Stats/Attributes

Started by ScarletteFyre, July 24, 2013, 02:23:16 PM

Is it normal to start out with 3 'Below Average' out of 4 total?.. do they increase at all with age?

Within the first three hours of play you can 'reroll' your stats, 'help reroll' if you are not happy with them. Though yes, there is a chance your stats will increase as your characters age. It is why it is recommended for new players to start in the middle range of their races age.
Life sucks, then you die.

It's not really normal, no. It does happen though. Like Hachets said, reading the age range given during creation and picking something middle-aged is the best way to get better stats. Stats change as you get older also with physical attributes decreasing and mental attributes increasing. You can also submit RP logs to the staff of training and ask for stat boosts though they are rare.

Also as hachets said, during the first 3 hours you can reroll your stats by using the reroll command. If you do not like these new stats you can revert back to the original stats one time by typing 'reroll undo'.

Hope this helps and Welcome to Armageddon!

It's pretty unfortunate...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'm already past the 3 hours of play time. :(

Quote from: ScarletteFyre on July 24, 2013, 03:24:28 PM
I'm already past the 3 hours of play time. :(

In the same boat. It bothered me at first. Then it just became a facet of who my pc is. They have weaknesses. It's OK.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Not every PC is a super Hero, you are not alone. Just play the character for who it is and not for what you wish it was and it will still be fun. Not that smart? Do dumb things. Not that strong? Advoid physical labor and find a lacky to do it for you. Not that fast? Don't race a necker. Not that healthy? Sneeze on a noble cause your always sick.

There are alot of variations you can play based on low stats to make the character interesting.
Life sucks, then you die.

If your PC is either very young (below 20 for humans) or very old (over 40 for humans), they will have below average stats. Stats increase and decrease with age, however.

Stats aren't everything anyway.  I played a dwarf with poor strength.  Very annoying, but managed a long life still.  Sometimes its about the struggle and thats what makes the character who they are. 

Quote from: hatchets on July 24, 2013, 03:35:27 PM
Not every PC is a super Hero, you are not alone. Just play the character for who it is and not for what you wish it was and it will still be fun. Not that smart? Do dumb things. Not that strong? Advoid physical labor and find a lacky to do it for you. Not that fast? Don't race a necker. Not that healthy? Sneeze on a noble cause your always sick.

There are alot of variations you can play based on low stats to make the character interesting.

Basically this.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I have mixed feelings about the stats system in armageddon. However, I've lived just about as many days played on characters with low stats as I have with those with very good stat rolls, so that probably says something.

Another way of putting it is that my characters often have fulfilling lives and I have a good time playing them with low stats as I do with good ones. With great power, comes great danger. Although having low stats is "hard mode" in some respects, because you can't do some things, it's also "easy mode" in others because power attracts and sometimes it gets you killed.

However, if your current PC is "boring mode," or the concept that you had in mind simply isn't compatible with what you rolled, then I strongly feel there is a problem with it and I encourage you to seek action. The easiest solution is to store quietly before you're too involved in the game, think of a similar concept, and try again. Luck will likely give you a better set of stats next time, because below avg in 3 categories really is just terrible.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I agree, if you did chose a younger aged character. You're stats will be low. I had a character who I think I made the PC as young as I could possible make it and I got all pretty low attributes except the first one I chose and that was really high. I think that one attribute was what made me keep the character. When the character turned a year older some of the other attributes raised and it made the character much more playable.

I agree if you don't have much vested into the character or the gaming world and you don't see yourself able to play it then store it and start over.

However, I strongly suggest if you have met a person or possibly had some impact in the world you keep the character and work with it.

I would recommend doing a helper chat so you can vent this off one of them. They are really good at helping people.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Cliche but true: one of my favorite PCs rolled absolutely atrocious stats. That became part of the character and added some depth to play with. Try not to be too discouraged by so-so stats!

Use your stats as a challenge and ideas to roleplay PC's that you haven't (or have) really fleshed out.  You do have the option to reroll self within the first three hours and also have the option to undo that reroll self within the same three hours.  

