Three small tweaks to selling stuff

Started by Incognito, July 25, 2013, 12:34:09 PM

May I suggest the following three small tweaks to help improve the selling experience?

1) Replace:
A shopkeeper says to you:
    "Sorry I have too many of those already"
With:
    "Sorry I have too many of those already, but I normally would buy it for 10 coins"

This will allow people to find out what an item would usually sell for, in that shop, if the shopkeeper wasn't flushed with stock. Will be of tremendous help for items that get sold very fast after reboots. Useful in deciding if you should hang on to that particular item until you are able to log in after a reboot/crash, or discard it. Specially useful if you've travelled a distance to sell your goods.

2) Add:
    "I am interested in buying rocks, stones, jewels, tools, hides and animal stuffs."
To:
    "Naw, I'm not interested in that, go find someone else who'll buy that crap."

Will help newbies as well as existing players to figure out what they can expect to sell to a shopkeeper. Especially useful for shopkeepers who deal in multiple types of goods, or, there being multiple shopkeepers in one location who deal in the same goods.
Or this could be added directly via the "talk shopkeeper rumors" command too.

3) Replace:
Offer feather
    "I'll buy that for 4 obsidian coins."
Barter
    "Come back later when I have some more funds."
With:
     "I usually buy that for 4 obsidian coins, but I'm out of funds right now."

This one's just for convenience - avoids having to put in the 'barter' command and then having to find out that the shopkeeper's out of funds.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Yes, that would be better.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Much better, not sure of implementation though.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

And I think it's more realistic too.
Fredd-

Oh Krath, yes, please!

It's frustrating to get through a whole offer/barter up/down process and then find out that the merchant doesn't have the coins or room in their inventory.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

Please.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

I see nothing wrong with these suggestions. +1!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Yeh, added information in an IC manner always gets my vote. Great idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

For some of this a discuss script could be added. Mostly I am thinking of the brief list of topic items the shop trades in.

If you view the shop keepers list, as you can do currently, you will get a good idea of how many items they have, i.e. a couple, a few and many, so on and so on. If it is more than a couple you can guess that they may well be stocked, more than a few and you can be mostly certain they will not be taking on more. (though it is not perfect, it is a good gauge currently.)

aside: view is good for other information on the item of interest in a shop keepers inventory. (just a note to newbs)

As for the shopkeeper offering an amount they might buy something at. I personally don't much care either way.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Oh come on?! You guys don't like the shop keeper mini game?  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Potaje on July 26, 2013, 04:20:25 PM
If you view the shop keepers list, as you can do currently, you will get a good idea of how many items they have, i.e. a couple, a few and many, so on and so on. If it is more than a couple you can guess that they may well be stocked, more than a few and you can be mostly certain they will not be taking on more. (though it is not perfect, it is a good gauge currently.)

There are shopkeepers who have iventory lists which run up to 4 or more screens - and it's a pain to try and figure out if they have enough of an item, or just one above or one below, just by looking at their inventory. If you have a sure-fire way of telling if a shopkeeper is over his buying limit for a particular item, please share it here.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on July 28, 2013, 05:32:50 AM

There are shopkeepers who have iventory lists which run up to 4 or more screens - and it's a pain to try and figure out if they have enough of an item, or just one above or one below, just by looking at their inventory. If you have a sure-fire way of telling if a shopkeeper is over his buying limit for a particular item, please share it here.

This so true and its even more difficult when other PCs are in there selling stuff or buying things. Screen scrolls all over the place.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Actually - if you type LIST you will see the "few, several, many, a couple, one" thing on the end of each item on that inventory list. So if you have a bunch of items you want to sell, the only ones that will trip you up, will be the ones marked "a few." Because in the game, a few can be 3, 4, or 5 items. And once the NPC has 5 items, he won't buy more.

If it's marked several or many, then he already has more than 5 and won't buy from you.
If it's marked one or a couple, he'll buy 2, 3, or 4 more from you.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Incognito on July 28, 2013, 05:32:50 AM

To get around the spam you can search for only the items you want to sell.

>list merchant shield
(shows only the items with shield as a keyword)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I dig that idea if it's not in game.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on July 28, 2013, 11:18:57 AM
I dig that idea if it's not in game.

It's in game.

>help list
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples