"Dang Those Creative and Artistic Northerners!"

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, August 30, 2003, 12:23:09 AM

I've been wondering... It's -very- easy for a Northerner to hate a Southerner (though not many players like to do this... But that's another thread all together...). A Northerner has all kinds of reasons to hate a Southerner:
1. They're from (or at least from around) Allanak, that god-awful place who's people oppressed my people for centuries.
2. Oh, yeah, and they smashed a lot of Old Tuluk while doing the oppressing. Grr!
3. They have magickers down there! Just walking around, for all to see! Ghastly!
4. In fact, there are so many magickers down in Allanak, I wouldn't be suprised if they were -all- finger waggling heathens!
5. They eat gross things like scrab heads.
6. And that foul 'Nakki whiskey!
7. They have those silly fighting styles, using two weapons at once... How crazy is that?
8. They just can't appreciate a good, stout shield.
9. They follow that evil Tektolnes. Go Muk!
10. They never smoke spice. It's almost amusing how they're so afraid of the stuff, actually...
11. They talk funny!

Those are just some ideas to get things started. Easy, isn't it? Anyways, I want some advice on things -Southerners- might dislike or fear about -Northerners-. Personally, I think calling Northerners 'wussy' or 'weak' just because they have a more artistic culture and a nicer climate is kind of lame. These are things that (I think) a Southerner would envy, would wish for, not things he'd scoff at or decline.

What are your thoughts?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I played a very outspoken Allanaki hater in Tuluk for a good 2 or three month stint.

I got:

• Derided by northerners.
  • Attacked by northerners.
  • Fired from my job for speaking ill about a superior who was a southerner and refusing to take it back.
For a region only a few decades removed from occupation they seem to either have short term memories, or there was a lot of 'shadow dealings' going on in the background that just weren't very successful.

For whatever reason Tuluk's atmosphere does not appear conducive to any overt expression of Allanaki hatred.

[Broken Record]And allowing a previously southern-only group to move into the region a decade or two removed from helping Allanak in the war doesn't help, IMHO.[/Broken Record]

Either way, I have just altered my expectations when I play in the north and I don't expect to see Allanakis go running out of the Sanctuary being pelted by rotting ginka.

Why Northerners are the scum of the world (adapted from 5DMW's list):

1. They're from (or at least from around) Tuluk, that god-awful place who's people killed our noble protectors and friends.
2. Oh, yeah, and they smashed a lot of our stuff while doing the rebellion. Grr!
3. They have scores of mutants down there! Just walking around, for all to see! Ghastly!
4. In fact, there are so many mutants down in Tuluk, I wouldn't be suprised if they -all- have something terribly wrong with them!
5. They eat gross things like (I can't think of anything, but I didn't think too hard).
6. And that foul Luir's ale!
7. They have those silly fighting styles, using a big clunky shield... How crazy is that?
8. They just can't appreciate a sharp, poisoned dagger.
9. They follow that evil Muk Utep. Go Tek!
10. They're always smoking spice.  It's almost amusing how addicted to it they are, actually...
11. They talk funny!

One or two of my own:
1.  They're always so hostile whenever a Southerner visits.  Barbarians.
2.  It's so spread out and rural down there, how can they be civilized?
3.  Give me good, hard obsidian over wood any day.

In conclusion, it's mainly the rebellion that makes Allanak hate Tuluk, and why their barbarian reputation continues.  Plus, the mutants don't hurt.

CRW, I have to agree with you. I, personally, would like to see a -LOT- more hostility between people from Allanak and Tuluk. But I just don't see it happening. Like... At all. To the point we're I'm afraid to try and do it myself.

Anyways, good repsonses so far. I'd love to see more.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I play an open tuluki hater in 'nak.  Problem is, it always leads to conflict and 'conflict is bad'.  Or something.  This is real quick, I have to go to work.

But as to southerners calling northerners weak and wussy...it's not because of artsy fartsy.  Look at th area around tuluk compared to allanak.  "They can't handle a desert?  Softies!"  And I doubt any southerner would want anything to do with anything the north holds dear.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

CRW, you know you weren't fired for speaking out against your southern superior.  You were fired for speaking out about your superior at all.  :-)
Never speak out about your superior.  In RL that can have bad consequences as well.

The OOC reason that was given for destroying Tuluk and rebuilding it (besides some mapping issues, I guess) was that the RP had to change from what it was (warm and fuzzy) to something better, more realistic (with in the logic of the game).

I have not seen the improvement.  To me the new Tuluk is VERY much like the Tuluk of old in that sense.

