Longevity of PC

Started by JackGibbons, September 27, 2013, 11:45:27 PM

Hey folks,

I joined in late July, and lived for about 8 IG hours before being eaten in the HRPT. Since then I've had a few characters, all in combat roles, all dying against my preference.

Hopefully this is not too much IC detail, but my current character is a merchant. I've enjoyed playing with the crafting system for the first time, but this character has now lived the longest I ever have on a PC (a bit under half a game year) and with my high playtimes, I feel like I've learned a lot but am getting bored with it and that making it to a full year seems absurdly long.

Is this just noob impatience? Is it generally expected as a baseline that, if you are a serious player, you will keep a character alive and in a clan for at least an IG year, barring IC reasons to leave?  It seems sometimes like that's the test of patience to see whether someone is here to stay. I know to you veterans a month and a half RL must seem like a drop in the bucket, but I'm not sure how to stay interested that long.

What I don't want is to get a bad reputation e.g. with staff for never running a long character, influencing my ability to take on roles that DO sound interesting enough to play a long time on.

Any advice?  Thanks!
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Staff knows that this is just a game. If you're playing a nobody character and you're bored with it, just store.

It's not like you're storing a noble character two weeks after you were chosen by staff to play it.

I'm a "veteran", and when I'm bored after two weeks with a character, I store it. As far as I know, it has never affected my karma or staff-trust.

When I'm given sponsored roles, then I'm a lot more serious and patient about it all.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Do you find that you eventually settle into one and enjoy playing it for a while? I've heard of one or two year RL PCs before.
> who
Immortals
---------

Quote from: JackGibbons on September 28, 2013, 12:06:40 AM
Do you find that you eventually settle into one and enjoy playing it for a while? I've heard of one or two year RL PCs before.

Oh, I've played plenty of 1+-2+ year old characters in the past, but to be honest with you, it took me a long time to realize what sort of PCs I like and which ones I'll only be playing for a short time.

Like my favorite PCs are those who are not "prisoners" of a clan, and where I can go on my own schedule and my own fun.

Krath knows how many Legion and Militia PCs I've tried, but nothing kills my fun more than a strict-scheduled PC and those are the ones that I tend to store the most.

You're probably too new to the game to know what PC you'll be enjoying or not, so if you think you're ready to try something new and move, then do so!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I have heard of PCs living more than 5 RL years. My characters have had progressively longer lifespans with a few throwaways thrown in between. It gets easier

If you're terminally bored, you can store, but try to live until at least an IG year. I find that about an IG year in is when things start getting interesting. You often acquire skills by that point that make you less of a nobody, and you often meet other characters that you will want to continue to RP with; therefore, you will not want to die.

Sidenote: You might be bored with the merchant because you are skill grinding too much. Arma does not reward skill grinding, because just like real life, endlessly doing the same task can be mentally dulling rather than illuminating. You will have more successes but you won't necessarily learn better with many failures and no rest. Space things out as you would in real life. If you want to endlessly crank out products and learn as a merchant, well, there's a reason Santa hires elves.

There have been some PCs that have been played consistently for more than two years. I think six years is the record?

Those are the exceptions and most of mine are closer to a week or two. It takes a combination of both luck and skill to create something that maintains it's interest for long stretches. Sometimes you do need to have patience to wait out the boring periods. Sometimes you need to take a break from the game to recharge and reinvigorate your character. Sometimes you just need to say YOLO and do something crazy to spice things up. I've stored characters that I've reached the end of playing (usually they've achieved a goal and have settled into a boring life better suited to a vNPC) and it hasn't come up against me either.

When you do find yourself playing one of those characters where you've been lucky enough to stumble onto a role you continue to enjoy AND have been skilled enough to keep your character alive for any length of time you'll find yourself wanting to keep playing even when things are boring. Those are the ones that persevere past the lure of a fresh new idea! They're also the ones that make you emotional when you do finally loose them. (Any role less than a Sorcerer-King will eventually die and even then it's not a guaranteed eternity, am I right Valasaurus? hehehe)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Hey Jack!

