Starving

Started by Fredd, September 24, 2013, 10:31:52 PM

It would be nice if you could tell if someone was starving to death, instead of them looking like they were beaten half to death by someone (bleeding lightly, bleeding heavily, ect)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Have it modify Max HP and make it completely separate from death by normal loss of HP.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, frighteningly emaciated.

>bash tall

You bash him and send him sprawling.
You nick the man's hand with your axe.

>disengage
You stop attacking the tall, muscular man.

>l

The tall muscular man is resting here, frighteningly emaciated, bleeding profusely.

Not the perfect solution, but the bleeding messages don't really match the trauma you've taken very well anyway.

Alternatively, change the injury message to something that could reasonably apply to any sort of health loss.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, {slightly worse for wear | in decent shape | in poor shape | near-death}.

Stop bringing OOC notions into the game.  Zalanthans bleed when they get hungry.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: Drayab on September 25, 2013, 12:38:29 AM
Alternatively, change the injury message to something that could reasonably apply to any sort of health loss.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, {slightly worse for wear | in decent shape | in poor shape | near-death}.

I feel like the above (or something like it) would be better just because it gives players a little reminder that when the code tells you blood is everywhere ahhhh, there might not actually be blood. It might encourage more RP about injury types, as well.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on September 25, 2013, 05:52:24 PM

I feel like the above (or something like it) would be better just because it gives players a little reminder that when the code tells you blood is everywhere ahhhh, there might not actually be blood. It might encourage more RP about injury types, as well.

Agreed. I've come across a good amount of starving to death people and been like "You're bleeding everywhere, what happened?!" And felt like an idiot oocly right after.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

And this is a simle change of phrase in the code. There's no coding needed. I've suggested it several times.  Morg, hook me up brother.  Heh.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

September 25, 2013, 11:27:42 PM #7 Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:29:47 AM by Synthesis
It'd be nice if starving was a little more realistic.  I.e. you don't start getting to "OMG I'm gonna die" for quite a long time.  Should just affect stats for a week or two IC.

What would be really funny is if they implemented refeeding syndrome and everyone started dying after epic mudsex marathons.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: lordcooper on September 25, 2013, 04:46:37 AM
Stop bringing OOC notions into the game.  Zalanthans bleed when they get hungry.

Sig'ed.
"You were right. I don't know if life is greater than death. But love was more than either."

Quote from: lordcooper on September 25, 2013, 04:46:37 AM
Stop bringing OOC notions into the game.  Zalanthans bleed when they get hungry

This brings to mind the funny phrase I heard once:

"This man is dehydrating! Someone get me a bandage!"
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Okay, I think that the ability to see whether someone is poisoned, dehydrated, starving, or otherwise affected by certain conditions should be dependent on a medical related skill. Perhaps poisoning should allow one to recognize if someone is poisoned by assessing them. Maybe brew or bandage should be applicable for starvation or dehydration status. I think this because there are a lot of skinny ass people one would assume are underfed and since starvation is a slow process anyway, it shouldn't just be an on/off, you can tell this person hasn't eaten for weeks kind of thing. It'd also make being a physician slightly more entertaining.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on September 26, 2013, 03:43:01 PM
Okay, I think that the ability to see whether someone is poisoned, dehydrated, starving, or otherwise affected by certain conditions should be dependent on a medical related skill. Perhaps poisoning should allow one to recognize if someone is poisoned by assessing them. Maybe brew or bandage should be applicable for starvation or dehydration status. I think this because there are a lot of skinny ass people one would assume are underfed and since starvation is a slow process anyway, it shouldn't just be an on/off, you can tell this person hasn't eaten for weeks kind of thing. It'd also make being a physician slightly more entertaining.

It would also be neat to see what sort of damage was inflicted, to match weapon types, and have damage done to a body stay after death.

I think that's more code work then anyone is likely to tackle, though.

(You can also just give your character one of the many non-coded, but documented, diseases in the world, and then encourage physician RP that way)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Physicians? The hardy people of Zalanthas have no use for them. What would they do that you couldn't figure out on your own? Poisoned? Take a tablet. Hungry? Eat something. Thirsty? Drink something. Bleeding to death? Take a nap.

Whatever happens, happens.

I completely agree with this one. But I also agree you shouldn't be bleeding if you're just staving to death.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.