"High Light"

Started by ScarletteFyre, July 24, 2013, 05:07:42 AM

I've heard this reference IG, and, with my new-ness to the game.. I find myself completely and utterly lost on what is being talked about. is this some Religion.. or Worship of a Royal figure?

And I do mean 'HIS Light.. not 'High light." XD!!!

What pretty much any character would know about the saying 'His Light' is that it is basically wishing someone well in parting, like saying 'goodbye'.

It's a northern saying though, and saying it in the south may get you into trouble. A lot of trouble.

But yes, the saying refers to a being of both Royalty and Worship. A God King, of sorts.

The rest is possibly too specific for me to mention on the forums.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Awesome. Is there anything I can be directed to specifically that will help me understand it more? Trying not to be too specific, but is it something I need to know so my character isn't as clueless as I feel.

"His Light" is a saying for the Tuluk and only Tuluk and "His Shadow" is for Allanak and only Allanak. It's the Slang thread somewhere on these forums.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

July 24, 2013, 05:28:13 AM #5 Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:31:06 AM by solera
This is a good thread to find common sayings

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45624.msg756298.html#msg756298

and, Muk Utep himself

From the Tuluk helpfiles
Unlike Allanak, the city-state of Tuluk has no true Senate. Instead, the government operates in a tricameral fashion, made up of the noble faction, the Templar faction, and the Sun King's faction. The latter was and presumably still is composed of a single individual, Muk Utep himself, while the Templarate is divided into strict divisions. You have never seen Muk Utep, but you are sure he exists.

and
Gol Krathu
Gol Krathu is the ancient site where twelve wandering tribes settled after the departure of the Dragon from the Known World. The warrior-mage Muk Utep subdued and conquered these tribes and forged the city-state of Tuluk, which occupied at least half of the area of Gol Krathu at its peak. The sub-city of the Sun King Utep bore the same name as the land, being called Gol Krathu or the Ivory City interchangeably.

And , welcome!  :D

Quote from: solera on July 24, 2013, 05:28:13 AM
This is a good thread to find common sayings

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45624.msg756298.html#msg756298

Yeah, that's the one.  Thank you.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Thank you all so much! It's been super helpful. :)

"His Light" is a religious/cultural phrase used only in the northern city of Tuluk. It refers to Muk Utep, the northern God King of Tuluk.  Other variants include "His Radiance", "Walk in His Light", etc.  Basically it's something every good citizen says at one point or another in his or her life, usually to conclude a conversation.

"His Shadow", "Shade", etc are words used in a similar manner by the residents of Allanak, the southern city, in reference to their God King, Tektolnes.  As you can see, we have a bit of north/south, light/dark duality going on here.

Anyway, these words are EXTREMELY common and are used by nearly everyone in their respective cities.  There is no need to invoke "find out IC" in this case. Any commoner starting in either Allanak or Tuluk would be aware of the cultural significance of their chosen region's specific phrase or phrases.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Thanks again. :) I feel Blessed by his light! ^-^ No pun intended... >.> Okay maybe a little.

Welcome to the game! We hope you stick around!

Welcome to Arm.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The use of the word "Shade" isn't Nakki at all. It's more of a tribal parting phrase, and part of the whole "Shade and water." Basically - in a desert world where the sun is all-powerful and water is sparse, wishing someone shade and water on their travels is a blessing to *anyone*.

"Shade" is a shorter, more casual version of it, but it is just as friendly and sincere of a parting phrase as the whole it comes from.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 24, 2013, 07:53:45 AM
The use of the word "Shade" isn't Nakki at all. It's more of a tribal parting phrase, and part of the whole "Shade and water." Basically - in a desert world where the sun is all-powerful and water is sparse, wishing someone shade and water on their travels is a blessing to *anyone*.

"Shade" is a shorter, more casual version of it, but it is just as friendly and sincere of a parting phrase as the whole it comes from.

I still can't see saying it in Tuluk being a good idea.