My first character was intended as a throwaway ranger and ended up living like 11 months. I had the benefit of a good clan, and more experienced players to show me the ropes both ICly and OOCly, so as not to get myself killed stupidly (although I got lucky more than once.)

There are no hard and fast rules on how long lived your characters or clan tenures have to be. Are you having fun? Are you enjoying the character? That's number one.

Some advice, since it sounds like you had a slew of characters die in combat: maybe try a clan role (Byn, miilitia, noble House guard, GMH hunter?) and find a group of players you can run with that will help you stay alive? Alternatively, put some thought into goals for your current guy - IC and OOC both - and work on achieving those. Maybe you want to make 10000 sid, or seduce a hot aide, or branch Metalcrafting? Things like those always help me refocus when I'm at a lull with a role.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll think about it. I do think I tend to be like Malken and not want a clan "prisoner", but it also seems like it would be difficult to develop adequate combat experience to stay alive without joining a sparring clan like Byn/Militia.
> who
Immortals
---------

Quote from: JackGibbons on September 28, 2013, 01:10:41 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll think about it. I do think I tend to be like Malken and not want a clan "prisoner", but it also seems like it would be difficult to develop adequate combat experience to stay alive without joining a sparring clan like Byn/Militia.

The first PC I mentioned was a Salarr hunter, which was nice, because I had the freedom to go out on my own, but also had a clan to warn me not to be stupid. Add in some caution and you might live a decent while!
subdue thread
release thread pit

Merchants have the best all around social possibilities, you'll need a bit of everything to get socially networked.  You spend a year in one house, another year in another, come out and go independent, hell, join the Byn!

I think the key to boredom is social interaction, variety of tasks and peoples.  Constant change will keep things fresh. If not? You can always store.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yeah, though one of my points was that you vets talk about "spend a year here, spend a year there" like a year is nothing. From my perspective, it seems like a very long time (yes, I know it's 6 wks).
> who
Immortals
---------

Quote from: JackGibbons on September 28, 2013, 01:44:16 AM
Yeah, though one of my points was that you vets talk about "spend a year here, spend a year there" like a year is nothing. From my perspective, it seems like a very long time (yes, I know it's 6 wks).

It is nothing, if you're having fun. A real life week can fly by when shit's happening. Make shit happen!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Hello Jack,

My thing is I hate crafting I find it impossibly boring and I never craft with characters even though some characters get some crafting skills to start with or branch some later on.

Depending on what you are looking for with "combat experience" depends on if you should join a clan or not. If you're diligent and roleplay nicely hunters can eventually become really good with fighting skills. It takes a lot longer but eventually they get there. Just got to figure out the best way to increase your skill but make sure you are completely RPing at the same time. No one likes someone doing something for the sake of skills.

I'd say if you're merchant PC is involved in anyway or has any close relationships not to store it. Try getting yourself involved in plots. Go to some of the RPTs they tend to be fun and not as likely to get your PC killed.

Recommended ways to have fun:

1) PC falling in love. Most of my best plots have come from this actually. Of course I think a lot of them have been just sheer dumb luck that my PCs happened to fall in love with the right person at the right time in the right place.
2) Get drunk in a tavern and laugh about things that aren't so funny. Laugh really hard and fall off your barstool.
3) Do something that's liable to have someone get pissed off at your PC... Make sure its IC for your PC. Though have to be careful with this. If you get the wrong person pissed off at your PC your PC dies, but its still fun none the less.
4) Depending on what your PC is into learn the history of the city and surrounding location ICly. Talk to nobles or bards or whoever most of them will know a lot about the history. Again some of this might be boring but a lot is really fascinating.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Yeah. I think part of it is my high playtime. I did the math and in the past 3 weeks I've averaged 100hrs each. If I only played a couple hours each night, my PC's abilities would be more in line with his RP position of still making it through his intro year. But I like to be able to actively effect things, not be a peon.
> who
Immortals
---------

Taking the time to join a clan and follow the rules increases most of my dudes' lifetimes by like 1000%

Quote from: JackGibbons on September 28, 2013, 03:47:31 AM
Yeah. I think part of it is my high playtime. I did the math and in the past 3 weeks I've averaged 100hrs each. If I only played a couple hours each night, my PC's abilities would be more in line with his RP position of still making it through his intro year. But I like to be able to actively effect things, not be a peon.

