Moe dabbles in chronomancy

Started by Marauder Moe, August 19, 2013, 03:15:22 PM

August 19, 2013, 03:15:22 PM Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:24:50 PM by Marauder Moe
I made a quick little Google spreadsheet that converts RL date/time to Zalanthas date/time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApEAnuejvuYRdFNWVlA0N0dCZm1aREVKNWxSTENEclE#gid=0

Default shows you the current time.  If you want to edit/use it, feel free to make your own copy.

NOTE: For dating historic events, conversion from RL dates before March, 2004 will not be accurate.

EDIT: General accuracy not guaranteed either.  I'm fairly confident I got the math right, but I've not tested this extensively.

Nice
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 19, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
I made a quick little Google spreadsheet that converts RL date/time to Zalanthas date/time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApEAnuejvuYRdFNWVlA0N0dCZm1aREVKNWxSTENEclE#gid=0

Default shows you the current time.  If you want to edit/use it, feel free to make your own copy.

NOTE: For dating historic events, conversion from RL dates before March, 2004 will not be accurate.

EDIT: General accuracy not guaranteed either.  I'm fairly confident I got the math right, but I've not tested this extensively.

Well done Moe.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 19, 2013, 03:15:22 PM

That's awesome.  I was really missing the old excel version that used to be somewhere on the old website.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I'll try and get a reverse converter done sometime tomorrow or Wednesday.  After that, maybe I'll look at some sort of snazzy web-form or something else more easily usable.

I will get to check it out later, but based on the above feedback, kudos!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

This is awesome.  Redstone King Moe, Calendar King Moe.  Somewhat tangential, but is the pre-March 2004 accuracy disclaimer because the MUD calculated time differently in the past?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

August 20, 2013, 09:04:37 AM #9 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:14:00 AM by Marauder Moe
Quote from: LauraMars on August 20, 2013, 02:33:06 AMSomewhat tangential, but is the pre-March 2004 accuracy disclaimer because the MUD calculated time differently in the past?
Correct.

Also, I'm not entirely certain I'm counting the years correctly (or if the years on the most recent history updates are correct).  All of the other calendar values start counting on the number '1' (first day of the month/week, first age) except years.  Years start counting at 0.

I suppose I need to dig up my logs from the turn of the last King's Age and see if the time prompt says "Year 0 of the 22nd age".  If it doesn't, I'll need to adjust the epoch and roll the numerical year back by 1 (That would also mean the latest history entries are off by a year).

EDIT: Looking at the history page, indeed "year 0" is the way it is counted.

Just did some testing.  For the record, the time system in game does not DIRECTLY correspond with what is on the website (the stuff shown there isn't a direct reflection).  Example:

Quote77 (Year 0 Age 2)

First Age ends.
77 (Year 0 Age 2)

SPACE VESTRICS.

Year 77 marks the end of the first age (identified as Year 0, Age 2) on its own.  If something happens on a year that is the end of a King's Age, it is treated as Year 0 of the next age rather than year 77 of the age it is in.

In-game?  Year 0 does not exist.  There's year 77, then there's year 1.  On the history site?  There's year 76, then it rolls over to year 0 of the next age (aka year 77 of the previous age), then it rolls over to year 1 of the correct age.

I'll get with Nessalin and see if we can make this make more sense; I wasn't aware it was doing it this way.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

August 20, 2013, 09:24:20 AM #11 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:33:58 AM by Marauder Moe
Alright.  That'll mean that history entries might indeed be off by a year, and that it's actually 1626 instead of 1627.  EDIT: Unless the numeric year also starts counting at 1.

Can I request, again, that numeric year be added to the 'time' command output (and the main web page)?

EDIT 2: Research suggests that our own calendar years do not include a "year 0".  So I just need to increment both values and adjust my epoch and the calculator should be accurate to the in-game clock, even on age fringe cases.

August 20, 2013, 09:45:18 AM #12 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:49:00 AM by Marauder Moe
Tentative new epoch is 9/13/1820 8:00 9:30 AM (GMT -4)  (EDIT: I was counting days wrong too.)

The history page can be fixed by adjusting the King's Age entries.  Either set them at Year 77 of previous age OR bump them up a year and say "New Age Begins" at Year 1.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 20, 2013, 09:24:20 AM
Alright.  That'll mean that history entries might indeed be off by a year, and that it's actually 1626 instead of 1627.  EDIT: Unless the numeric year also starts counting at 1.

The numeric year starts at 1.
Quote1 (Year 1 Age 1)

test

This has now been updated to convert Armageddon time/date to real life time/date.

8)

This is going to be useful for roleplay.

The robed, white-haired wizard says, in sirihish,
    "Look to my coming at the first light of the fifth day - Ocandra."

The robed, white-haired wizard says, in sirihish,
    "At dawn, look to the east."

The robed, white-haired wizard says, out of character:
    "https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApEAnuejvuYRdFNWVlA0N0dCZm1aREVKNWxSTENEclE#gid=0"

A pure-white war beetle walks east, carrying the robed, white-haired wizard on its back.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Neat little sheet mang.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Updated to include the year name.