Tuluk used to be the starting place of choice for new characters because it was "easy" and it still is.  There is no place in the Known World where it is so easy to "make it."

It is no suprise (or maybe it is a surprise) that the North still breeds love circles and hippies.  :-)  Maybe it has something to do with the ease of making a living?  If you don't feel you're at risk, you can afford to be a little more friendly and open?

I would love to see a great evil befall the North to balance the positives of living there. While the length of the roads do make up for some of this "ease"  ;-) maybe the forests become increasingly infested with poisonous and hungry creatures?  Maybe the Tuluk creates a policy of complete intolerance of Elves - offering bounty for each elf-head brought to a templar?  Maybe the same for each Allanaki citizen brought back dead?  Maybe active slaving by the city to help bulid mines?

I don't know.  I'm babbling here, but it is too sweet in the North.  Perhaps we shoudl call on the players to rise up and be bastards.  :-)
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Quote from: "witchman"...the new Tuluk is VERY much like the Tuluk of old in that sense...it was "easy" and it still is...maybe the forests become increasingly infested with poisonous and hungry creatures...Maybe the Tuluk creates a policy of complete intolerance of Elves - offering bounty for each elf-head brought to a templar...Maybe the same for each Allanaki citizen brought back dead...Maybe active slaving by the city to help bulid mines...it is too sweet in the North.  Perhaps we shoudl call on the players to rise up and be bastards.  :-)

Maybe you should come back up North for a second or five... :twisted:
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I don't care where you are- Zalanthas is dark. And its people do all they can to survive.. they're all in about the same boat.

The land is hospitable to life, but only barely.. everyone suffers from the heat and burn of Suk-Krath- on the surface at least- and everything is brutal in one way or another.

Even in a land where loosely-clothed hippies run amok, painting the walls in delicately-painted whirls.. plucking mandolins, and snorting spice. The airy exterior is rife with foul winds if you breathe in deeply.

And that holds true for everything else. This isn't a Furry-Mud village of happiness.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Northerners are lazy, greedy, wasteful and treatcherous.The lazy, greedy and wasteful are all tied into the relative abundance of natural resources.  

Instead of good kank-dung fires those lousy northerns burn wood.  Wood!  Why don't they just burn obsidian coins?  And not just waste wood either, they will throw
entire logs on their heathen bonfires, and what's the point of that?  Are they trying to roast entire mekillots at once?  Bonfires are a foolish extravagence.  Who the hell do they think they are?

Southerners belive, to some degree rightly, that food is less expensive and easier to find in the north.  Building materials (wood) are also cheaper and easier to aquire.  Since food and shelter is easier to get, northerners don't have to work as hard to meet their basic needs.  Lazy bastards.  They probably also have larger families, with more children surviving to adulthood because they aren't going hungry.  (That would help explain the apparent population explosion in Tuluk, with the potential for dark days ahead when they exceed the local carrying capacity).

Greedy, greedy, greedy.  Unskilled manual labourers think they should have fine paintings, sculptures and flowers, like they are some kind of grubby, bad-smelling nobles.  Who the HELL do these people think they are?

Treachery, don't even get me started on tretchery.  After their city was destroyed by magicks they couldn't control, who came to pick up the pieces and rebuild?  Southerners.  Good southern men and women left their families to work in the north, saving their civiliztion from being over-run by halflings and opportunistic tablelands tribes.  But were they grateful, was there one word of thanks?  No, the damned terrorists shot us full of arrows and poisons every chance they got.  Our children were murdered in their beds, our leaders were targeted at every turn.  They would even kill their own people to get one of us.  They would kill Noblemen and Templars -knowing- that the just reprisals and necessary security measures would hurt the few honest, hard-working northerners that were just trying to make a living.  They plotted against us in secret, then began slaughtering every citizen of the empire they could find.  Not just soldiers either, many merchants, traders, and migrant workers from the south were merciless cut down for no reason other than their place of birth.  Many citizens had to flee, leaving their homes, wagons, merchandice, and basically everything but the clothes on their backs behind to be looted or destroyed by the northern rioters.

Finally we washed our hands of the ungrateful bastards and left them to their own damnation, but they weren't content to let it go at that.  Our brave fighting men took refuge at Luir's outpost, a place to rest and regroup.  But the treatcery was not finished.  The Kuraci bastards turned on us and murdered our exhausted and wounded men.  With friends like these who needs enemies?  And still they were not finished.  The continued to launch senseless attacks against our holdings in the old mantis valley (hard won with 'nakki blood to end the mantis menace) and even terrorist bombings within our great city.

There is plenty to hate.  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins