graphic mapper in clients

Started by Tamago, July 31, 2013, 02:06:57 AM

so i discovered that i'm not so good with pen and peper or spreadsheets, but i read that clients like MUSHclient can have a graphic mappers create a map for you as you walk around.. so i downloaded MUSHclient, and installed the automapper thingie and is not working, i also read that it might be cause Armageddon uses GMCP (some kind of protocol) instead of ATCP (another protocol). but it turns out there's a GMCP mapper too, so i downloaded that and turns out it doesn't work either :(

as far as i can tell, it's cause the rooms down have a number to identify them, but i might (most likely) be wrong.. in any case, has anyone been able to make it work? has a solution, or whatever? or should i just give up and learn excel or  whatever other means?

PS: does this even go here? i'm a new player so i guess it falls under new player question right?

Quote from: Tamago on July 31, 2013, 02:06:57 AM
so i discovered that i'm not so good with pen and peper or spreadsheets, but i read that clients like MUSHclient can have a graphic mappers create a map for you as you walk around.. so i downloaded MUSHclient, and installed the automapper thingie and is not working, i also read that it might be cause Armageddon uses GMCP (some kind of protocol) instead of ATCP (another protocol). but it turns out there's a GMCP mapper too, so i downloaded that and turns out it doesn't work either :(

as far as i can tell, it's cause the rooms down have a number to identify them, but i might (most likely) be wrong.. in any case, has anyone been able to make it work? has a solution, or whatever? or should i just give up and learn excel or  whatever other means?

PS: does this even go here? i'm a new player so i guess it falls under new player question right?

Unfortunately, some parts of the game are non-linear (that is to say, they wouldn't fit properly on a map). There already is an ascii map of Tuluk and Allanak though, in the game (type help map northlands and help map allanak I believe, to see either).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

You know, I tried automappers years ago and while they'd work sometimes, they didn't often enough that it was just frustrating.  I know you say you're not so good with spreadsheets, but you can make a great map without much skill; it would be worth it to learn.

What I do is go through my logs when I'm offline, and work it onto a spreadsheet.   Working from logs can be frustrating too, because many wilderness rooms are similar and you can get confused, especially if you're moving back and forth.  But if you stick to it you can figure it out.  Working offline makes it so you can take as much time as you need to get it right.

You can color cells representing important rooms (like rooms you can fall in, for instance, or where bahamets are likely to linger), and add whatever notes about it you want.  Sometimes you'll have to make one room stretch across a couple of cells to make up for the non-linear nature of some areas.  Getting things to line up in a way that's visually useful is the most challenging part of this technique.

It's time-intensive, especially in the beginning when everything is new, but soon enough you'll find you rarely have to add to it, and then only a few rooms at a time.  You can end up with something very useful after a short time, and it's definitely worth the effort.

This my be useful, i'm thinking on trying it out

http://www.lauzet.com/argon

First Welcome to Armageddon! I hope you're enjoying it.

Second I just tend to memorize where things are. I hadn't played for over five years and had forgotten where most things were and some things had changed too. I took probably a month RL and just wondered around the city and memorized where everything is. If you have a character that is one that can survive outside the city I would pick a specific area outside your city not go too far as a beginning character you really shouldn't anyways and just start learning that area. Try to join a clan or a good group of people and go with them and learn and watch where they are going. First order of business is usually to figure out where the most important things are. Primarily sources of water and food. Once you have that covered you can explore and move on.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I have a seriously hard time visualizing space from text. When people lead me places it's literally a grey wall-of-text blur and I'm instantly lost. I'd love if someone could share an auto-mapper solution for any of Cmud, Mushclient or Mudlet. I know it isn't a failsafe but at least I could get some idea of space that my character would have, instead of sort of short circuiting player-side.

I must apologize, I believe my post was taken in the wrong way. I was not trying to discount any person's style of learning. I was just offering a solution as I tried to map this out back in the 90's when I started playing and could not. Much because of Lizzie's post saying a lot of the rooms are non-linear. Things seem to have gotten better since then. But I learned then just to remember where things were and how to get to them. I'm sorry if anyone took my post incorrectly.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I remember my first real character to live in the 'Rinth. I remember mapping it freehand on 8.5x11 paper. Then again, I think I did the same thing with the Bazaar. Those maps were like gold.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I also just remember stuff.   8)

I used to remember stuff and then consort maps to be sure. But now I don't really need to anymore.

With my first character I tried to map out The Crater I got frustrated doing it. Then my friend that got me started on Arm told me that things weren't always linear so it messes up mapping stuff a lot.

If I map, I hand map using graph paper and mark ups and downs, and then trace it in illustrator so I can overlay.....I say that's what I do...I've only done it once, but I now have a pretty extensive map of the whole 'rinth and a very large, complicated and difficult to traverse area of the game, which I'm pretty proud of. Just in case I ever a roll a character that I want to enter the game being an expert of that particular area...which will probably never happen. It kept me entertained anyway.

I think I drew out 'the 'Nak market when I first started way back when too, just because I couldn't remember where any of the shops are and I kept getting lost.

Personally I've always found the built in mappers to be a bit buggy and weird. Pen and paper just takes patience and a rubber (e.g. pencil and paper).
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 31, 2013, 08:26:07 PM
If I map, I hand map using graph paper and mark ups and downs, and then trace it in illustrator so I can overlay.....I say that's what I do...I've only done it once, but I now have a pretty extensive map of the whole 'rinth and a very large, complicated and difficult to traverse area of the game, which I'm pretty proud of. Just in case I ever a roll a character that I want to enter the game being an expert of that particular area...which will probably never happen. It kept me entertained anyway.

I think I drew out 'the 'Nak market when I first started way back when too, just because I couldn't remember where any of the shops are and I kept getting lost.

Personally I've always found the built in mappers to be a bit buggy and weird. Pen and paper just takes patience and a rubber (e.g. pencil and paper).

Uhhh rubber? I hope you meant eraser.

In England we call them rubbers...cause like...you rub stuff out with them.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 31, 2013, 10:11:15 PM
In England we call them rubbers...cause like...you rub stuff out with them.

I see, I suspected you might be from a different country. But wasn't sure after looking at your profile.