Like everyone said, stats are age dependent and will decrease and increase based on age.  It might not be visible at times.  Also keep in mind, that strength, endurance, and agility all increase by peak age and decrease afterwards.  For wisdom, it increases throughout the lifetime of that PC.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I would say that they don't ever seem to increase to the point where they would be considered a 'good roll' for that age though. Like increases are pretty negligible, which is kind of a shame since technically a scrawny 13 yr old could still grow to be a brute.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 24, 2013, 09:13:52 PM
I would say that they don't ever seem to increase to the point where they would be considered a 'good roll' for that age though. Like increases are pretty negligible, which is kind of a shame since technically a scrawny 13 yr old could still grow to be a brute.

YMMV
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Since the time that stats definitely do improve with maturity , I've been happy with the development of my young ones. 
One of my favourite characters to play was stuck with bad stats. It was a daily challenge to be the worst Trooper in the unit, as well as being handicapped with my own inexperience and ignorance. I encourage you to stick with your PC, and learn by their mistakes.

July 25, 2013, 06:06:13 AM #16 Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:11:19 AM by Qzzrbl
Skills will trump stats 99% of the time.

/regularlyreellockedcarruandpeoplewithpoorstrengthranger

My advice? Just go with it. Play the shit out of that character and his low stats.

Don't do what I did when I first started playing and get spoiled to amazing rolls.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 25, 2013, 06:06:13 AM
Don't do what I did when I first started playing and get spoiled to amazing rolls.

I've never rolled an AI. :(

Quote from: Maso on July 25, 2013, 10:09:19 AM

I've managed to land AI twice so far, I think.... Is some pretty crazy stuff, but nothing truly spectacular if you're rolled the upper-end of "exceptional" before.  :P

I was really lucky with my rolls when I started playing. Landing "very good" and up across the board came to be expected at one point.

Kinda killed it for me when that gravy train stopped rolling though-- took me a long while to get over it. :/

Game got much more enjoyable now that I am over it though. ;D

The other thing is that stats are really most useful and noticeable for the first 1-2 months of play. You have a character that's 2+ months, you really start to forget what they are.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on July 25, 2013, 12:51:55 PM
The other thing is that stats are really most useful and noticeable for the first 1-2 months of play. You have a character that's 2+ months, you really start to forget what they are.

Is that 2+ months IG or RL?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 25, 2013, 10:32:19 AM
Quote from: Maso on July 25, 2013, 10:09:19 AM

I've managed to land AI twice so far, I think.... Is some pretty crazy stuff, but nothing truly spectacular if you're rolled the upper-end of "exceptional" before.  :P

I was really lucky with my rolls when I started playing. Landing "very good" and up across the board came to be expected at one point.

Kinda killed it for me when that gravy train stopped rolling though-- took me a long while to get over it. :/

Game got much more enjoyable now that I am over it though. ;D

Ha I had a character that was young got AI agility and everything else was either average or lower. I kept it because of the AI didn't know there was a reroll so didn't bother with it.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 25, 2013, 01:46:29 PM
Ha I had a character that was young got AI agility and everything else was either average or lower. I kept it because of the AI didn't know there was a reroll so didn't bother with it.

This is to be expected and a reroll might not have changed much.  Characters at or near minimum age tend to get awesome agility and low everything else, as a consequence of the age code.  I also get the impression that a lot of players making very young PCs imagine a quick young character so they prioritize agility, making their stats even more skewed.   Prioritizing stats according to a PCs natural potential rather than current circumstances will ensure that they will grow into the right stat makeup and still enjoy the appropriate benefits of youth while they are young.

Conversely, you can also make a pc who is 'young' and have not just no stats below average, but one or more of them better than good, too. Luck of the draw and stat prioritization. Getting average or better at everything with a 'young' pc though, is more the exception than the rule and the advice of others is good if you're particularly worried about yours or got particularly low ones and wish to avoid such in the future.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

My first karma role was a Dune Stalker ranger with AI agility. This was before stat prioritization.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I had someone who was 16 years old with AI wisdom, I think that was before also.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

So.. someone explain to me then what 'AI' is standing for here.. because I am going straight to 'Artificial Intelligence"...and that just doesnt fit. One stat does seem overly high.. but the 3 others are below average and was wondering if that was -really- bad. or.. normal.. with her age though I am gonna assume some of them will be going up.