Sounds like you would make a good noble or merchant family member someday. Keep an eye on staff announcements and give it a shot next time there's an opening! You never know.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

My thoughts, based only on what you've told us so far about your own play habits:

1. You play way too much. It's not good for your mental health. Averaging 100 hours per week is bad. It's not just "heh you play too much" it's more like "uh - you might want to check with a local mental health professional" bad. There are only 168 hours in a week. If we assume you're sleeping at least 6 hours per night, then you're sleeping 42 hours per week. 168 total, minus 100 to play arm, minus 42 to sleep, equals 26 hours per week to do everything else, including preparing and consuming meals, showering, interacting with other human beings, walking the dog, answering the phone, watching a movie, work and/or school... less than 4 hours per day dedicated to "everything except Arm and sleep" is a sure sign that you probably, seriously, and sincerely, need help.

2. If that average is an exaggeration and you're not serious about it averaging 100/week for 3 weeks in a row, then I'll suggest to you that perhaps you're skill-grinding and spam-selling, and this is going to basically cause burn-out. The code will be there when you're done roleplaying, honest. Put the straightening wrench down, close the chest filled with wooden poles, and either involve yourself in or create a plotline. Walk around the city until you find a dead person (not that hard to do at least once every RL day). Spend a RL hour seeking out a PC soldier to tell about it. That means telling every other PC you run into, until you find that soldier. Or try to craft some of the 400 slabs of raw carru meat sitting in the cabinet of your apartment. When you've made at least 5 that are not burnt masses - instead of auto-selling them - ask a PC if they want to go with you to the warrens, or the commoner's quarter, and find 5 lucky recipients of your generosity.

There are TONS of things you can do that'll stir up some interest. You can stand on the corner outside the most popular bar in the area, and recite a poem that expresses your loyalty to the city. You could start a debate at the bar over which Kadian red linen clothing object matches the EXACT hue of a ginka fruit at the peak of ripeness, and claim that you want to know, because you love ginka fruits but hate how the juice stains your clothes.

If you're not intentionally and actively placing yourself into situations and plotlines, but instead are just forage/craft/walk/sell/forage/craft/walk/sell for 14.2 hours every day (the more I read that the less I believe you're truly spending that much time playing), then you're missing out on the whole point of what Armageddon is about.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think it is also hard to play a long lived independent merchant, because the coded things you can do are mostly involving crafts/etc.

Clanned merchants/nobles are better, at least, in that they have many other things to absorb their time.

"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Invest in other people. If you don't have worries and concerns of your own to entertain you take on those of other people.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

September 28, 2013, 11:47:40 AM #19 Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:51:52 AM by a french mans shirt
The disgruntled drunkies drinking away their woes in the taverns and becoming less inhibited about their secret, festering hatred of the god-king, soldiers, or (powerful official group) is much too rare these days, I haven't seen one in ages, and I've actually never seen one that wasn't directing their hate at the god-king/city/oppression from the city, that sort of generalized god-king hatred that creates peacetime city refugees.

Just an idea for that time when you're coming up with something serious. Take your time coming up with the seriousness; and maybe test the water of that guild/lifestyle/etc. if you're not familiar with them before jumping in with the real thing.

Try something new? I was never interested in (lifestyle.) But then I tried it; it was great, with a boom that never went flat. I used to hate solo rp, too, I thought it was a waste of time. Now its one of the best parts of the game for me.

Everyone who plays, I imagine, except for some of those sponsored roles, has downtimes where literally nothing is going on--- the occasional dude looks at you and walks by, two people are sitting silently at the bar and not watching the scroll. Maybe your apprentice_steal pickpocket's been put in the dungeon again. Have something to do, in the game or outside of it. This is a part of the game that's not going to go away unless you're one of those hair-tearing-out sponsored roles, I recommend finding something to occupy it.