There was a time when shade and water was the only saying. Sometimes you'd be clever and say shade and something relevant to that person. Shade and profits to a merchant. Then the player base became infatuated with a certain tribe's vernacular. Then the whole light and shadow thing came a long. That's my memory anyway. It's a shame about the whole tribal thing and his shadow thing, because I still greatly prefer shade and water.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 09:21:37 AM
There was a time when shade and water was the only saying. Sometimes you'd be clever and say shade and something relevant to that person. Shade and profits to a merchant. Then the player base became infatuated with a certain tribe's vernacular. Then the whole light and shadow thing came a long. That's my memory anyway. It's a shame about the whole tribal thing and his shadow thing, because I still greatly prefer shade and water.

I agree. Shade -should- be acceptable all over. But I accept that it isn't right now.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Regardless of the IG etymology....I can see why Tuluki's don't like 'Shade', because well...it's pretty similar 'Shadow'.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Shade and shadow sound close in English.

I mean...they are very similar in meaning. Both are good places to stay away from the light.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

"Shade" - hey, I hope you don't burn up in the sun, it's a fucking desert out there, man.
"His Shadow" - hey, I hope you know - I'm a good Allanaki citizen like you, and Highlord Tektolnes is awesome. Hoorah!

Quote from: LauraMars on July 24, 2013, 11:43:24 AM
"Shade" - hey, I hope you don't burn up in the sun, it's a fucking desert out there, man.
"His Shadow" - hey, I hope you know - I'm a good Allanaki citizen like you, and Highlord Tektolnes is awesome. Hoorah!

Exactly.

But yeah - anything that sounds like "Shadow" has a chance to get the stink eye from a Tuluki.

For the record, I've had people in Tuluk say "Shade" (rarely) to me before - I just didn't include it in my post as a "northern" thing to say because...well, it isn't right now, and this is a thread to help a new player...and there's no need to make them unnecessarily confused!

I have never heard someone in Tuluk say Shade. I've heard it in Luir's before, but that's different.

I have heard tribal's say Smooth sands, Sweet waters, Bright days, in the north.

You can use variances of His Light in the north. His Radiance is one. You can also add things to it. His Light guide you. His Light keep you safe. His Light watch over you. I've heard all of these. You should be safe with any of them.

Welcome to Armageddon, I hope you enjoy it.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Am I the only one who kinda likes the idea of saying "High Light" to someone as a parting phrase?

Quote from: LauraMars on July 24, 2013, 12:06:19 PM
Am I the only one who kinda likes the idea of saying "High Light" to someone as a parting phrase?

Anything to do with Light in the north should be appropriate. In the south I'm sure you wouldn't want say it.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 09:21:37 AM

My unaffiliated characters still say this, and they say it in both cities. I think I've only been reprimanded once for it on a 10 month lived character.

Be the change.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 12:16:35 PM

Be the change.

Done.

Then you can be a high light-er.

/ducks thrown objects

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 12:02:09 PM

I have heard tribal's say Smooth sands, Sweet waters, Bright days, in the north.

Some of these, while occasionally used by others, could be clan specific. Doesn't mean that they are the only ones that can speak it...just that things originate from certain clans and may have associations for some people. Should be kept in mind.

Quote from: Maso on July 24, 2013, 12:57:43 PM

Some of these, while occasionally used by others, could be clan specific. Doesn't mean that they are the only ones that can speak it...just that things originate from certain clans and may have associations for some people. Should be kept in mind.

With tribal's its difficult. Usually I will wait for them to say the parting word first and then I will respond in the same way. Unless its someone my character already knows and then the PC already knows how to give a parting word to that PC.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 01:35:46 PM

With tribal's its difficult. Usually I will wait for them to say the parting word first and then I will respond in the same way. Unless its someone my character already knows and then the PC already knows how to give a parting word to that PC.

But they're just Tribals! They're  like a step up from elves with round ears ! Who cares what they say. They should be grateful you talk to them at all! In fact it's a miracle you found one to stay vertical long enough to chat with. Unless you're saying bye after sex. In that case I think the correct words of parting are- Whats you're name again?

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 01:35:46 PM

I think how each of your characters responds to different cultures should be different and carefully considered. Whether they choose to adopt certain cultural mannerisms, customs and phrases in their presence as a sign of respect vs. holding their head up and sticking to their own customs says something about your characters. You should try to avoid doing anything a particular way all the time with all your characters.

In addition to the phrases, here's a document about Tuluki roleplay that you might find interesting if you've not read it before.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Tuluki%20Roleplay