July 26, 2013, 02:38:10 AM #27 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:40:21 AM by Molten Heart
If I explained what AI stood for you wouldn't believe me because the answer would be too absolutely incredible(!)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Young PCs are fun to play. But sometimes it can be quite frustrating.

Awesome.. and yet somehow I understood it.. Sweet!

If you start getting frustrated and you're afraid it will show something that isn't true to your character and you feel yourself expressing that frustration in your character find a way to take a break. Getting away sometimes is good too.

I can't believe I just said that.

AI strength was pretty nice. Especially when you have that with Exceptional agility and Very good endurance. I felt pretty unstoppable. It was also pretty silly that this PC's half way point, where regen stops, was some of my previous PC's actual full hp. Though actually, those stat roles hindered me, as I was super afraid to lose my second character of the game, and I didn't go out and explore as much as I wanted to.  I can't believe I ended up storing that PC. But after a year of not playing, I wanted to try something different.  Also, I've had more fun with PC's that had crap for stats, but ended up being surprisingly fun to play. So yea, stats don't really matter in the end, though not to say I don't cross my fingers when I roll and reroll.

On a side note, did poor get taken out of the game? Or is that something that still lurks in the character creation system?

Quote from: ScarletteFyre on July 26, 2013, 02:30:31 AM
So.. someone explain to me then what 'AI' is standing for here.. because I am going straight to 'Artificial Intelligence"...and that just doesnt fit. One stat does seem overly high.. but the 3 others are below average and was wondering if that was -really- bad. or.. normal.. with her age though I am gonna assume some of them will be going up.

If you started your character very young, then yes, it is not unusual for your strength, endurance, and wisdom to be fairly low. All of those increase with age. Let me guess, your one high stat is agility? That's the one that youth gets a bonus for.

Personally I would like it if the stat descriptors were themselves pegged to averages for a member of your race at your age, rather than the average for an adult. But they aren't. So don't fret about your BAs. You're new, right? You're going to get killed later this week anyway.

AI = absolutely incredible = highest stat range for that race.

Also, since I don't see it posted elsewhere in this thread:  http://armageddon.org/help/view/Age

QuoteAs citizens of Zalanthas gain years of existence, their bodies begin to change to conform to their age. Generally, a person will grow stronger and tougher from adolescence until they hit their prime, gradually increasing their stamina and endurance. After this peak, they will begin to lose that strength and health slowly. Wisdom nearly peaks early in life and increases slowly until death, and agility peaks in adolescence and slowly decreases into old age.

Following is a list of the average lifespan of members of each race on Zalanthas, in Zalanthan years:

Mantises 24
Half-giants 82
Muls 60
Elves 92
Humans 68
Dwarves 100
Half-elves 76
Halflings 120

Note that all races develop proportionally to their average lifespans, so a 30 year old halfling would be in roughly the same stage of development as a 17 year old human.

Hope that helps.
"You were right. I don't know if life is greater than death. But love was more than either."

Quote from: lordcooper on September 25, 2013, 04:46:37 AM
Stop bringing OOC notions into the game.  Zalanthans bleed when they get hungry

Quote from: Son of Valhalla on August 20, 2013, 11:50:37 AM

AI = absolutely incredible = highest stat range for that race.

Also, since I don't see it posted elsewhere in this thread:  http://armageddon.org/help/view/Age

QuoteAs citizens of Zalanthas gain years of existence, their bodies begin to change to conform to their age. Generally, a person will grow stronger and tougher from adolescence until they hit their prime, gradually increasing their stamina and endurance. After this peak, they will begin to lose that strength and health slowly. Wisdom nearly peaks early in life and increases slowly until death, and agility peaks in adolescence and slowly decreases into old age.

Following is a list of the average lifespan of members of each race on Zalanthas, in Zalanthan years:

Mantises 24
Half-giants 82
Muls 60
Elves 92
Humans 68
Dwarves 100
Half-elves 76
Halflings 120

Note that all races develop proportionally to their average lifespans, so a 30 year old halfling would be in roughly the same stage of development as a 17 year old human.

Hope that helps.

Also, hitting "prime" =/= hitting "adult"
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse