going to happen. Who's up for tent club?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I'm not saying every character should join the byn. It is a really excellent introduction to the game though.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

My characters still get pointed to the Byn.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

October 15, 2013, 11:26:22 AM #7 Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:30:24 AM by boog
There is nothing wrong with the Byn and everything right with the clan.

Not only is it a great way to be introduced to the game's commands, especially those related to combat, but it is probably the clan in the game that best represents the gritty, desperate and despairing setting and theme of the game.

Veterans and noobs alike can benefit from a stint in the Byn. It is a humbling and great experience, always full of a variety and motley assortment of characters. I also think the Byn appeals to more character types than you'd think.

Down on your luck? Join the Byn for some guaranteed coin if you complete jobs. Otherwise? It's food, shelter, and water.
Want to explore the world? Sick of the city state or fort you're in? The Byn's great for that.
Want to network? Byn, Byn, Byn!
Need a new set of ever changing faces? The Byn's great for that, too. ;)
Need friends, or comrades, for protection after you pissed somebody off by gambling sid away you didn't have? Lay low in the compound for a while!

I feel like if I post more, I will simply echo Barzalene's points. They are all excellent points. Everyone needs to be in the Byn at least once in their Armageddon careers.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Spending a year in the Byn is a great intro to Arm101.

STAYING in the Byn after is when the real education begins.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.