Have you discovered the hide skill yet? Its difficult to get bored when you're learning about it.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Quote from: JackGibbons on September 28, 2013, 03:47:31 AM

Your PC is going to wind up probably overqualified for his job. That'll be some interesting dynamic with your superiors. "Why do you still have be stitching gloves, I can be designing whole outfits!" Maybe there are other IC reasons you can find for being held back. Meanwhile, consider doing work on the side, if that's in character for you to do?

There's also a whole social game to consider. Just having badass crafting skills won't help you much if nobody knows your name or wants to hire you. You need some connections, formal and informal both, to make the transition from Crafter into Merchant.

Again, I think it goes back to setting some goals for yourself on the character, and then working to make them happen. Just be aware you may need to adjust, since you'll have a better idea what kind of goals are realistic with more experience.
subdue thread
release thread pit

People have different play styles. Some people come on board and their first PC lives an RL year or two. Some people just sort've cycle through PCs (me) and your style might change over time.

Just make sure you're having fun. Do your best to communicate with staff and if the character is no longer interesting to explore - store it.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

My own two cents, path's statement above is pretty true.

Some players enjoy the stability and reach that having a long lived pc allows.  As a result they play carefully (some might say realistically.) They aren't prone to being the "lone wanderer" in the deserts. To mouthful off to those with the proven capability of ending their lives. They might be more cautious in their relationships. The reality of this type of PC though, is that there will often be stretches of very quiet times that are difficult for some players to stick through. Perhaps their coded skills do not advance as quickly as the ranger or warrior out there going Highlander on every raptor and scrab within reach.

Other players like the straight out of the box excitement. They are more likely to be heavily combat-centric. The explorers, bandits, mercenaries for hire. Undoubtedly they might find violent plots to get into, or get caught up in drama immediately so. Likely their goals are short term, they will be in it for the thrills that adventure and advancement might bring.

There really is no "wrong way" to play a pc, unless you're going against the docs without valid reasons or failing to interact with the world in a manner consistent with a roleplaying game.

And frankly to be honest players of the former sort really need an abundance of those of the latter sorts in order to make those longer-term, far reaching plots feasible. Errbody needs minions and expendables. Whatever your goal is in when it comes to enjoyment of the  game, that's what you should strive to get out of your character.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: BuNutzCola on October 01, 2013, 03:30:11 PM
There really is no "wrong way" to play a pc, unless you're going against the docs without valid reasons or failing to interact with the world in a manner consistent with a roleplaying game.

This.

To address some of the OP's points, despite that my last two PCs that have both lasted around a year RL each, I always find myself at various points with PCs wanting to spice it up.  But I've found that the best way to do that is NOT to scrap them and start over, but to inject some other element into their lives that keeps them feeling fresh and enjoyable.

There's only so much you can do with a 1 day anything, but with your 30 day warrior who suddenly has a burning need to attain Crazy Wildnerness Plant to help out her suddenly ill virtual daughter (this is also why the vast majority of my PCs have vNPC family).
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I remember my first clan, and the thought of a year of service. At first it did not seem much of an obligation. A year, pfft, then I started adding it up. Three months, in game, at 200 + days each month, I was like, wow.. That's a lot of days in game. Then I was looking at Rl, and thinking a month and a half, playing everyday. Half the time no one was around to interact with and at times I never went beyond the compound especially when I was transferred from one city to the other and felt there was nothing outside the new city except things that would be far to challenging to go after so I sat there in the compound and complained to myself.

After a few characters under the belt I came to find that an ingame rolls past faster and faster.

But the point I found most was that when you keep a character alive, the game gains some life, as your pc becomes more known in one way or another. Others will come and go around you and you become a sort of bedrock. In that others, including hire ups start to take notice of you, if even only in a small way. This requires getting out publicly, social or not you will be seen. Being seen (in some situations by many in others by select types.) and longevity breed possibilities fresh out of the box seldom generate.

1. Time to build friendships
2. Time to build enemies.
3. Time to develop gain and loss
4. Time to create wealth
5. Time to become indebted

Blah blah.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.