Accent for the Midworlder

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, August 08, 2013, 05:47:41 PM

I would like to see either the tribal accent or a location specific accent for PCs started or playing from Luirs. That location is a melting pot of cultures. They should not be defined as Northerners.

I would also like to see a new accent for the Red Stormer. This is a completely different location than Allanak and they also should not be defined as Southerners.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 08, 2013, 05:47:41 PM
I would like to see either the tribal accent or a location specific accent for PCs started or playing from Luirs. That location is a melting pot of cultures. They should not be defined as Northerners.

I would also like to see a new accent for the Red Stormer. This is a completely different location than Allanak and they also should not be defined as Southerners.

I am so on board with this. Especially if you were to make Luir's accent tribal, given that the nomad's helpfile specifically says:

"Nomads, usually originating in the tablelands around Luir's Outpost, speak their own native tongue as well as Bendune."

Emphasis mine, of course. And, of course, the part where from most of the echoes, the vast majority of people from in/around Luir's that are NOT members of Kurac -are- tribals. The market also represents this well with the huge array of tribal vendors and relative scarcity of GMH vendors.

But it would be awesome though, because it could make a significant difference in how things go for... well, really any pc that is NOT a Tuluki whose inks give them away right from the start.

Sounds like an awesome edition.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Yeah, that would be pretty great.

But like many things that would be great, it has been suggested before and ignored.

Still, it would be pretty great.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

if we're going to add accents, I want a whole lot more than just a Luir's specific accent.

I want dialects for different upbringing within cities. I mean, there's hundreds of thousands of people in these city states, you'd expect dialects.

I want a diversity of accent choices in Tribal accents, so that Arabetis and gypsies and run of the mill nomads don't all have the same generic accent.

Etc. etc.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I've never viewed "tribal accent" as sounding the same from one tribe to the next.
I try to think of it as "a tribal accent".

On Topic:
I would like to see those who start in Luir's being able to choose between Northern and Southern accent.
If you aren't Kuraci, odds are you don't -live- in Luir's, so I don't think Luir's should have it's own accent.  Luir's is not a city or village where people plant themselves and spawn the next generation (this would be a requirement for a common recognizable accent to develop) but a centralized trading outpost where people come, buy, sell, drink, eat, smoke, kank, then go back out again.

I would NOT like to see people who choose Luir's as a starting location get Tribal accent.
We have coded clans, subguilds and special applications for those who wish to play a character from a nomadic tribe (which is what starting with that coded accent means).
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'm actually perfectly fine having luirs and tuluk be north, and Storm, and Allanak be south. What's wrong with that, exactly?

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 08, 2013, 07:39:27 PM
I would like to see those who start in Luir's being able to choose between Northern and Southern accent.

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on August 08, 2013, 07:45:50 PM

+1

QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 08, 2013, 07:42:51 PM
I'm actually perfectly fine having luirs and tuluk be north, and Storm, and Allanak be south. What's wrong with that, exactly?

Northern and Southern accents developed in Tuluk and Allanak respectively.
Most people who chose Tuluk as a starting location will be from there, the same with Allanak and the Labyrinth.

People who chose to start in and frequent Luir's could be from anywhere.
People who chose to start in Red Storm, are either from Red Storm (a village that formed more than a few King's Ages ago which is more than long enough for a separate dialect/accent to have formed) or have fled there from somewhere else, not necessarily Allanak, for a variety of reasons.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

You know what?  That makes me think that Strom needs their own too.
Fredd-

I would much, much rather luirs got its own accent than to have them be able to choose between north and south. But as is I think it's good for luirs to be "northern". I would prefer it to stay that way.

Totally on the side of having accents for Luirs and RS be different.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

On Topic:
If you aren't Kuraci, odds are you don't -live- in Luir's, so I don't think Luir's should have it's own accent.  Luir's is not a city or village where people plant themselves and spawn the next generation (this would be a requirement for a common recognizable accent to develop) but a centralized trading outpost where people come, buy, sell, drink, eat, smoke, kank, then go back out again.

I would NOT like to see people who choose Luir's as a starting location get Tribal accent.
We have coded clans, subguilds and special applications for those who wish to play a character from a nomadic tribe (which is what starting with that coded accent means).

Actually, a tribal accent pretty much means you've been around tribals long enough to talk like one, if it did not, then it would -always- come with bendune (which it does not, and can be learned seperately from), or bendune would -always- come with the tribal accent, which, afaik, is not the case, I believe caravan guides get bendune but no tribal accent. I see nothing wrong with people who were raised in a place which is full of tribals in the market and the surrounding lands to have a tribal accent. It's not like they'd be starting with bendune, after all. It's an accent, not a language, and in my experience, accents are notoriously easy to pick up compared to languages.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

August 08, 2013, 10:38:48 PM #13 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:43:27 PM by FantasyWriter
But who, other than Kuracis, would be raised -in- Luir's?
Your starting accent is what you were taught as a child, not something you picked up along the way.

From your earlier doc quote:

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on August 08, 2013, 06:14:44 PM
"Nomads, usually originating in the tablelands around Luir's Outpost, speak their own native tongue as well as Bendune."
Emphasis yours.

Originating in the tablelands around Luir's =/= raised within the walls of Luir's outpost.

As far as I know, Luir's doesn't have any permanent residences available for the virtual non-Kuraci population to live any more than for PCs.
It still seems to me that even with a starting location of Luir's Outpost, your character would still be -from- somewhere else.

I am not totally against being -able- to take Tribal accent if you want to start in Luir's, but I certainly don't think it should be the default, either.

Grebber - One who grebs.

There's only so much that can be gained by adding more accents... because then it takes away the mystery, which I have -always- liked about the basic, "north/south" accent system.

Rather than add new accents to old areas... I want new areas. ;)

if the choice is between "more accents" or "keep it as is," my vote is solidly for "keep it as is."
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I hadn't thought about choosing one of the three main accents. That'll do absolutely fine.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

+1

Same goes for Red Storm too - both Luirs and Red Storm have a huge transitory population - and should not be forced to have a particular accent.

In other words - its easier than creating a PC in a certain starting location just to get the correct accent for your PC, and then having to move your newbie PC to the actual location you want to be playing in.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on August 09, 2013, 03:28:08 AM

+1

Same goes for Red Storm too - both Luirs and Red Storm have a huge transitory population - and should not be forced to have a particular accent.

In other words - its easier than creating a PC in a certain starting location just to get the correct accent for your PC, and then having to move your newbie PC to the actual location you want to be playing in.

make it like the beginner traders/tattooist rooms, where an npc asks you where you wish to hail from. At which point you could also get the appropriate tattoos/accent if you start at either luir's or red storm.

Quote from: Da Princess on August 09, 2013, 04:38:19 AM
Quote from: Incognito on August 09, 2013, 03:28:08 AM

+1

make it like the beginner traders/tattooist rooms, where an npc asks you where you wish to hail from. At which point you could also get the appropriate tattoos/accent if you start at either luir's or red storm.

+1
Fredd-

Yes.

If the Rinth, a part of Allanak, can have their very own accent/dialect then why should everything else in the south that isn't in Allanak be forced to have the same accent. Same with Tuluk, why isn't there a Warrens accent or something. And no, Luir's should not be lumped in with a Northern accent just because they're above the Mason-Dixon line of Zalanthas. IRL each state has their own accent and even different accents depending where in that state you're from; where I live I can tell what county someone is from just by their accent. The same with other countries like the UK, someone from Southall does not have the same accent as someone from London. But, I guess the argument could be made and you just have to have some leeway with your RP, like the way a lot of people play dorf-speak for instance.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

or maybe just do away with hardcoded accents and let the player decide

Quote from: i can haz mantis on August 09, 2013, 10:08:38 AM
If the Rinth, a part of Allanak, can have their very own accent/dialect then why should everything else in the south that isn't in Allanak be forced to have the same accent. Same with Tuluk, why isn't there a Warrens accent or something.
I'm not so sure of this, because the Labyrinth is all but completely shut off from the rest of Allanak both physically and socially.
The Warrens of Tuluk are more open in both aspects. The people there are still considered full commoner citizens, and can come or go in the rest of the city as they please.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Tuluk simply needs an accent for the upper crust, leave all the common folk to speak basic northern accent.

An accent for "Outlanders" would be something useful for Luir's, unless the tribal accent already accounts for this.  I do agree that it'd be convenient for those starting in Luir's and even Red Storm to be able to choose an accent given the transient nature of many of the players that live there.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

On the one hand, a Luir's accent would be awesome. A Red-storm accent would be pretty cool, as well. I'm all for it.

On the other hand, a "Northern" accent is a kind of tribal accent. So is the "Southern" accent. So we probably shouldn't read too much into the name "tribal" accent.

Players may know this -- it's in the Arm Chronology that both South and North are made up of tribes that were brought together After the Time of the Dragon.

AFAIK, characters should only learn this fact IG.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I like the idea of a Luir's accent.

The short, fat puertorrican says, in luirsian-accented sirihish "I was born and raised in the Post."

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.